Hydro bill. Nf

mr blizzard

I know this has been covered before but just curios what your total monthly winter hydro bill is

The 3 of us have 1 shower each per day

Oil fired furnace

Usually just have one light on inside at night

Hardly use dishwasher

Put clothes on drying racks over registers to dry

Have electric hot water tank

And yet our last bill was 345.00 for the month

Ouch

Water levels r low and diesel is being used to generate power

Edited by mr blizzard

I think most of us have the same concerns. I have 1300 ft square home, one level, heat strictly with wood, one baseboard on lowest setting in my work shop, same drying technique you use, two small freezers, electric hot water. Our bills are usually over $300 month in the winter. However our actual usage is around $150, but climbs to over $300 because of all the extra charges.

that's really high guys.. my last monthly bill was 108 all in. it's usually in the 100-140 range all year. 1600 sq/ft split level

wood/natural gas for heat, gas cooking, everything else is on electricity (including hot water).

Edited by Raf

Soon to be 38 lol

If I was confident we could stay here I would look into a windmill, solar panels, but then how many years does it take to re coupe your investment to the stage u start coming out ahead

On an off note we have do drive approx. 1 1/2 hours south to cut wood if we were going to offset a different bill being heating oil

Mine has been around $100/mo so far. Only been in this house since June though. 1500sq ft split level, gas heat, everything else is electric. I haven't turned on any baseboard heaters yet though....woodstove is getting installed next week! I hope to never use them. I'm a hydro nazi.......keep everything to the bare minimum, and stumble around in the dark a lot LOL

S.

Sounds like a lot of $$! My house is 2200 square '. Heat is forced air gas (Carrier furnace & A/C), dryer, hot water tank is gas. Gas is 121.00 per month, electric bill is $125.00 average. Only 2 older people in the house (oops forgot the dog), & we are rather miserly with the use of lights etc.

just checked our bills

gas is 60 / month equal billing - furnace and cooking stove

we also heat with wood as a secondary source which keeps the gas bill down

hydro is 100-140 monthly - hot water, a/c and everything else

1600 sq/ft

it's hard comparing cost of hydro across provinces/territories. a hydro bill from quebec or manitoba (lowest in the country) means nothing against a bill in ontario.

I dont know how they do this ...?

If it's an older meter, you can (but don't get caught) hang a strong magnet to the side, top or wherever; that you see the spinning wheel slow down and it will be (Just saying) steeling hydro. The new smart meters are all electronic and will not be affected by a magnet.

I knew and older electrician that was able to connect before the meter, with a relay system. When the breaker in the panel was turned on, that circuit was fed through the meter, looking 100% normal as far as hydro could see. If you turned the breaker off, the relays would trip and feed that circuit from before the meter. Very cool set up; but again it's steeling hydro and is it worth it for a few buck?

Dan.

It's those darn grow lights they use to grow their "tomato" plants Steve.

Our place is 1500 sq ft on two levels, raised bungalow. Propane kitchen range, hot water heater, furnace, and fire place. We have friends staying with us so 4 adults, our average monthly hydro bill is about $184.00/ month

Edited by Big Cliff

Last electric bill, $68 and we aren't burning candles

That's incredibly low. What are the details of your home and what is running off gas/propane/oil vs hydro

Edited by Raf