I had a boat stolen, rant/ vent included

chris.brock

That is efing bull filtered try again please! That's why I say it ALL the time. I HATE PEOPLE!

And here I thought cottage country was immune to low life's

Guess I'm wrong.

I hope you find your stuff and with the perpetrators on board. Just don't get yourself in too much trouble. I know how hard it would be to hold yourself back. But you gotta think about your family.

Sorry and good luck man!

Chris just a thought but is there not a private security company, that a cottagers association could chip into for patrols,,,,,I know xtra money,,,,,,,,or someone retired or could volunteer to do some rounds if people chipped in for a bit of gas...I will pm u

That's technology for you, Free trade, companies closing, self check outs and no jobs makes for more thieves.

We now have 2 bad people, the one that stole it and the one that buys it and sits in your boat fishing with your stuff, now that is a double piss off :wallbash: .

I know your feeling, had a brand new truck stole form me with only a 1000 miles on it and I felt like I got raped,even worse.

Edited by Fish Farmer

My former boss had a cottage in the Kawartha's. They would have multiple break ins every summer. The local OPP described the criminals as "Ma and Pa doing their shopping". They would steal food from their fridge/freezer and any appliance they felt they needed at home.

They installed a security system, think "Alarm Force" which only slightly reduced their break ins. It also required them to go to the cottage every time the alarm went off - 2 1/2 hour drive.

They eventually just sold the cottage as it was just too much stress to own.

The cops told them that they were lucky, because they had run into folks who's cottages were broken into and the thieves used circular saws to cut all the floor joists in the cottage! Yah, there are people like that out there.

Sorry for your loss Chris.

HH

It's a shame but you have to do things with the idea that someone will try to steal from you - I use campgrounds whenever I can because the people owning them keep an eye out as to who is hanging around - when I leave my boat at a dock or shore I always chain it to something - put a cover on it and make sure nothing of value can be seen - put a motion detector under the cover that will sound off if the cover is removed -

I don't fish remote lakes and leave a vehicle parked at such locations - if I did I would disable the truck so that it can't be started - easy enough to do - don't have anything of value in the truck - you could even leave the doors unlocked -

Finally - if I caught someone trying to steal something from me - we both would have to go to the hospital - to get my boot out of his butt - I would clobber the guy and claim that he attacked me and I have to defend myself -

Nope, not in my books, I'll butt heads every time on this topic. My lake is cool, everybody gets along, there's no complaints, we don't need cops suntanning and writing tickets to the good guys when there's dirt bags stealing our crap from behind our backs, pisses me right off.

Come to a lake on a complaint only basis. In their "free" time, catch some real crooks. My wife and I pay huge tax dollars, don't damn me, damn them. It's not the individual cops fault, it's the protocol, Pisses me right off,

I agree 100%.......but after reading your description of the vessel, they might have done you a favor.......but again not right.

Maybe fishnautographs can chime in here...

I had an incident where a drunk person broke into my house. He wouldnt leave and was being very creepy to my daughters.

I called opp and they said they would be there soon.

I asked if i can physically remove him as a threat and they said yes, baseball bat, gun, knock him out. Just dont kill him

I was kinda surprised...

So before the cops came he tried to lay on the couch with my then 11 year old daughter.

Ok thats it. I picked him up, carried him outside and dropped him near headfirst off my deck.

When opp arrived i told them and they arrested him and said good job.

Anyhow, outta curiousity, i asked if that applies to all "properties"

He said absolutely, if your property ie boat, truck, house are being threatened you have everyright to physically defend it

Maybe fishnautographs can chime in here...

I had an incident where a drunk person broke into my house. He wouldnt leave and was being very creepy to my daughters.

I called opp and they said they would be there soon.

I asked if i can physically remove him as a threat and they said yes, baseball bat, gun, knock him out. Just dont kill him

I was kinda surprised...

So before the cops came he tried to lay on the couch with my then 11 year old daughter.

Ok thats it. I picked him up, carried him outside and dropped him near headfirst off my deck.

When opp arrived i told them and they arrested him and said good job.

Anyhow, outta curiousity, i asked if that applies to all "properties"

He said absolutely, if your property ie boat, truck, house are being threatened you have everyright to physically defend it

You have the right to use force that is deemed reasonable to remove someone from your property as necessary. You have to ensure you tell the police you told him to leave. After he refuses the. You can throw him out. Hence the reason it's legal for bouncers to toss you hard out of bars.

Just remember this isn't Texas and you can shoot him. No warning shots either.

I totally agree ,when my neighbours garage and truck were broken into it took 24 hours for the cops to show up to write it up,yet in my 10 minute commute to work everyday I will pass 2-3 sitting waiting to catch the hardass criminal who is driving 10 km/hr over on their way to work

You also have to understand that a property crime not in progress is not a high priority. I know that for me sometimes we've been so busy it's impossible to get to certain calls. Those coppers catching speeders could have been a traffic unit and that's all they do.

In the case of small town services that have 5 cops on the road at one time and a domestic comes in then you have at least two officers off the road to deal with higher priority calls so it's hard to get to everyone that needs service

Edited by FishnNAutographs

K bud thats a little confusing

You can shoot or you cant?

I was told you can, but dont try to kill unless necessary. Shoot to injure if you feel you HAVE TOO.

If you can clarify that id appreciate it.

Opp told me straight up to shoot if i felt necessary.

Now after i bounced the person out and we chatted we talked about property. He said defense of your family and home is also applicapable to properies again, ie your truck, your boat etc

Of course im not advocating juat shooting people lol thats crazy

But am i right, if chris had been near his boat when it was stolen, he had the right to defend his property even if force was needed?

Yes he can defend his property

There's a fine line though. If your life isn't in danger don't shoot.

I personally wouldn't shoot someone in my house unless my life was truly in danger. I wouldn't shoot someone who was stealing my boat either, I'd kick his a$$ but I wouldn't shoot him.

Yes he can defend his property

There's a fine line though. If your life isn't in danger don't shoot.

I personally wouldn't shoot someone in my house unless my life was truly in danger. I wouldn't shoot someone who was stealing my boat either, I'd kick his ass but I wouldn't shoot him.

Gotcha. I hope thats common sense lol.

Thats why i didnt use lethal force or even grab a gun.

Just a painful physical removal

i'd like to think that i'd smash someone if i caught them ripping me off.. i'd never get to a firearm and ammo in time for it to be of use. realistically, i'm not getting stabbed or shot for anything that i own..

if i walked in on a home invasion and my wife and kids were in trouble, i'm getting stabbed/shot. well maybe not for the wife and the questionable kid, but for the one kid that i know is mine, i would.

a drunk loser in my living room, unarmed, would be fun though.

Its not fun at all.

When it happens its fight or flight, even if the person is drunk you dont know if they are armed or what they are capable of.

That being said, f with my family or property and im coming out swinging(fists, knives guns i dont care( well i do but i wont in that moment)

Edited by manitoubass2

J. Edgar Hoover said it his entire life " there is no such thing as the Mafia".

It is definitely a violation of someone when you are a victim of any crime. As far as defending your property? Criminals drunk, stoned or sober generally carry weapons, you want my "stuff" here are the keys. You want to harm my family? "Well officers I disarmed him and used his own handgun to kill him."

There is no such thing as shoot to injure, it's shoot to kill or don't point a weapon. I think this is the first thing a cop is taught when he is given a handgun.

Now if you want to join a group that have members that are highly trained to defend Canadians join The Canadian Legion.

Edited by Old Ironmaker