Weedless Shad

captpierre

I fished them last year (bought them off eBay), I didn't catch anything on them but I also never fished in areas at the appropriate time to catch fish on them (aka weedy flats/areas in the summer), I had pike follow them on Mitchell but the water was still too cold for the pike to really go after a faster moving bait. These baits are about as weedless as a weedless spoon, they go through the leafy stuff pretty well and even lily pads and sparse bullrushes alright, however tapegrass just always seems to grab the hook and leave a strand or two trailing off the hook. If the lure does foul, the weeds are usually able to be ripped off with a snap of the rod. The bait sinks (it spirals on the fall) and it has a wobble much like a lipless crank. The slowest you can reel before the action disappears is about 2 feet per second, the faster you reel the bait the more exaggerated the wobble. There pretty much is no such thing as reeling it too fast, I was never able to get the lure to blow out while fooling around with the lure. This lure also really casts well, the only time it fouls on the cast is if the line wraps around the wire guard. I have no doubt this lure will catch fish, as I said before though I never fished it in the appropriate areas during the appropriate times, I'm sure bass would hammer it as well as pike. Hope this helps those thinking of buying one/some.

Edited by Garfisher

Agree on the size being a little small for most pike, but maybe something bigger will be coming.

Spring time pike = small baits. These should work great. I probably wouldn't be using them in the fall however.

Spring time pike = small baits. These should work great. I probably wouldn't be using them in the fall however.

"Cept there are no young of the year baitfish in May that is worth a pike's (that I want to catch) time and I've never had a problem with snot rockets hitting 4-6 inch baits.