Info needed on portable indoor air conditioners PLEASE

mr blizzard

Last years fires here were the worst ever, air qualities were as high as 16, stained vehicles etc, the haze was inside the stores etc, this was not weeks but months, even after a shower u still smelled like smoke, stomach cramps etc,

Moosebunk captured some of it when he was here last year.

WELL its back big time, ash on vehicles etc, Hay River 3 1/2 ish hours south is on standby evac notice as wekk the Saskatchewan , ALta and parts of BC are sufferring

I changed out my windows in the fall and are old airconditioner wont fit

QUESTION I have heard of portable indoor air conditioners that sit on the floor

CAN someone please tell me if they are anygood and how they operate re the water thats condensed etc

It did help to keep the house more bearable last year

thx

John

If you're going to buy one, then get the one with 2 hoses, one for in and one for blowing out hot air. I had the single hose model and because our house is so air tight, it started to suck outdoor air in through the B chimney for the water heater. Not good! Secondly it really didn't come close to the output that a same size window shaker does.

They have a drainable line or you must drain into a reservoir from what I've seen (no personal use) but I would assume them similar in setup to a dehumidifier that has a hose you can attach to the rear of the unit and it will automatically drain into wherever you place it

I had one when i lived in an apartment for 2 years, they are big and take up a lot of floor space, need to make sure the hose intake and out flow fit tightly in the window.

there is a drain bucket on the back that holds about 3-5 gallons of water that needs to be emptied once or twice a day, depending on how humid it is. there is an option on some to hook up a drain hose, but then you you need to run that out the window, or into a bucket

Had a Whirlpool dual hose unit and it worked great, little noisy in the house, but put it in another room and used a floor fan to move the air around. It never needed to be drained in the 2 houses it was used in. Not sure how that worked but never had a drain hose on it and the tank never filled. It was also a heater and de humidifier when you didn't need the AC

Edited by Bondar

they arent as good as window units and it still needs to be near a window. you'll get more bang for your buck with a window unit.

the one we had was a dual hose one for in and one for out. you popped that piece into a window and sealed any gaps.

i don't remember having to drain the water, maybe the condensation just went out the 'out' hose? or my memory isn't good and we did drain.

Edited by Raf

I first saw these in England 12 years ago. We finally picked up a " Garrison" 5 years ago on sale for a few hundred bucks at CTC. It cools about 600 square feet in an area of southern exposure with a wall of windows. Don't ask me how but the condensate line comes with a plug in it and when I called Garrisons tech line to ask why there is no mention of running the line to the exterior they said leave it plugged and attached to the unit by a clip and do not run the line outside. Like I said I have no idea where the condensate goes but it has been 5 summers and it works just great. We don't have ductwork and I was going to use it temporarily until I installed one of those wall units but I don't need to spend a few grand because this works just great. Not the quietest but I would rather be comfy and turn up the volume on the stereo and TV. Set a temp and auto and good to go. It vents out the window and comes with a adjustable piece of plastic to fit any window size. It wouldn't work on a casement window. My only complaint if any is that I have to seal the plastic insert and vent to keep the rain and bugs out, that's the only complaint. The flex hose stretches about 5 feet max. so you will need the window near where the unit will be. When not in use just collapse the accordion hose and wheel the unit against the wall.

Quieter than any window unit I have or had. I guess it all depends on the unit.

I just looked at the thing and there is not a reservoir on the unit like a dehumidifier. The condensate must be forced out the discharge hose. That air coming out is not warm it is hot.

It doesn't look like it is going to be used much if this weather keeps up down here, heck it might hit 70F this weekend.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

They have a drainable line or you must drain into a reservoir from what I've seen (no personal use) but I would assume them similar in setup to a dehumidifier that has a hose you can attach to the rear of the unit and it will automatically drain into wherever you place it

thx Lucas for the advice

I had one when i lived in an apartment for 2 years, they are big and take up a lot of floor space, need to make sure the hose intake and out flow fit tightly in the window.

there is a drain bucket on the back that holds about 3-5 gallons of water that needs to be emptied once or twice a day, depending on how humid it is. there is an option on some to hook up a drain hose, but then you you need to run that out the window, or into a bucket

thx Floatnfly thats the idea we r after

Had a Whirlpool dual hose unit and it worked great, little noisy in the house, but put it in another room and used a floor fan to move the air around. It never needed to be drained in the 2 houses it was used in. Not sure how that worked but never had a drain hose on it and the tank never filled. It was also a heater and de humidifier when you didn't need the AC

thx Bondar clean air would be good right now getting more smokey as the day goes on

they arent as good as window units and it still needs to be near a window. you'll get more bang for your buck with a window unit.

the one we had was a dual hose one for in and one for out. you popped that piece into a window and sealed any gaps.

i don't remember having to drain the water, maybe the condensation just went out the 'out' hose? or my memory isn't good and we did drain.

Raf I just phoned ctc they have a garrison on sale thx

Thx Old Ironmaker

just checked with ctc they have a garrison on sale might just do the job definitely helps to clear the air, some people are already wearing paper masks again to try to filter the air, we need as other area LOTS of rain, soryy any spider lovers but i am going outside to stomp on one lol

Thinking about it with that plastic window "filler" it would be very easy to break in. But as they say if they want to get in they will any way they can. I definitely recommend Garrison and am sorry to hear about the fires and air quality. I watch CBC news regularly and haven't seen any of this on the tube. The last thing one would think is bad is the air quality up there in God's country, Hamilton and Toronto but not the NWT.

We have 2 of the 14000 BTU units made by Haier, they were both bought at Future Shop, one is 5 years old the other 3. They do a good job on our 900 sq.ft, bungalow with no central heating and have never given us a problem.

edit: this is the ones we have

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/haier-haier-14-000-btu-portable-air-conditioner-hpf14xcm-b-black-silver-hpf14xcm-b/10234635.aspx?path=4b4cbe19a0b257afb0e836b94cfc4c2cen02

Edited by dave524

We have 2 of the 14000 BTU units made by Haier, they were both bought at Future Shop, one is 5 years old the other 3. They do a good job on our 900 sq.ft, bungalow with no central heating and have never given us a problem.

edit: this is the ones we have

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/haier-haier-14-000-btu-portable-air-conditioner-hpf14xcm-b-black-silver-hpf14xcm-b/10234635.aspx?path=4b4cbe19a0b257afb0e836b94cfc4c2cen02

Thx dave524

We will look into this one your speaking of, I looked at the one at CTC that is on sale but it is a dehumidifier as well, we sure dont need that feature up here, we have someone who may be going down south for a bit, maybe they could bring it back for us

THX

John

the other problem with these units, theres a lot of heat produced from the compressor, make sure the output hose is above the intake, or you will be sucking in the hot compressor air, the output hose gets quite warm as well

Thanks Floatnfly

Not having had one before thats a mistake that could be easily made, thank you for your advice

John

I have a 2 hose Danby and it works well and no hose is required, most of these have a dehumidify mode which is the setting I use most.

They are a little on the noisy side the big thing with these is they are easy to install and set up and you can still open the window on nice days.

I have a 2 hose Danby and it works well and no hose is required, most of these have a dehumidify mode which is the setting I use most.

They are a little on the noisy side the big thing with these is they are easy to install and set up and you can still open the window on nice days.

lookinforwalleye

you mention u have a 2 hose Danby and no hose is required, could u help me understand how that works do u not need a hose out the window

Thx

John

We have a Danby unit as well and it cooled a about 700 square feet really well. The reason it doesn't have a condensate bucket to drain is because it drains the condensate back over the internal cooling fins and it gets used up that way. It also only has a single air exhaust hose. I believe if used I'm the dehumidifier mode you would have to hook up the drainage hose. I much preferred it to a window unit, especially since you could open the window whenever you wanted to.