Let's Go Blue Jays !!!

Beans

Don't understand why Jays "fans" were criticizing the champagne celebration when they secured their WC spot with Baltimore. Did they forget that they had a 21 year drought and making back to back post season appearances is more difficult than it looks? Some people...

Enjoy the successes of the team this year, because the Jays will have a new look next year. I'll be VERY surprised if Shapiro/Ed Rogers decides to sign EE & JB for next year, let alone, make an offer! The two guys who helped the Jays win the WC deserve to come back.

FYI: If Rogers/Shapiro had signed David Price back with the Jays, his 17 wins would have secured us a meeting with Cleveland and could have avoided the entire WC shenanigans.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

FYI: If Rogers/Shapiro had signed David Price back with the Jays, his 17 wins would have secured us a meeting with Cleveland and could have avoided the entire WC shenanigans.

Your comment makes sense if you have an unlimited budget. But the Jays are operating with a limited budget. They signed Happ, Estrada, Chavez and another reliever for about the same price as Boston signed Price. If they had signed Price instead of those four pitchers they would have been out of the post season altogether.

I'll be VERY surprised if Shapiro/Ed Rogers decides to sign EE & JB for next year, let alone, make an offer! The two guys who helped the Jays win the WC deserve to come back.

It would be great to see them back. But the limited budget comes into play here too. Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis, etc. are all going to be need to be eligible for big raises in the coming years. It's pretty easy to say just throw tons of money at all these players; but there is a limit to what they're going to spend on the team.

Edited by JohnBacon

Don't understand why Jays "fans" were criticizing the champagne celebration when they secured their WC spot with Baltimore. Did they forget that they had a 21 year drought and making back to back post season appearances is more difficult than it looks? Some people...

I know. It's just a fun tradition in baseball. I'll bet the players didn't have more than 2-3 beer after the game anyway. And the whole thing last for about an hour at the most. Let them burn off some steam and have fun. Enjoy every victory.

I think it's the Canadian hockey fans who look at this and think of guys like Bobby Orr who never looked like he had fun once playing the game. Just put your head down and skate back to the bench after scoring. Don't even look at the Campbell or Wales trophy, God forbid it brings bad luck.

As far a budgeting for a roster if anyone here is old enough to have enjoyed and can remember the back to back World Series they won, those 2 teams were bought to do exactly that. From getting Dave Stuart's pitching away from Oakland and Dave Winfield's hitting from the Yanks as well as many key players that were instrumental in securing both championships. Not to mention the base running of Ricky Henderson in the second year if I remember right, tough to do lately. Just the perfect blend of Super Star talent to add to the solid roster that the Jay's had. The second team that won the Series was an All-Star team, they were pretty well all gone by the next 2 seasons. Stienhower's (sic) unlimited millions bought all the Yankees World Series wins back then. If I remember right either Tampa Bay or Florida did exactly the same thing one year back then. The entire team was dismantled the year after.

I don't know how MLB is structured today i.e. salary caps as is in the NFL. I know the smaller market teams were incensed when an owner could simply afford to buy a championship 25 years ago.

As far a budgeting for a roster if anyone here is old enough to have enjoyed and can remember the back to back World Series they won, those 2 teams were bought to do exactly that. From getting Dave Stuart's pitching away from Oakland and Dave Winfield's hitting from the Yanks as well as many key players that were instrumental in securing both championships. Not to mention the base running of Ricky Henderson in the second year if I remember right, tough to do lately. Just the perfect blend of Super Star talent to add to the solid roster that the Jay's had. The second team that won the Series was an All-Star team, they were pretty well all gone by the next 2 seasons. Stienhower's (sic) unlimited millions bought all the Yankees World Series wins back then. If I remember right either Tampa Bay or Florida did exactly the same thing one year back then. The entire team was dismantled the year after.

I don't know how MLB is structured today i.e. salary caps as is in the NFL. I know the smaller market teams were incensed when an owner could simply afford to buy a championship 25 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball

question answered

Your comment makes sense if you have an unlimited budget. But the Jays are operating with a limited budget. They signed Happ, Estrada, Chavez and another reliever for about the same price as Boston signed Price. If they had signed Price instead of those four pitchers they would have been out of the post season altogether.

It would be great to see them back. But the limited budget comes into play here too. Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis, etc. are all going to be need to be eligible for big raises in the coming years. It's pretty easy to say just throw tons of money at all these players; but there is a limit to what they're going to spend on the team.

I totally agree with staying in their budget, but an offer was never made to David Price. It says to me that Shapiro/Rogers had zero intentions of even signing him. At least make an honest offer and work from there.

The same can be said with EE & JB. They gave Shapiro/Rogers a chance to present them something and they just sat around doing nothing. EE's value just went up, with his 42HRs/127RBIs/99Rs and may have just priced himself too high for Shapiro/Rogers can afford. Their "wait and see" attitude is blowing up in their faces.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I totally agree with staying in their budget, but an offer was never made to David Price. It says to me that Shapiro/Rogers had zero intentions of even signing him. At least make an honest offer and work from there.

What if an offer approaching market value was not in their budget? Do they insult him with a low ball offer? Perhaps they had no intentions of signing him because they knew that an offer approaching market value was not in their budget.

The same can be said with EE & JB. They gave Shapiro/Rogers a chance to present them something and they just sat around doing nothing. EE's value just went up, with his 42HRs/127RBIs/99Rs and may have just priced himself too high for Shapiro/Rogers can afford. Their "wait and see" attitude is blowing up in their faces.

Yes, EE's value has gone up. But that could have gone either way. In fact, in Jose's case, I think it did. Jose Bautista may be worth less now than he was at the start of the year.

I am not sure what if any negotiations they had with EE & JB last year; perhaps they were just not willing to sign for an amount that the Jays were willing to pay.

Edited by JohnBacon

Either one of them would have been insane to sign in Toronto and avoid their first ever chance in their career at free agency. And, to ensure both of them were satisfied with the contracts the Jays would have definitely had to overpay for both.

Why has this even come up as a topic of conversation today?

Rogers has enough money to sign anyone. They have a good thing going with a close to full stadium most nights. They will feel the wrath if they don't manage the signed players properly and drop out of playoff contention in following years. Sometimes we fans let emotions get in the way of the right decision though. Sound contradicting??? Yup. So much comes into play with signing 30 something year old players.

Enjoying the edge of my seat for now!

Anyone find the video of the ass throwing the beer at the player? Police are asking him to turn himself in.LOL

I was at awe with the superman catch, then it went deathly quiet quick, with that one swing. I had my doughts then. Good game. Lets see what happens with Texas. I think it,s going to be ugly. Hope not.

Anyone find the video of the ass throwing the beer at the player? Police are asking him to turn himself in.LOL

I was at awe with the superman catch, then it went deathly quiet quick, with that one swing. I had my doughts then. Good game. Lets see what happens with Texas. I think it,s going to be ugly. Hope not.

May have been a chick... https://youtu.be/tr8oa_syVgI

Fans do stupid ass stuff because they drink too much a buck an ounce Beer. I remember the days sitting in section 26 at Ivor Wynne when the sound of an empty glass 26er rolling down the stairs was normal. Watching the fist fights was worth the price of a ticket.

Beer there is atleast 11 bucks

AKRINSONER, Moneyball was more about how a small market team tried to level the playing field with big market big money teams using a laptop (sabermetrics). It didn't work. My question is whether there is a salary cap now in MLB? As is in the NFL, that is how that league has created parity and competition without billionaire owners buying a Super Bowl.

Band wagon is getting full, LET'S GO BLUE JAYS, LET'S,,,,,PLAY,,,,,BALL.

I want you younger guys to experience the thrill of your home team winning the World Championship. There isn't a better feeling for any sports fan, nothing comes close.

11 bucks, maybe more than a buck an ounce.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I would like to know why the Showalter put out a pitcher with an ERA over 5 to pitch with a man on 3rd base and the clean up man at bat with their best hurler sitting in the Bull Pen with his jacket on? I thought it was mistake and couldn't believe it. I don't care if it is their best starter that pitched the day before. This is your entire season, 1 pitch, 1 single and you go home until 2017. All the sports talk shows today in the states want to know the same answer because they can't believe the move too.

What if an offer approaching market value was not in their budget? Do they insult him with a low ball offer? Perhaps they had no intentions of signing him because they knew that an offer approaching market value was not in their budget.

Yes, EE's value has gone up. But that could have gone either way. In fact, in Jose's case, I think it did. Jose Bautista may be worth less now than he was at the start of the year.

I am not sure what if any negotiations they had with EE & JB last year; perhaps they were just not willing to sign for an amount that the Jays were willing to pay.

Don't think they are short on money, because they made the news with their $1.5 billion development project in Mississauga. Lol.

AKRINSONER, Moneyball was more about how a small market team tried to level the playing field with big market big money teams using a laptop (sabermetrics). It didn't work. My question is whether there is a salary cap now in MLB? As is in the NFL, that is how that league has created parity and competition without billionaire owners buying a Super Bowl.

Band wagon is getting full, LET'S GO BLUE JAYS, LET'S,,,,,PLAY,,,,,BALL.

I want you younger guys to experience the thrill of your home team winning the World Championship. There isn't a better feeling for any sports fan, nothing comes close.

11 bucks, maybe more than a buck an ounce.

There is no hard salary cap. But there is a luxury tax.

I would dispute the claim that sabermetrics didn't work. Oakland did make the playoffs a few times while paying a much lower salary than other teams.

I would like to know why the Showalter put out a pitcher with an ERA over 5 to pitch with a man on 3rd base and the clean up man at bat with their best hurler sitting in the Bull Pen with his jacket on? I thought it was mistake and couldn't believe it. I don't care if it is their best starter that pitched the day before. This is your entire season, 1 pitch, 1 single and you go home until 2017. All the sports talk shows today in the states want to know the same answer because they can't believe the move too.

He was probably saving his closer until he got the lead. In hind sight, it appears to have been the wrong decision. The game may have remained tied a little longer if he had put him in.

Ya, it's definitely talk of the town down there. I could see how they justified putting off Britton until they scored a run. What I couldn't understand was why pitch to EE lol. No complaints on our end, but they walked EE his last at bat, but decide to pitch to him. Lol. Either way you think about it, JB would have been a tough at bat too. But still, walking EE in his previous at bat, but pitching to him with 2 on...lol.

Don't think they are short on money, because they made the news with their $1.5 billion development project in Mississauga. Lol.

It seems quite common for people to think that Rogers should be willing to lose money on the Jays because they have lots of money from other operations. I don't subscribe to that logic. I think each decision needs to make sense on it own merit.

The condo project is an investment that they hope will return a profit.

Ya, it's definitely talk of the town down there. I could see how they justified putting off Britton until they scored a run. What I couldn't understand was why pitch to EE lol. No complaints on our end, but they walked EE his last at bat, but decide to pitch to him. Lol. Either way you think about it, JB would have been a tough at bat too. But still, walking EE in his previous at bat, but pitching to him with 2 on...lol.

Walking EE last time setup the double play.

Walking him that time would have advanced a runner from 1st to 2nd and loads the bases. Moving the runner to second could result in a run if the runner on third was thrown out trying to score. Loading the basis also sets up the possible walk off walk for a hitter that does tend to walk a lot.

It seems quite common for people to think that Rogers should be willing to lose money on the Jays because they have lots of money from other operations. I don't subscribe to that logic. I think each decision needs to make sense on it own merit.

The condo project is an investment that they hope will return a profit.

Walking EE last time setup the double play.

Walking him that time would have advanced a runner from 1st to 2nd and loads the bases. Moving the runner to second could result in a run if the runner on third was thrown out trying to score. Loading the basis also sets up the possible walk off walk for a hitter that does tend to walk a lot.

Ya, lots of scenarios. It was really a situation of dammed if you do and damned if you don't. There wasn't a good course of action given the circumstances. But ya, when Jimenez gave up two hits with runners on the corner, Britton should have stepped in to minimize the damage. I think they had 6 relief pitchers last night? Tillman only lasted 4.1 innings.

Toronto Police released a photo of the beer tossing guy. I saw the YouTube video and thought maybe it was a girl, but the video was so grainy, it was inconclusive to me.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/36107

Social media sure works quick. They're identifying him as Ken Pagan, who works as a copy writer at Postmedia. lol

Edited by FrankTheRabbit