Report - Nip is alive and well

Rod Caster

EXACTLY.... For people who think small mouth from cool water taste muddy. Next time if you want to keep a 2lber for a meal. Kill it immediately, by bleeding it, if you are keeping it for the table. So the fish doesn't release acids from the stress of being in the live well or on the stringer that change the taste.

If you are going to bleed it, where do you do it? Back into the water, or in a cooler, or...?

If you are going to bleed it, where do you do it? Back into the water, or in a cooler, or...?

I strictly shore fish, so if I am keeping a smallie it goes on a stringer and back into the water and bleeds out there. Disclaimer I only keep smallies from a quarry that is 100ft deep in parts so the water is always cool a few feet down. Never seen one with worms from there in over 40 yrs. The difference was amazing though once an uncle explained you have to kill it right away if you want to keep it. Never take one over a couple of lbs max either

If keeping a few always bleed them out in the water then put them on ice immediately. With the crazy price for a bag of ice we fill large soda bottles with water and freeze them the night before. Throw them in the live well or simply a cooler. Lay the fish under the frozen bottles. I use the same bottles all season, just throw them back in the freezer. Rinse them off before re freezing. They will stay frozen all day in the summer and even overnight if in a cooler.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If keeping a few always bleed them out in the water then put them on ice immediately. With the crazy price for a bag of ice we fill large soda bottles with water and freeze them the night before. Throw them in the live well or simply a cooler. Lay the fish under the frozen bottles. I use the same bottles all season, just throw them back in the freezer. Rinse them off before re freezing. They will stay frozen all day in the summer and even overnight if in a cooler.

We do this for camping too. Last longer than blocks of ice and its free and re usable

Sweetspot...yes. We've always done well there, but nothing like the action this day.

In my opinion, completely unscientific but based on some knowledge and history of the lake, I'd say Nip has recovered a bit since it hit rock bottom, but in a couple more years you'll see even bigger gains. If the keep rates stay low, in 4 years this will be an absolute fish factory again. Nip just keeps trying and trying to recover...it just needed some breathing space, which I think the new MNR and FN rules are giving it.

We need to remember that Nip was never known as a size lake. It was always a numbers lake. I hear lots of people this year catching 10-20 a day, which if you compare to any other lake in the area, is a great day of fishing.

When fishing walleye on Erie I cut the gills with a pair of side cutters (wire cutters), hook it on to a stringer, put it overboard & let it bleed out for about 10 minutes while you continue trolling. When filleting them you will see they are as white as paper. No blood!

I only had to loose 1 nice stringer of fish once when I clipped the stringer to the tinny and kept trolling. The combination of trolling and the river current had to pull the wire loose. Never again. We once bought those new fangled stringers from the Sportsman show years back with the plastic locking clips and our 2 buddies went to show us their catch and we said nice stringer, all the clips opened and they lost some nice fish while trolling. I cried too because it was supposed to be supper. I will never troll with fish in the water again. I will bleed them out when putting all the tackle away for the ride back in. No more stringers for me. A good line through the gills for only a few minutes. That blood also makes fish moist.

I never bleed fish out. Just a personal preference, never noticed a difference to be honest.

Most of the fresh water fish taste the same or earily similar.

Cook a crappie, a pike, a walleye, a sauger, a perch without breading etc and tell me which tastes better.

The only on with flavour, imo is crappie.

The rest need to be breaded and fried, seasoned to impart any flavour.(or souped/griĺled)