Bow mount trolling motor: hand or foot control

krawler

Just curious which people prefer to use. Bought a boat and looking to buy a trolling motor and there is a difference in price between the two. hand control is cheaper whic i like. ive used foot control and its nice but does hand control do the trick just as well? looking at 55 lb thrust model, dont care which manufacturer.

any thoughts into preferences?

thanks

I am off to BPS on Wednesday to get me a MK Power Drive with a foot control. I like to have 2 hands available when on the rare ocassion I have a fish on, I see it as a disadvantage to have to take a hand off the rod to control the motor plus I`am the type that likes to slooooow troll for eyes once in the while and I like to do it from the back of the boat and the long cable on the Minn Kota allows me to do that.

It would be nice if BPS would start dropping prices to match the exchange rate.

I have a bow mount cable steer, I have also used a transom mount hand steer. The bow mount is the third for me, all cable steer, I prefer them and wouldn`t buy a non-cable steer. LOL I like both hand free to fish, and when I step on the pedal I know what to expect.

Yup, my preferrence is for a foot control too.

Just don't leave it in the constant run position when you throw the boat cover over the prop or your week will be much more expensive than you'd planned on :oops:

I'm going shopping in an hour........

Minn Kota power drive here and I like the idea of the foot control, much better than takin a hand off a rod, BUT.....the foot control with this motor, is kind of cumbersome to use. Ya have to use your hand to finely tune the speed because they put the ON/OFF toggle just underneath it so i end up turning my motor off all the time when adjusting speed. And even when steering to the right, same thing, i sometimes hit the ON/OFF toggle and end up turning the motor off.

Disregard all of the above..........i just looked up Minn Kota, and looks like they redesigned the whole foot control, and it looks like they took care of my gripe. One year too late as far as Im concerned LOL

A what the hey I will be the devils voice.

While I have a bowmount cable assy I find that I need to use a leaning post while using it to keep my balance since I am standing on one leg. I have found that after a long day of being on one leg the leg is tireder than the other leg and when I get back to the dock I walk in circles. The Grey Goose has a hand bow mount unit that after you set the speed you can steer with your legs it is nice but was a pain to keep reaching down to adjust the speed. I installed a BIG FOOT switch on the floor to turn it on and off and it is a very nice motor to fish with the next time my Cable motor breaks I think I will go with a hand bow mount with a floor switch or a recessed foot controler so I can have both feet on the floor.

Art

YES i have had both foot control and hand control....i do prefer the foot controller but art does have a valid point and i know what he means,i suppose its a matter of choice as i have see the big time pro"s use both so....they will both get the job done,so its up to you,and if price is what matters most,then you know what to get....i have a minn-kota 55lb as well so there is pros & cons to both....good-luck in your decision cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hand Control for me, I have used both, I'm over 40 and like to stand on two feet, so i steer with my knees. Both hands are free. I never use a seat when fishing, if you do maybe the foot control is better. I fish a lot and like to keep my stuff a long time, so the technologically simpler it is, the better, less can go wrong, I've seen too many trolling motors with problems because of screwed up cables and steering mechanisms. I drive standard too. Hate automatic. Tiller all the way.

I have and like the Minn Kota foot control model with the cable steer. I have had to replace the cables twice but that's in 22 years. I keep thinking about upgrading to a newer one every spring but the dang thing just keeps on running. However, next year is the year I'm going to upgrade for sure as I'm saving my Cabela points to get a free one hopefully by then.

If you watch carefully during any of the fishing shows, all the pros use the cable steer foot control trolling motors. My cousin had a power drive and the foot control was screwed up and you never knew which way you were going to go. There have been a LOT of trouble over the years with the control on the power drive models.

thanks for the input fellas ... think ill go with the hand control. i dont like the balancing act with one foot elevated. i have big feet too so i remember was a hassle on my buddys minn kota. always used my hands to point in the direction i wanted to instead of my feet. maybe i have two left hands. i have no raised platform on the front so hand control might be a bit more level instead of having to bend down constantly.

once boat comes and i fully rig it ill post some pics. its a lund alaskan ss by the way with a 75 hp yami 4 stroke

krawler

The one foot raised thing has been solved by ingenious engineers. You install the foot pedal in a cut out insert on the deck that makes the pedal level with the deck. I've used this for 2 years now and it definitely makes a difference in foot and leg fatigue.

If you're not a person that will be fishing docks or very tight areas, the maneuverability advantages of the foot control are then overstated.

I've used a hand control in a flooded forest and with a 20 foot bass boat, I hardly got a cast in for fear of bumping a tree and having a rattler land on my head.

Charles

My Bro and I just got a 55lb minn kota with auto pilot and the keyless steer.. i forget the proper name for it. It came with the foot pedal....but we only use the remote. It looks like your keyless entry to your car but it can clip on your clothes or on your rod.

I'm also very happy with the auto pilot function. we haven't used the pedal yet. pedal is better then hand steer but the remote takes the cake.

good luck with whatever you choose.

ps. i think depending on your boat and if it has a flat carpet floor one may be better then the other. i can't see the foot steer being that great in a tin-ie