Just in case you've never tried to hear a Verado run

irishfield

275 Hp Verado at 4.5mph trolling for musky. See if you can hear it over the water pump pee noise and water gurgle.

Beauty day out there for Dec 5th, only thing that could have made it better would have been a big gal. Oh well, thanks for the day Terry!

Why would I want to listen to the kicker clacking away Mike? The Verado burns 0.5 US gallons / hour (2 litres/hr), trolling at 5 mph. The kicker would be using the same or more fuel, be at about 75% power to do 5mph with my boat, be noisy and have much less boat control than the center drive of the main engine and you also probably wouldn't hear the reel clickers pulling drag over the sound of the small engine at high power setting.

Now if you're just learning the water and aren't overly sure where the rocks are on your trolling path, when out on GBay, yes you definitely use your kicker as a sacrificial lamb until you know the water like the back of your hand.

Now if I was downrigging for Lakers at 1.6 mph, I'd be on the kicker or the electric trolling motor. The slowest the Verado will push the boat at 550 rpm idle is 2.8 mph

Edited by irishfield

Even if it didn't I'd still be running it for the silence alone! A full 7.5 hour day of Musky trolling for 15 litres of premium. Another 20 litres or so running back in from the end of the trolling run (about 1/2 an hour from the ramp at 35 mph) while burning 10.5 USgallon/hr. An entire day of fun for under 50 bucks... as long as you don't hit anything!! :stretcher: or lose a $100 bait!

Even if it didn't I'd still be running it for the silence alone! A full 7.5 hour day of Musky trolling for 15 litres of premium. Another 20 litres or so running back in from the end of the trolling run (about 1/2 an hour from the ramp at 35 mph) while burning 10.5 USgallon/hr. An entire day of fun for under 50 bucks... as long as you don't hit anything!! :stretcher: or lose a $100 bait!

That's amazing!!!!

I burn 30-50$ a day with my 16' 50hp set up...

I do run around a lot though and troll 5mph most of the year...