Report - Nip is alive and well

Rod Caster

Me and my Dad had a ridiculously good day of fishing yesterday. In 3hrs we caught 53 walleye. Only a couple were under 14", the biggest was 21" and we actually managed to keep our limit of 2 each over 18.1". It was a workout running around tending lines and changing minnows.

Tons of fun!

IMG_2201_zps9nvllvbr.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsdsyz6txz.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsreopjwnh.jpg

IMG_2231_zpsbmzqwf2a.jpg

What a great day on the ice, way to go guys, fantastic report, thank you for some good news finally out of Nip. It's about time that a good report of fish came from Nippising. The changes in the commercial fishery is one reason why I hope. It is only about one single day of fishing though. Let's all hope it's not a fluke and we can look forward to the day that they raise the keep numbers for the sake of the businesses up there. The outfitters up there need this badly. Man Nip is where I caught my first non panfish. The in laws had a wonderful place at Bear Creek. I was so green I used my brothers spinning outfit and it was left hand reel so I turned it upside down to reel with my right. That was until a kind fisherman showed me how to switch over the handle. I hope my in laws had a good chuckle watching me fish upside down.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Surprisingly, the outfitters are doing very well this year. I assume because of the lack of ice down south.

I did very well on Wednesday and Thursday as well, so I'm thinking it wasn't a fluke... But that's all at the same location.

It's not a fluke. We murdered them in the summer as well. Quality is poor, and it took us many fish to boat some nice eaters. But on the other side of the coin, triple headers where common. If the fish can gain some ground size wise, and the natives can restrict their netting a little bit, Nippissing will be great once again!

If anyone has never cut out the cheeks do it. Cut to the bone about 3/4 of the way around and simply peel them of the skin with the blade of the knife.

Has anyone tried Walleye wings? That is the meat behind the head to just past the pec fins, more meat than a cheek too. Use a electric knife or as we have giant Walleye here on Erie I actually use a Sawsall to cut through the spine and you get a salmon type steak. There's lots of meat there. The pec fins are left on so you hold onto them like chicken wings to gnaw on the cheek type meat.

I take pride in my fish-cleaning skills. Waste as little as possible with nice presentation.

I'll try bleeding the keepers next time. I usually only do that with rainbow trout so why not apply that to ther species

EXACTLY.... For people who think small mouth from cool water taste muddy. Next time if you want to keep a 2lber for a meal. Kill it immediately, by bleeding it, if you are keeping it for the table. So the fish doesn't release acids from the stress of being in the live well or on the stringer that change the taste.