Ah the rapids? (fishing) and some aboriginal teachings?

manitoubass2

Had an hour to spare today and the weather seemed perfect for a topwater bite at my favorite shore spot, so off I went.

Only had and hour and the weather changed as I drove in so I was kinda hesitant.

But an hour is better then nothing?

Got there and it was dead calm and muggy as heck. It went from sunny to cloud cover right away as I lay my tobacco down in the water

20150916_143702_zpsxehzw6mo.jpg

The scenery was a beauty as always! Lotsa stugeon jumping as well as bass, so I knew I made the right call to go topwater!

20150916_142141_zpsnqemc4rp.jpg

The bass were smashing my bait! Only used that one lure the whole time?

20150916_142244_zpsqlykocnc.jpg

20150916_140439_zpscfsojr9r.jpg

After a few missed fish I slowed my walk the dog and left longer pauses. It payed off with 5 good bites. All shorter fish but starting the feedbag! And its only gonna get better! Even a 2lber fights like Mohahmed Ali in the rapids!

This fish smashed me 15ft from shore and boy did it have shoulders!

20150916_142329_zpsqdqnc96t.jpg

All in all it was a great hour but boy did it go buy fast!

Soon they will go from NFl footballs to CFL footballs???

Ill be there all day tomorrow?

Miigwich

Edited by manitoubass2

Tobacco is the most sacred of all medicines in aboriginal culture.

Its an offering to the creator to give thanks and appreciation as well as pray for the health of whatever it is you might be doing. In my case Im praying for the health of the river and its bounty.

If you ask an elder for teachings or advice you always offer them tobacco as well, as a way of appreciating their help/guidance.

Before you bang a pow wow drum you must feast it, offering food, tobacco and sage. Drum carriers must also be sober.

If you encounter a dead dear say(as per my husky thread) you lay down tobacco as a thanks, and a speedy journy to its next life.

Tobacco and sage, sweet grass and red cedar, very important to the natives. To us it is medicine, it is prayer, it is spiritual...

Edited by manitoubass2

Tobacco is the most sacred of all medicines in aboriginal culture.

Its an offering to the creator to give thanks and appreciation as well as pray for the health of whatever it is you might be doing. In my case Im praying for the health of the river and its bounty.

If you ask an elder for teachings or advice you always offer them tobacco as well, as a way of appreciating their help/guidance.

Before you bang a pow wow drum you must feast it, offering food, tobacco and sage. Drum carriers must also be sober.

If you encounter a dead dear say(as per my husky thread) you lay down tobacco as a thanks, and a speedy journy to its next life.

Tobacco and sage, sweet grass and red cedar, very important to the natives. To us it is medicine, it is prayer, it is spiritual...

Thanks, lesson learned. Always want to know different cultures.

On the lively side :) I don't smoke, what now?

Thanks M2..... So this is cured tobacco leaf? The stuff put into cigarettes? Or is it something else? Very interesting... Thanks for taking the time to answer..... Sorry I don't mean to derail this thread.... Pm me if you prefer! Some nice fish BTW

Edited by Gerritt

And your not derailing gerrit, my pleasure to help educate?

Many aboriginals to not follow"the straight path", much like other cultures.

So teaching feels good to me. Maybe help some board members understand why I do what I do??? Never know

But I get great pleasure knowing when people understand how far some go to be apart of and protect this earth.

Im not perfect. Ive strayed as well. But I do my best?

I'm going to be honest M2, I believe your posting has made me a better, more tolerant person.

Due to the Caledonia situation(s) here in the Hamilton area, not to mention the Hagersville thefts of trucks, I've had a HORRIBLE attitude towards natives.

Many times I've read your posts, whether they are related to your family (again, who are beautiful), your cooking, your dogs, your practices, and now your customs, as a result I've become a much more tolerant person.

Thank you for taking the time to share your culture, and even more so, thank you for being patient with the intolerance on this board (which I more than contributed my fair share towards).

My very best friend is half native (mom is 100%, dad is not), and he himself has separated himself from everything that is native....however, rather than do the same, you embrace and do your best to change (or at least, help us understand better).

You're a good person.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Cheers.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by Steve

I live 20 minutes from Tobacco country. There are still a few farms here. Shall I send you a few leaves if they are still in the fields? I don;t think so though as it should all be hanging in the sheds by now.

Steve spend some time out on the rez. have a meal or a coffee (tax free). It is 10% of the goofs out here causing 100% of the problem. Most of the militants don't even live here.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm going to be honest M2, I believe your posting has made me a better, more tolerant person.

Due to the Caledonia situation(s) here in the Hamilton area, not to mention the Hagersville thefts of trucks, I've had a HORRIBLE attitude towards natives.

Many times I've read your posts, whether they are related to your family (again, who are beautiful), your cooking, your dogs, your practices, and now your customs, as a result I've become a much more tolerant person.

Thank you for taking the time to share your culture, and even more so, thank you for being patient with the intolerance on this board (which I more than contributed my fair share towards).

My very best friend is half native (mom is 100%, dad is not), and he himself has separated himself from everything that is native....however, rather than do the same, you embrace and do your best to change (or at least, help us understand better).

You're a good person.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Cheers.

(edited for grammar)

Wow steve that actually made me tear up.

That means alot?

Old ironmaker, sure if ya can do so. Thats would be very nice and a great gesture.

And yes, the ricing. Ughhh this one bugs me, just like the nipissing overharvesting.

Im not gonna say much(but OI said it pretty well), if aboriginals would live on the straight path you'de almost never see these situations take place.

But its very complicated. Many of the generations we live with now are very damaged for numerous reasons( im not gonna get political here).

I wish they would get back on path for the sake of themselves, their families, nature, and relations with all north americans

I did pm you gerrit

No cured tobacco leaf is just not available for the most part.

Unfortunately its come to using processed tobacco.

Id grow some but id be in jail rather quick

It's more then legal to grow tobacco for personal use; but there is a weight limit of 200lbs (I think it's 200) of cured leaf tobacco in your possession at any one time.

I grew up on a tobacco farm and yes there are licenses and quota that a farmer is required too have, to grow it commercially.

So next year, head down South here to the Simcoe, Delhi area and buy a few hundred plates from a farmer; while the greenhouses still have the plants in. Mid April to early June would be about the right time to get mature seedlings ready for the field/garden.

When My dad was still growing; we'd always had people coming too us wanting to buy seedlings. They'd plant them in their gardens and flower beds. Believe it or not they're a very nice looking plant; when you;re not looking at them in a 50/100 acre field; with thousands of them a foot and a half apart from each other.

I'm also talking tobacco tobacco, not wacky. LOL

Dan.

Edited by DanD

It's more then legal to grow tobacco for personal use; but there is a weight limit of 200lbs (I think it's 200) of cured leaf tobacco in your possession at any one time.

I grew up on a tobacco farm and yes there are licenses and quota that a farmer is required too have, to grow it commercially.

So next year, head down South here to the Simcoe, Delhi area and buy a few hundred plates from a farmer; while the greenhouses still have the plants in. Mid April to early June would be about the right time to get mature seedlings ready for the field/garden.

When My dad was still growing; we'd always had people coming too us wanting to buy seedlings. They'd plant them in their gardens and flower beds. Believe it or not they're a very nice looking plant; when you;re not looking at them in a 50/100 acre field; with thousands of them a foot and a half apart from each other.

I'm also talking tobacco tobacco, not wacky. LOL

Dan.

Thats very cool! Learn something new everyday!

I guess I made the assumption based on pure nicotine, which is one of the most restricted compounds around.

Man if I could get some alot of people around here sure would be happy about it!!!

You could also start from seed if you wanted; you can get it super cheap on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spicy-Acres-500-Del-Gold-Delgold-Organic-Heirloom-NON-GMO-Tobacco-Seeds-Cigar/111766416848?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620091118%26meid%3D3d18c572284f4b35acb6e428ec360be2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151813186166

Put together a make shift greenhouse and you could likely google the growing process of how to get the plants started. They are a very fragile plant and the slightest ground frost or insect infestation will kill them easily.

Dan.