Ice conditions?

Big Cliff

I am hoping to get out on Simco (Beaverton area) one day this week and I was wondering about the ice conditions after all the rain and run off we had yesterday. I know there is plenty of water and slush on Sturgeon lake. Any updates especially on the Beaverton area would be appreciated.

Yesterday on the west side,as Brian said 7" one side of my hut 5' away 5.5".,I have a 7'x7' inside space.We actually had drain whirl pools going with the heat on. Forgot to mention 2" of water on the way out,3" around 3pm on the way in.Crazy season for sure. Other then all our boots full of water first thing,great day to be out.Check for sure before you go. :)

I just said be careful. I got a concussion when I slammed the back of my head on the ice when there was a few inches of water on the "thick" ice when I slipped. It's not always how thick the ice is, there are other conditions to be careful of, like water on the ice. At our age we aren't as sure footed as I at least once was. A thick skull helps.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I just said be careful. I got a concussion when I slammed the back of my head on the ice when there was a few inches of water on the "thick" ice when I slipped. It's not always how thick the ice is, there are other conditions to be careful of, like water on the ice. At our age we aren't as sure footed as I at least once was. A thick skull helps.

Did the same thing myself last year, only takes a second and you don't even know it's happening, now I have a pair of "ice" boots with cleats and don't go on the ice without them.

Did the same thing myself last year, only takes a second and you don't even know it's happening, now I have a pair of "ice" boots with cleats and don't go on the ice without them.

The wind knocked me down like a feather, it can happen that fast. Just like when you slipped on the wet floor in the store. The scary part was I drove home and didn't remember driving the next day.

I was out on the West side of Cooks Bay (Gilford area) yesterday. 6-7" of really black ice with 1-3" of water on top. I wouldn't even try it without cleats of some sort. The bite was brutal though but I hear it was better on the east side of the lake. The cold night will tighten the water up and stop the toilet bowling that's going on everywhere.

I was out on the West side of Cooks Bay (Gilford area) yesterday. 6-7" of really black ice with 1-3" of water on top. I wouldn't even try it without cleats of some sort. The bite was brutal though but I hear it was better on the east side of the lake. The cold night will tighten the water up and stop the toilet bowling that's going on everywhere.

Just north of you,toilet bowling was going on good lol.

Has anyone safely been able to get out on deeper water on lady Simcoe recently? Whitefish have been haunting my dreams but I haven't even been able to target them this year. If I got out once this year, even if I got skunked I'd have scratched the itch.

What are you doing this weekend? :whistling:

News just saying huts are coming off BB point,open water,could be the end of the season now for that area? With not much real cold temps,plus the sun is getting stronger everyday,not looking good .

BP huts has to make sure his ass is covered. INSURANCE. I dont blame them for pulling them off. I would too. Too close to the big lake and it,s been real sketchy all winter season there.

BP huts has to make sure his ass is covered. INSURANCE. I dont blame them for pulling them off. I would too. Too close to the big lake and it,s been real sketchy all winter season there.

They showed a big patch of open water . No deep water for me ,nerves can't take it lol.