Toronto Sportsmens Show report

Kawartha Kev

So I decided to take a trip to the Toronto Sportsmens show this year since it was at a new location with some new things to see and do. It is being held at the International Center so you get free parking at least. The show costs $20 for adult admission not sure about kids or families for any discounts I went alone so I just had the adult cost. Pretty similar to shows that were held before at the Exhibition and the ones at the Convention center. There did seem to be a lot more things for the kids to see and do in terms of some animal displays and things like that. They did have a big area for people to eat the usual stuff pizza, subs, burgers etc. but expensive I got a pizza slice combo with drink and a bag of chips cost $9. They also had alcohol beer etc again expensive but I did not get any. No real deals I could find although I was not really looking for much in the way of tackle etc. Saw some of the lumberjacks carving work was incredibly well done but was not around for the lumberjack show it was on later so I did not stay around to see it. Lots of other interesting things to see including boats, a helicopter, gliders armed forces stuff etc. Overall an ok way to spend a day to see and do some outdoors stuff but don't get your hopes up for any deals took me about 2 1/2 hours to casually go through the show it was not that busy but it just opened today so might get a bit busier by the weekend.

Kawartha Kev

I went to the show Wednesday 11 to 3 pm. Agree with Kev's report. Much better location at the international Center and free parking. I did not like going downtown TO for the show. Bought a Rapala for $6. Got a given a memory stick after watching the Ron James / Big Jim fishing demo. Good way to spend the day.

My wife, daughter and I are going tomorrow. We always pack a lunch and snacks at these shows. It will probably save us $30 doing this. I hate being charged $3 for a water that's worth pennies and even more for the food. Seeing the shows might make the show worth the price of admission...we will see..

I was down yesterday and enjoyed the show overall at it"s new location. Like looking at all the high priced boats with their humongous motors. Lots and lots of interesting items to be found.

Smart move on your part pics (taking your own lunch and drinks). Sandwich was like $11.00 and change and water was $3.20 bottle.

I've been in the Redwing Tackle booth Thurs,Friday.

We are in and out of the booths caring our product. Seems to me the middle of the road retailers are doing well. The high end guy doesn't look that busy. Thursday seemed like buyers and yesterday seemed like M&D and the kids or Grandparents and kids.

It's big all 5 halls, starts with hunting stuff and hall 2 is fishing and I haven't been to 3,4,5. Wear good shoes.

i went today i took the turkey hunting seminar walked around did find a 8.5 foot rod case at a good price bought three rods average price

all in all an ok show was nice to see some retailers i only order online from but it was way tooooooo hot temp. wise it was really busy today

for 20 bucks its better than a movie

For the most part the show was decent. I was glad we brought food and drinks.. I didn't buy much other than a barrel harness from LeBaron which was $15 cheaper than at Sail.. we saw Dave from wicked tuna and the dog show.. with such high prices for a booth, you won't find too many killer deals at these shows like you used to.. I bought tickets online and used the OFAH promo code so they were $15 each.. I will skip the show for a couple of years unless there's something new to draw me to it.

I found it was really really bad this year. Nikki and I needed to get out of the house (one of our pets passed away last week and it hit us harder then we thought)

The animal displays were pretty cool.

No real deals. Saw booths that claimed to have 'The best prices on reals in Canada' with Shimano Solstice's on for $80........ I don't think so.

We tried to look for the new live target pumpkinseed swimbait for Nikki but couldn't find the right one. Worst thing is, Live Target didn't have a booth so we couldn't see if the design just looked different online or if they didn't actually have it.

I looked for the live target round goby lures, couldn't find them. I looked for the Kamookie Smartfish rusty crayfish bottom bouncer, I found the red crayfish and grey crayfish, all of them $12.99 which I can get them at TRU for.

Looked for some Senkos. Found a discount pack for $5.00. Not terrible but this is a far cry for the booth where I could stuff a bag until it exploded for $5 a few years ago.

A bottle of pop was $3.25. A cup of lemonade was $4.99.

The one highlight was the company that makes the shortbread cookies we like had a deal where it was 4 boxes for $20. So that was good. Oh, and the guys that sell exotic sausage and pepperettes.

Sadly this is not the sportsman show I remember as a kid/teenager.

from what i've heard from one of the vendors, things are very slow, and not many people are actually buying anything

I went on Saturday and the place was slammed. Every booth selling products was so full you could barely move. It looked to me like booths selling products (lures, etc) were selling lots and were very busy.

This was miles better than the fishing show, not sure why they have a fishing show in February and Sportsman in March, the sportsman had way more fishing stuff than the actual fishing show. I felt like the fishing show was a waste of money, I felt like the sportsman I got my moneys worth.

I went on Saturday and the place was slammed. Every booth selling products was so full you could barely move. It looked to me like booths selling products (lures, etc) were selling lots and were very busy.

This was miles better than the fishing show, not sure why they have a fishing show in February and Sportsman in March, the sportsman had way more fishing stuff than the actual fishing show. I felt like the fishing show was a waste of money, I felt like the sportsman I got my moneys worth.

The two shows are completely independend of one another. We have two shows because two different groups choose to organize shows in the Toronto area.

I grabbed a new backpacking tent for cheap, no tax. bought some sausages, and some custom jigs. Had some expensive food, but it's beside the airport, not in Toronto anyway. Some vendors were not any cheaper than they would be normally but others were good.

I actually preferred the other location, but I live in TO so I understand why the show needed to move. It did seem slower, but it's like it used to be when I was a kid when the show was larger.

Short version: Going to the international Center was the worst part, good deals and show despite that.

I found it was really really bad this year. Nikki and I needed to get out of the house (one of our pets passed away last week and it hit us harder then we thought)

The animal displays were pretty cool.

No real deals. Saw booths that claimed to have 'The best prices on reals in Canada' with Shimano Solstice's on for $80........ I don't think so.

We tried to look for the new live target pumpkinseed swimbait for Nikki but couldn't find the right one. Worst thing is, Live Target didn't have a booth so we couldn't see if the design just looked different online or if they didn't actually have it.

I looked for the live target round goby lures, couldn't find them. I looked for the Kamookie Smartfish rusty crayfish bottom bouncer, I found the red crayfish and grey crayfish, all of them $12.99 which I can get them at TRU for.

Looked for some Senkos. Found a discount pack for $5.00. Not terrible but this is a far cry for the booth where I could stuff a bag until it exploded for $5 a few years ago.

A bottle of pop was $3.25. A cup of lemonade was $4.99.

The one highlight was the company that makes the shortbread cookies we like had a deal where it was 4 boxes for $20. So that was good. Oh, and the guys that sell exotic sausage and pepperettes.

Sadly this is not the sportsman show I remember as a kid/teenager.

Ive been told the LIVE TARGET Goby is set to be available in a coupe weeks at most Ontario retailers. Apparently they had to increase production of the new Sunfish, which caused the delay for the Goby getting here for show season.