What's with the Windows 10 update ?

Beans

It tied up my computer for about an hour at start-up and 3 hours for Maribeth's laptop...

It added a few apps that I don't need (I think) and has slowed down the speed @ start-up and when calling up a program...

When closing it reads update and close...

Surprise

Yup they now control your computers and can do an update when ever they want.

There are ways around automatic update in Windows 10. ;)

I happen to like Windows 10 much, much better than 8 or 8.1.

​I hated Windows 8 variants with a passion. What a horrible, useless POS that OS is.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

There are ways around automatic update in Windows 10. ;)

I happen to like Windows 10 much, much better than 8 or 8.1.

​I hated Windows 8 variants with a passion. What a horrible, useless POS that OS is.

DITTO I updated my laptop from Windows 8 to 10 as soon as it was available last fall, hated 8 as well..... made it look like a tablet :w00t: , now my older desktop is still running Windows 7 and will be until they force my hand.

DITTO I updated my laptop from Windows 8 to 10 as soon as it was available last fall, hated 8 as well..... made it look like a tablet :w00t: , now my older desktop is still running Windows 7 and will be until they force my hand.

We had 8 loaded on tablets and it was as bad or worse than trying to use it on a laptop or desktop.

We got 8 a week after it came out. Now 10. I asked our PC Guru what's the advantage of Windows 10 and she said it's better. Oh that's good info. I don't see any difference whatsoever. We do have touch screen. What is the difference, advantages? As far as auto updates I welcome them because I'm clueless as to what I need and don't need. I have been on auto update since Windows 95. I remember taking 5 hours sometimes or more to update with a 56K modem.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Win10 is full of nasty programs that monitor and report all your activities back to microsoft. That way they can use and sell all that info they get. They have even integrated some of those programs into Win7 and 8 updates. For those of you who haven't been forced to upgrade yet go to grc.com and d/l a program called Never10. It does the required registry changes and will also offer to delete any win10 files that may be already hiding on your pc. I'm really starting to hate microsoft, the sneaky my mom hates me. They say you have 30 days to revert but that's more Bull. It happened to a bud over the weekend. He had manually made one of the registry changes but didn't do the other. Wakes up in the morning to find his OS changed without permission. Microsoft even changed his drive to a GPT partition which doesn't support Win7 so he was forced to remove his drive, install it on a friend's pc so he could retrieve his data and then had to format his drive back to an MBR partition so he could reinstall Win7.

Cheers

So there is a conspiracy afoot, something new here? I have a bulletin for you. If you have a bank or Visa card they know exactly what you are doing, where you are doing it and when and who you are doing it with. If you cross the street, enter a building, go into a post office, enter an airport, actually go anywhere and they can see you. Even fishing if "they" want.

If some of my civil liberties are compromised because it saves one life because of whatever I'm fine with it because I am doing nothing wrong. Not one terrorism attach in Canada since the FLQ. There may be a day when "they" say I am doing something wrong living my life and I understand why some may be adverse to that. That day may be coming and it will be a sad day. Big Cliff says "one nail in the coffin at a time". But it is what it is, for now. When that day comes I will be ready. ( Watch now CSIS is going to knock on my door)

The above is food for thought with tongue in cheek. I get it too but other than to be involved in our democratic process what can one do? .

Pretty simple to disable all of that reporting software.

All you have to do is go into privacy settings and toggle off all of the ones you want to disable.

If you don't want it automatically updating you can tell it that your internet connection is metered and then it will ask you if you want to update.

Like I said I wouldn't be able to tell what is a required update to keep running or some spy thing. It all looks like Chinese to me. So therefor I just let them do what they want to me. I don't like it but I'm afraid some updates are necessary to keep running smooth so I just go the auto update route. What else can I do other than go back to school, too late for that, it would cut into fishing, golfing and sleeping.

Drifter the bottom line to me is that Microsoft should not be able to force feed a new OS on my pc without my consent. The fact that they are still doing it with impunity or even fear of repercussions just really bugs me and furthers the fact that there are ulterior motives afoot here. So I choose to protect myself. As for those privacy settings, it wouldn't surprise me if they were just window dressing.

Cheers

It isnt too difficult to disable all the unwanted stuff. Now you know why the upgrade was free, they probably make more money with the customers information then they wouldve selling the OS. I have yet to see a PC upgrade to windows 10 on its own though.

Win10 is full of nasty programs that monitor and report all your activities back to microsoft. That way they can use and sell all that info they get. They have even integrated some of those programs into Win7 and 8 updates. For those of you who haven't been forced to upgrade yet go to grc.com and d/l a program called Never10. It does the required registry changes and will also offer to delete any win10 files that may be already hiding on your pc. I'm really starting to hate microsoft, the sneaky my mom hates me. They say you have 30 days to revert but that's more Bull. It happened to a bud over the weekend. He had manually made one of the registry changes but didn't do the other. Wakes up in the morning to find his OS changed without permission. Microsoft even changed his drive to a GPT partition which doesn't support Win7 so he was forced to remove his drive, install it on a friend's pc so he could retrieve his data and then had to format his drive back to an MBR partition so he could reinstall Win7.

Cheers

All systems track your doings

Google does not track your every move :whistling: , I searched for stainless steel flame plates for my BBQ as they are rusting away and everywhere I go for the last 3 days I'm seeing ads for BBQ's,accessories and parts. :wallbash:

Edit; if you have an Android Tablet, Google pretty well owns your soul. Last tablet I got for my wife on boxing day sales is a Windows 10 Lenovo with a detachable keyboard, cool, it is a tablet or a mini laptop. I put Kodi on it and it is now a portable TV and I can Miracast to the big one in the livingroom too.

Edited by dave524