Let's Go Blue Jays !!!

Beans

Good depth move. Will keep Smoak and his many, many strikeouts out of the lineup and available for late innings defensive help. Will allow the Jays to DH Bautista and Saunders. Upton apparently has experience at 3rd too, but I can't see him having more upside than the existing infield depth already on the bench. This move definitely lengthens the lineup and adds a lot more depth. I just hope they can do something about that dumpster fire bullpen of theirs.

While we're here, I just wanted to add that there is no reason in my mind to put Sanchez in the bullpen. Last night he gave up two infield singles and one hard hit double in the 7th. He was still free and easy and in the high 90's with his fastball well beyond the 90 pitch mark as well. The kid has shown no signs of slowing down, and is probably in the conversation for the Cy Young. I think they seriously need to examine whether or not moving him is in any way going to help this team in the long OR short term. Also, why don't these restrictions apply to Stroman?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-trade-pitcher-1.3696591

He got through has first inning without allowing a run. Hopefully he will have a Grilli type revival for the Jays.

hes not pitching that badly. his ERA is inflated, was at like 2.70 going into june, met a red hot cleveland team twice, and then todd frazier touched him up, opponents batting .218 against him vs .306 against Storen.

Joaquin Benoits game log

Edited by FloatnFly

• 5 weeks later...

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I don't think there's much room on the postseason roster for Dickey. Sad, but true. In the post-season you only need 3-4 starters, and Dickey is probably ranked 5 or 6 of the current staff.

As for the prospects, this is a win now year. We may not recognize the team at this time next year. There's plenty of time to stock up on prospects. But until this season is done, age is only a number.

I must not be seeing clearly...unless Dickey is out of the post season rotation, despite Shapiro denying that.

Dickey pitched in last post season without Thole in the lineup.

I thought Shapiro was against giving up prospects? Is it a coincidence the year Shapiro leaves the Cleveland organization, his old team is finally prospering? Lol.

Not really, the teams success this year means that he made good moves in the previous years. If anything, it means that the people who complained about hiring people from Cleveland should be eating crow.

there is absolutely no debate amognst anyone that this year is a wager the farm year.

You will not retain both jose and eddy if either of them, you will not have this kind of starting pitching forever, nor will you be able field the kind of line up that allows you to sit saunders or martin just so that they can rest up for the post season.

This is the year, years like this you disregard the future and think now. Remember, winning records come and go, but banners stay up forever.

So happy to be back in Toronto while this is happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much action on this thread in the past couple weeks. I've been patient with them through this slump. But this September is turning into a month to forget. I have tickets to the game on the 24th. Hopefully it isn't a funeral.

Maybe I follow this team too closely, but I definitely find that my general outlook on the day is considerably worse when they lose the night before. Probably not healthy.

its hard to watch at the moment...theres only two ways i see this going now...they either break out and right the ship and come roaring into the playoffs on a big streak, or they literally collapse into oblivion.

The problem i am noticing is that they dont have and never had the mojo they had last year.

Wheres the "stiring it up" and the 6 eye? all that stuff is gone.

True, and I remember seeing pictures of team outings and stuff like that. No one buying everyone bathrobes, no one buying everyone scooters. JD did buy everyone cologne after that one incident but... Chemistry seems a little off this year. I know I shouldn't say this, but maybe there's too many cliques in this clubhouse. There's Spanish guys who've been playing this game at this level for how long and still prefer to use an interpreter for interviews? Just seems a little strange if you ask me. Although, there have been teams in the past who've hated each other and still managed to win in spite of each other.

Been a grind for sure, still in the hunt with just two weeks to play,

We would have killed for this 2 years ago.

The slump is bound to end, the team has too much talent. Just will it be enough to re-take the AL east, that's going to be very tough.

Hope JD is back in the games soon, his presence is needed in the lineup.

Bautista seems to be suffering from some form of brain damage! He has always been an aggressive fielder, but historically, he made good decisions. Of late, he has made some baffling running and throwing decisions, that have cost this team dearly.

I can't imagine how much money this season has cost him on the free agent market.

HH

The problem with Bautista is he's easily frustrated and flustered. He was upset that two throws he made earlier very well could have been outs and then he tried to get revenge on a throw home he should never have made, when he had the chance to get the double play/assist at first.

Kevin Barker was on Dean Blundell's show this morning and I think he said it quite succinctly that they are feeling the pressure and now they're trying too hard. Baseball isn't a game where trying harder gets you ahead. I think some of the boppers need to cut their swings down (in spite of what Zaun says) because trying to hit 6 run homeruns with no one on base isn't working either. This is crunch time guys, make something happen!

I dozed off last night watching the hockey game and woke up just as the bottom of the 3rd was ending and going into the top of the 4th. Told myself I would just watch the Jays bat and then go to bed as it was already 11:00. 45 minutes later I make my way to bed lol.

They definitely needed that, to say the least. Especially the pummelling of a pitcher they shouldn't match up well against (Iwakuma who is a sinker baller with few lefties to counter). Travis now just needs to stop trying so hard at 2nd and just make the routine plays. I said a little while ago that this team couldn't keep leaving that many men on and be kept to under 3-4 runs. Eventually they'd break out. Good to see.

now you can feel good about yourself.

You went through the dumps and you are sitting in the top wildcard spot. You cant expect to win the division every year but you are in the second best position possible. Time to take a breath and get back to what makes you good.

Boston's due to regress and Toronto might be primed to go on a run. You never know... if they're within 2 or 3 games by the time they play each other in that last series. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Playing that wildcard game scares the crap out of me. Baseball isn't meant to be a one game winner takes all sport!

Boston's due to regress and Toronto might be primed to go on a run. You never know... if they're within 2 or 3 games by the time they play each other in that last series. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Playing that wildcard game scares the crap out of me. Baseball isn't meant to be a one game winner takes all sport!

i agree with this...ive been saying for months that if they get stuck playing the wildcard...i think that they will lose. it would be a painful game to watch...id probably have a stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I have such a sinking feeling the Jays may not make the playoffs this year. The vibe, compared to last year, is a few notches down. I look over at Boston and I see the Jays of 2015. Not sure what's going on, but all cogs of the team seem to be in a grind. Not because they lost 4-0 tonight against the O's or lost 3-2 the night before, there is certainly something worse off this year than last.