Rainbow trout trip report

adolson

I have tried to catch rainbow trout over the past few years in the few lakes that are somewhat close to my place. My luck with them was nearly as bad as with auroras - only I know that rainbows exist, since I've seen them. I had a small one fall off at shore and bounce back into the lake last year, and this year, I had a real nice one that my brother failed to net before it jumped and shook off the hook at the side of the boat.

Finally, on Monday, we took a trip a couple hours north, to a small, quiet lake that neither of us have fished before. As we launched the canoe, my brother looked down into the green-tinged water and saw one swim past us. It was surely a sign of good things to come!

About 15 minutes later, as we approached the 1/4 mark of our first troll around the lake, my red go-getter gets a few taps. I set the hook, and the fight is on! It didn't last long, and my brother managed to net the beauty fish. And with that, my luck instantly changed.

My brother was next to hook into one, with his blue/silver Little Cleo rig. He fought it for a bit, but it launched a few feet into the air and shook the hook. He was pretty disappointed, but we pressed on.

A short time later, I got another few taps, set the hook, and landed my second rainbow in one day. I was at once pumped and in disbelief, not to mention, feeling kinda bad for my brother, who had now fallen behind by two, much like a Maple Leafs game.

He stuck to his setup, and I stuck to mine. Perhaps his luck was changing - he hooked one, and got it to the side of the boat. I shoved the net under the trout and he was on the board, and his spirits lifted again.

My turn again, and I land my third trout of the day, all on the same setup. This one is a pretty nice size, biggest of the day.

From here, my brother landed two more, tying up the game at 3-3. We hadn't been there for too long; a couple or three hours, give or take. Unfortunately, my brother decided to run his mouth about how we would limit out in no time, and be home in time to cook it up for dinner. I warned him about saying such things...

We tried casting, jigging, trolling, for another hour or two, and nothing. I put on a Rapala taildancer and made a pass around 15-20 feet of water. Right as I was reeling in to change lures again, wham! I hook into my fourth rainbow of the day/year/decade. I land it and pull ahead of the youngster. And, after a bunch more hours later, the sun goes down and we are freezing our fingers off, this is how it ends. We pack 'er up, and head to Chester Chicken for some 1/2-price wedges and drinks for the trip home.

All in all, a good day - no; a great day! He and I tackled auroras last year with no success (same as everyone else on the lake...). With our success for rainbows, a trip for auroras this year is not totally out of the question. But don't expect to see any reports about it, because I'm still not convinced they actually exist.

Here are a few pics for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing.

12010562_10153579331785928_8095877631993

12006697_10153579332130928_6655634711125

11850469_10153579332910928_4617392977672

12028685_10153579333090928_8723056382762

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone!

Yep they're the most finnicky of all the trouts. Go-getters are usually my no. 1 presentation for them too.

I actually never used go-getters until I watched Chad land some nice specks with them, and then my bro getting walleye with them. I'm a believer now, especially after this trip.

Great to see you posting some great fish outings Dara.

Thanks, Br-- wait, who's Dara? ;)

Beauty trout.... I've always done well on inland trout with loooooooooong flatlines. And a red and white mepps tipped with a worm and troll the shoreline in 10-20. Never fails.

I seem to have line twist issues so I tend to not use spinners all that much anymore. Even when I use swivels, it doesn't seem to help that much. There must be a secret to it?

Go for the auroras while karma is good man!

It might happen... Gotta see what our schedules are like the next few weeks. Have you tried for them yet, yourself?

For back lake rainbows I used to use the tiny flatfish in black silver "skunk" pattern we called it and they were only like 1.5-2.5 inches long the smallest ones I think I remember and the trout would go crazy over them .... They out fished almost everything and I swear made them strike as they wobble and entice them and same type scenario I would troll them and drift with them also the Panther Martin with a piece of worm on it did the trick many times but trout really like those small wobbly flatfish/kik fish give em a try

For back lake rainbows I used to use the tiny flatfish in black silver "skunk" pattern we called it and they were only like 1.5-2.5 inches long the smallest ones I think I remember and the trout would go crazy over them .... They out fished almost everything and I swear made them strike as they wobble and entice them and same type scenario I would troll them and drift with them also the Panther Martin with a piece of worm on it did the trick many times but trout really like those small wobbly flatfish/kik fish give em a try

That's a great idea. I will definitely try that!