November 11

Rodbender

my opinion, these brave people deserve much more than 2 minutes a year to be remembered, should be a national holiday, no businesses open whatsoever. my boss was at a gas station recently, a guy walked in carrying poppies to sell, the attendant, who was clearly of certain background, had no clue what the poppy stood for. my boss lost it on him, saying this 'you come to this country, and you have no clue what that stands for? I will never shop here again'

As far as our store goes, we refuse service for those 2 minutes, we drop our knives, turn up the radio to hear the service playing, step back and reflect

the most powerful image you will see

1555409_727072497382909_4715884090354690

Rodbender brought it up this time Roy!

I never go to work on November 11th and my plastics plant was never open during daylight that day either. Employees present at the cenotaph got paid for the day, the others I could care less.

Edited by irishfield

We have a cenotaph here at work but most years only the office staff and those not in production can attend . I have no idea what they are doing this year but they usually have a piper for the last post along with a few veterans. We may receive an invite but it's up to the department manager to let us know and they rarely do.. I'm on nights so I might just attend the service at the warplane museum...

FloatnFly,,,,,,,,I love that image u posted

Ever Nov 11 I bring out my grandfathers bronze medallion recognizing the sacrifice he made and place it in the living room, he too never came home

Not too get off topic but it burns my u know what when anyone from anywhere who comes here to live, to have a better life than where they came from cannot take the time even for 2 bloody minutes to appreciate the sacrificies that were made . Yes enjoy the quality of life that has been afforded to you but appreciate the fact these freedoms did not happen at the wave of a magic wand, this applies to anyone living in this country

FloatnFly please pm me where I can find that picture

FloatnFly,,,,,,,,I love that image u posted

Ever Nov 11 I bring out my grandfathers bronze medallion recognizing the sacrifice he made and place it in the living room, he too never came home

Not too get off topic but it burns my u know what when anyone from anywhere who comes here to live, to have a better life than where they came from cannot take the time even for 2 bloody minutes to appreciate the sacrificies that were made . Yes enjoy the quality of life that has been afforded to you but appreciate the fact these freedoms did not happen at the wave of a magic wand, this applies to anyone living in this country

FloatnFly please pm me where I can find that picture

I had some one ask me today why I was wearing a flower on my coat :dunno:

My responce was not nice :D

I had some one ask me today why I was wearing a flower on my coat :dunno:

My responce was not nice :D

I think that is a shame, In all likelihood, you were presented with an opportunity to share what makes the day so special with a person who had an honest interest, having noticed that all of a sudden many of the people in this person's new country were starting to wear the same flower on their lapel. Here is a person in a new culture, seeing things they have never seen, and when they ask a question, they are greeted with what you describe as a not nice response? Is that what our forefather's fought for? I think not

A few years ago I had the pleasure of working with one of the smartest people I have ever met. She was kind, caring and such an open honest person that if you took 5 minutes to speak with her you couldn't help but like her - and everyone at my company did. She was also an absolute wiz with computers and math, She was able to create solutions to problems that I knew could be done for years, but I had never mt anyone who had the ability to turn it into a solution She could do it in 3 days . I can tell you, that in 30 + years in the business world, I have NEVER seen anyone with her skills. She was born in China. In one discussion we had, she relayed her shock at reading the events of Tienanmen Square, when the students rebelled in 1989 - because the Chinese press completely suppressed these events. IT DIDN'T happen. If you hear about it at all, it was western propaganda. Her friends who still lived in China could not be persuaded otherwise.

We think that the World Wars and their effects were universal. They weren't. The combatants were European, and to a lesser extent, much later in the game, North American. Those countries that had ties to the British Empire joined to support Britain But for many countries, this has no historical relevance.

A lot of folks here are gonna disagree with me, saying that if you come here you oughta know. A wiseman once said something about walking a mile in someone else's shoes before judging.

In past years I had been working on Remembrance Day. So I observed a minute of silence at my work area. This year I'm laid off. I will be attending our local Legion for their Remembrance Day ceremony. As far as people who don't know the meaning of the poppy - Disgusts me!

my opinion, these brave people deserve much more than 2 minutes a year to be remembered, should be a national holiday, no businesses open whatsoever. my boss was at a gas station recently, a guy walked in carrying poppies to sell, the attendant, who was clearly of certain background, had no clue what the poppy stood for. my boss lost it on him, saying this 'you come to this country, and you have no clue what that stands for? I will never shop here again'

As far as our store goes, we refuse service for those 2 minutes, we drop our knives, turn up the radio to hear the service playing, step back and reflect

the most powerful image you will see

1555409_727072497382909_4715884090354690

Very well said FloatnFly.

^^

Well said spincast !! Spoken like a true Canadian.

I kept my post short so yes I said it's because of Remembrance day and my Grandfather fought for this..

His responce was make all guys look Queer here in Canada thats when I lost it

I'll have to remember to include all info on this site sorry for the shot first post

Paul, my dad was Navy for 5 years during the war and most of the men in my family fought but probably the worst stories came from an uncle who was in a Japanese prison camp in Burma for a couple years.

The horror stories he told us made it hard to believe what some humans could do to others to inflict as much pain as possible.