Georgian Bay Muskies

lpmaure

if a CO saw you pulling that fish around on a stringer and that is GB, you'd be charged with possession of an illegal fish as it's below the 54" size limit.

just FYI.

The CO wouldn't have a very large window to get me. And if they did question me I like to think they would understand what I was doing, but who knows.

Bruce Ward would never understand.... just the way our GBay CO is. And if you only have a conservation licence he'll charge you with possession just for taking the picture. Some stupidity never ends... but he does get paid to go to court.

I have my sportsman licence or whatever it's called. I would be pretty disappointed if i was charge, being someone that practices catch and release and tries hard not to have a negative impact on the resource. The fish was caught on Balsam lake, not sure if the same restrictions apply. Anyways we are getting of topic. I just wanted to share how i got lucky with a little cleo and happened to catch a reasonably sized muskie

The CO wouldn't have a very large window to get me. And if they did question me I like to think they would understand what I was doing, but who knows.

I didn't think it was a Gbay fish. I'm not sure what the min on the kawarthas is these days, used to be 36". Like Wayne said, the CO on southern georgian bay is a real stickler for the rules, especially when it comes to 'his' fish and I can almost guarantee you'd get a ticket out there with an option to take it to the judge. Who knows who you would get at Lake 'X', maybe they'd be understanding, maybe they wouldn't.

The high minimum limits are put in place exactly for the reason, nobody would keep at 54" fish. :)

Congrats, it's a nice fish and must have been a blast out of a canoe on light tackle.

First off, nice fish and well done from a canoe. Congratulations.

The fact that it probably towed you around a bit on the light tackle rather than you trying to horse it in on light tackle along with the fact that it had time to revive while heading in to the dock likely made it easier to release.

The size limit on Balsam and the rest of zone 17 is 44". Raised from 36" in 2010. A CO has every right to present you with a ticket, (at his discretion) for not immediately releasing an undersized fish. Just because you only hold it for one photo would not get you out of the ticket with some CO's.

I respect that he considers them his fish, and rigorously tries to protect them. I do think we need more people like that. I would just feel bitter as someone that tires to do right by the fishery compared to those I constantly see people blatantly hurt it. But, i do get that I would of been breaking the law and putting the fish to though extra stress. I really needed to have a photo lol

And thanks it was a blast. It never took line until the first time i put my hand on it's tail(Forgot to pack my muskie net in the canoe). It did tow me around a fair bit, and I had an audience of 10-15 people from two separate cottages cheering me on. There was an audible ohh.. when it slapped me in the head with it's tail and knocked my hat into the water,

I never measured it , but i think it would of been over 44?

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back on our 23-30 September fishing trip in Georgian Bay/Moon River. There were three of us fishing out of two boats, two of us focused on muskies, the third guy switching around between bass and muskies. Weather was gorgeous (warm and sunny w/ little wind) until the last day when it rained.

We fished Blackstone Harbor 1½ days and caught only small pike - I called it a "pike nest"- and no action at all around the sunken island. Moon River, both east and west of Woods Bay was also unproductive for muskies, but there was lots of bass and pike action.

All our musky action was out in Moon Bay, from the mouth of Captain Allan Strait out to the islands above Loon Island. The muskies we found were out in open water, not very shallow, and most of the time the bottom was flat. They seemed to be relating to small schools of small minnows and presumably were feeding on the other predators chasing the minnows. We threw topwater, cowgirls, crank baits and spinnerbaits of various sizes and colors. But the only productive musky lure for us was the Shallow Invader in bumblebee pattern (black & yellow).

Our catches included a 44 ½" musky (caught on day 2), 25+ bass (biggest was a 22" smallmouth), 40+ pike (biggest was 35"). We lost at least 3 muskies and had 9 follows, most of which were in the 40"+ size.

I'll try to post some pics...

P1050812.jpg

P1050800.jpg

P1050803.jpg

Edited by lpmaure

But the only productive musky lure for us was the Shallow Invader in bumblebee pattern (black & yellow).

Sounds like a fun trip and you managed to raise a few muskies which can be tough on GBay when your not really familiar with the area.

That Bumble Bee color is always productive no matter what bait it is and what water your fishing.