defending your property in ontario...

manitoubass2

not being paranoid it called being prepared for whatever comes my way, while there is some weapons stashed around the house, also have a hammer in each room and a rope ladder in the upstairs in case of fire smash window and get out, several extinguishers, kitchen utility room bedrooms, have the genny ready to go in less than 5 minutes to keep heat going if theres a blackout coleman stove and propane cylinders in a easy to get spot as well as several rechargable flashlight always ready to go. couple extra fishing rods upstairs in case of flooding

I just plain dont worry about defending my house. Sheesh, some of you guys are paranoid!

If someone breaks into my place they're going to be in for a big shock! I have nothing worth stealing lol!!!

S.

X2 my friend. Just don't understand at all. Fortunately we have a neighbour across from us and one right beside us who have houses and yards out of a magazine. No chance in hell some moron is going to look at our modest abode and think it is the place to target. I mean I have 2 Hyundai cars in my driveway...lol

Well - let me tell you something - I have had two occasions in my life that I pulled out a handgun I was carrying - on both occasions I believe just showing the gun saved me from being beat up or maybe even killed - both times this happened in Newark New Jersey were I was attending college at night back in the 60's - I'm a NRA member now and have a permit to carry - I have a 38 special in my van all the time and put this gun in my waist band depending where I'm going

I often fish at night and at times I'm the only one in the parking lot when leaving the water - I have my gun with me - it makes me feel safer -

I fully believe that we have the God given right to be able to defend ourselves and our family - and no state has the right to take this right away - I thank our founding fathers for having the wisdom to give us the 2nd amendment -

There are a lot of people who don't like guns - some are afraid of them because they are not familiar with them and don't want to own one - but remember our country was formed with guns, it has been defended with guns and it stays free because of guns - liberty and freedom have a price -

What do you all think would happen here if we had a population of 320 million people instead of 35 million give or take for roughly the same land mass? Don't get too high on your horse , it hurts when you fall off.

That's not the reason things are different here and if you compare our density to the actual places we live the difference you are trying to pin this on isn't nearly as significant.

If we multiplied our population by almost ten, you would see many of the same issues as in the USA. It would be hugely significant. We live in a pretty sweet little bubble here. Enjoy it, but don't be so quick to judge the issues other countries face within their borders.

Population density doesn't explain away this issue. There is a long list of countries that have higher density then the US that do not have the same issues. You are right, it is their issue, not ours and I don't want it here.

What do you all think would happen here if we had a population of 320 million people instead of 35 million give or take for roughly the same land mass? Don't get too high on your horse , it hurts when you fall off.

You realize that the majority of them have populations that aren't even touching on that of the US? Anyway, we'll have to just disagree here.

You do realize that your premise was population density?

I lol'd

Sorry

x2...

let's see....without reaching too deep into the population density item.... Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, come to mind for higher density and pretty well non existent mayhem from madmen with weapons whose design has nothing to do with the intent of the 2nd amendment - which was referring to a citizen's right to protect itself from a government attempting to trample on their rights.. and.....not quite sure how the 2nd amendment got brought into a discussion on Ontario... oh wait, yes I am... Trump for president!

Smaller town and rural US has crime statistics not unlike Canada, it is when you get to certain districts in majour urban centres like NYC, New Jersey, D.C. , Detroit, Chicago etc. that things get really skewed , funny too that those areas have gun control at the state and city level stricter than we have in Canada. We just luckily don't have those urban hotspots yet.

Smaller town and rural US has crime statistics not unlike Canada, it is when you get to certain districts in majour urban centres like NYC, New Jersey, D.C. , Detroit, Chicago etc. that things get really skewed , funny too that those areas have gun control at the state and city level stricter than we have in Canada. We just luckily don't have those urban hotspots yet.

How many of the cities that you mentioned have a larger population than Toronto? Last time I checked Toronto's murder rate was below Canada's national average; so there must be more than just population involved.

Edited by JohnBacon

Yes it's funny, have a laugh, I can take it. What Dave mentioned is pretty accurate though, and not just small town Midwest. Most of the violence occurs in US cities. Your example primarily centres on Europe, and they are no strangers to violence. I wouldn't trade american domestic issues for those faced in Europe for a second. You and I aren't likely to see a tank rolling through our neighbourhoods any time soon. There is a distinct possibility that could happen over there in the next few years. Anyway , I concede defeat to wikepidea statistics, but I stand by what I said, because I believe if we had the same population as the US, with similar levels of poverty and the drugs and crime they have, I'm guessing we'd be in the same boat. Everyone likes to crap all over the US, but they sure turn to them pretty quick when they need a hand.

That is an incredibly insightful post.

I wish more people understood this.

More and more, America is becoming split down the middle ... morally, politically, culturally, behaviorally ...... and interestingly, the boundary of that split is often urban vs. rural.

Lastly, it's also interesting that the large majority of American gun-toting, flag-waving, ammo-hoarding, second amendment cowboys (and yes, they certainly do exist, in large numbers) live in areas with low gun-related crime rates.