What is the most appropriate snap or swivel snap for Rapala Scatter Rap Crank

okumasheffield

I found the split ring on the nose of my newly purchased Scatter Rap Crank kept getting caught with the snap (pic below) from time to time over this past weekend.

It has been my go-to snap for years and I have never had issues with any lures and I wonder if it is associated with this particular lure or did I just have a bad day.

It got me re-think the following questions:

- Should I use snaps or swivel snaps for lures such as Rapalas?

- What is the most snag-free snaps?

- What is the snap to guarantee the most true lure action?

Thanks in advance

Snap.jpg

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

Some form/brand like this:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/13853/cabelas-premium-duolock-snaps-nickel

Lighter and stronger. Get the right size/strengths for the need and you're set.

100% agree

You don't need a snap with a swivel because cranks don't spin...

Keep it as light weight as you can

And FYI... Those are really strong... I've landed big musky trolling for walleye using those little snaps...

I tie directly to the lure - no snap, no swivel. If you use snaps & other hardware you may compromise the action of the lure as it was intended by the manufacturer. To enable quick easy lure changes I tie a 6' fluoro leader to each crank bait with a swivel at the end of the leader. On my mainline I tie a snap swivel. For storage I coil up the 6' leader into a small coil, place a small bread tie on to the small coil to hold it in place. Then into the tackle tray. Works for me. Some of my worm harnesses I coil around a short piece of pool noodle. I coil 7 or 8 harnesses onto a 12" piece of noodle, then into a plastic Tupperware container.

I used to tie my line directly to lures until someone I saw my X-rap flew across the sky ...

As it turned out, my thin PowerPro somehow found its way in the split ring and worked its way to the end of it.

I am bit concerned about the recommended type since it still has a piece sticking out which may get caught on.

I will give it a shot and see!

Thanks!

I also used this style of snap, those in size 1 though probably aren't strong enough for some fish, I stuck something night fishing on a lake in New York one night and ended up with a twisted piece of wire to show for it. That lake did have pike and skis in it, and whatever I stuck was no bass! LOL

I never had a problem using size 2-3, but I avoided size 1 after that. The style in your picture? I also had issues with, I had fish pull the wire loose from the catch and bend it straight. Even had an issue or two with Berkley cross lock snaps on wire leaders, bent.

Outsized fish generally weren't a problem here, unless they were carp.LOL In an area where they are common? Might go with these?

http://stringease.com/products.php?cat=snaps&id=staylok_snaps

I use the Berkley Cross Lock Snaps as shown below.....I have them with and without swivels.....no swivel is required when fishing crank baits or other baits that do not spin. Size #1 for almost everything but salmon fishing is more then enough. For salmon I use size #3

The Berkley Cross Lock Snaps are the strongest available..........see here...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berkley-Cross-Lok-Snaps/738362.uts?productVariantId=1233251&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=44-72921650-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=10004352&rid=20

Split ring off and a cross lock snap !!! The best way or just tie direct without the ring !!!! Using a rapala knot !!! Bulletproof

Rapala knot is one of the weaker knots out there.....but you're right, no need for a split ring if you use a cross lock snap

Rapala knot is one of the weaker knots out there.....but you're right, no need for a split ring if you use a cross lock snap

Im confussed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tie direct with a palomar knot. Weather it,s a spinner bait or tube jig or crank. It,s my go to since shown years back.

I tie direct with a palomar knot. Weather it,s a spinner bait or tube jig or crank. It,s my go to since shown years back.

A knot can sometimes interfere with the action on a crank bait or spoon. If the crank bait has a split ring then tieing direct will not be a problem. The larger the crank bait, the less that a know will interfere with the action.

A Palomar knot is a clinch type knot where a Rapala knot is a loop knot that permits the lure to swing freely even though it's tied to the line. A Rapala knot has a loop just like a snap but as I mentioned before it's not one of the strongest knots out there. I do like to use it when fishing very light jigs for early season crappie fishing.

You might want to try tying directly to the split ring, but going through the split ring twice. This makes a slightly bulkier knot that has more gripping area and is less likely to slip into the split ring, plus it adds to the knot's strength. I also do this with "R" bend spinnerbaits and find it doesn't slip with my braid.

Tying direct to the split ring is probably the best way to attach jerk or crank baits. I trust a knot that I tied an hour ago a lot more than one I tied 2 hours ago. I use a Palomar knot with 10 pound power pro. Tie it on the doubled portion of the ring. Pull tight then slide it into the gap portion. Pull even tighter and trim off the tag. Every few casts I check that it's in the gap. Every time I catch a fish or pull out of a snag I check the knot. Every time I change lures I tie a new knot...