Need to re fog Yammy?

captpierre

Some day you should stop taking stuff so literal Mister G, you'll live longer!

Yah, you can probably buy a cartridge thru hull pump for 50 bucks. Consider what it's going to cost you when your boat is down to the water line while tied to the cottage dock. Then finding a gas powered water pump to get the boat floating again and what in it's contents has been ruined by going to "level floatation". Let alone trying to figure out why it sunk in the first place. All prevented with $3 worth of plumbing antifreeze.

Edited by irishfield

Here's a question for you handy guys.....my etec has a fuel/water separator under the hood. The dealer that sold it to me said not to touch it for 3 yrs, and another marina said the same thing. I find that very weird; if there's water in there, isn't it likely to break?. Shouldn't it be changed annually?

Edited by cram

Verado has the same thing, or similar. Coarse filter (before the fuel rail fine filter) and it's also a water separator, complete with monitor contacts and the smartcraft gauges will display water is detected.

I disassemble, drain canister and change this filter every year. 30 bucks well spent.

As for water and cracks... as long as you get good gas, tank filler lid is closed, probably not a big chance of having enough water in there to do any damage if you neglect it.

Verado has the same thing, or similar. Coarse filter (before the fuel rail fine filter) and it's also a water separator, complete with monitor contacts and the smartcraft gauges will display water is detected.

I disassemble, drain canister and change this filter every year. 30 bucks well spent.

As for water and cracks... as long as you get good gas, tank filler lid is closed, probably not a big chance of having enough water in there to do any damage if you neglect it.

Thanks Wayne. I'll do that next year.

Some day you should stop taking stuff so literal Mister G, you'll live longer!

Yah, you can probably buy a cartridge thru hull pump for 50 bucks. Consider what it's going to cost you when your boat is down to the water line while tied to the cottage dock. Then finding a gas powered water pump to get the boat floating again and what in it's contents has been ruined by going to "level floatation". Let alone trying to figure out why it sunk in the first place. All prevented with $3 worth of plumbing antifreeze.

OK Margie............................

I take my opti to merc tech. Plugs in the computer and the motor winterizes it's self, pretty easy. Can't use premium in the optis. Been using optis for 10 years and never had issues with bad gas. Never had issues at all. Gas in boat tank doesn't last more then a week or two. I been using seafoam twice a month since spring and more since fall. Motor runs great and is as clean as I have ever seen it. That seafoam is good stuff.

Edited by jtracc

No premium on opti's. The higher octane will cause the motor to over heat and blow the power head due to the timing. The computer can't compensate so it will knock and ping, over a short time the power head will blow. The computer will store the info and any warranty will be voided. Merc recommends lower octane fuel and highlights the importance of not using higher octane fuel.

What's wrong with Seafoam? It's a fantastic product and works better then anything I have tried. Quick clean cant even do what this stuff does. You can eat off my exhaust ports.

Pls don't knock what you don't understand.

Thx

Joe

No need to be cleaning something constantly if you're burning the amount of fuel you claim, especially in a timed fuel injected 2 stroke. Probably not even the need for stabil if you're going through that kind of fuel.

Must suck not being able to get gas at most marinas, since most have gone strictly to ethanol free premium to appease customers. Premium may burn slower, but it certainly isn't going to burn hotter if you aren't adding any extra air.

As for knocking what I don't understand, don't even go there.

BTW, you seem worried about voiding your warranty. I can guarantee there's a bigger chance of that happening running Seafoam than what the Opti is recommended to have added to it's fuel, being Quicksilver Quickleen. Fuel recommendation is 87 octane and Premium 92 is acceptable.

I think you need to find a new service tech that isn't so quick to brainwash while taking your money.

Edited by irishfield

The computer will store the info and any warranty will be voided. Merc recommends lower octane fuel and highlights the importance of not using higher octane fuel.

If that's the case, another reason to avoid Mercs. Who really knows what's coming out of the pump.

You're a piece of work Mister G, thanks for reminding me of why I had stopped trying to help guys here with technical advise.

Have fun lads, bust'm if you can.

...he's a Etec fanatitic Wanye he's already been brainwashed ,don't let one ignorant idiot affect the help you give the rest of us

No need to be cleaning something constantly if you're burning the amount of fuel you claim, especially in a timed fuel injected 2 stroke. Probably not even the need for stabil if you're going through that kind of fuel.

Must suck not being able to get gas at most marinas, since most have gone strictly to ethanol free premium to appease customers. Premium may burn slower, but it certainly isn't going to burn hotter if you aren't adding any extra air.

As for knocking what I don't understand, don't even go there.

BTW, you seem worried about voiding your warranty. I can guarantee there's a bigger chance of that happening running Seafoam than what the Opti is recommended to have added to it's fuel, being Quicksilver Quickleen. Fuel recommendation is 87 octane and Premium 92 is acceptable.

I think you need to find a new service tech that isn't so quick to brainwash while taking your money.

Went over my manual, it does recommend 87 says higher octane runs cooler and causes excess carbon build up. It can also cause knocking. I take my merc to Top Gun Marine, have for years nough said about that.

If one was fat and unhealthy then went on a diet and worked out and lost the weight, would one stop what is working or continue with the success?

Just saying.

I do appreciate all the helpful info you provided for me... I'm glad theirs guys like you that can point guys like me in the right direction. I think I'm gonna call you "tips"