fishing rod holder help

mr blizzard

Had to get away from the cooking thread, thx to Ricl lol

Finally got the newer used trailer modified to accomadate our old Glastron, thanks in part to Drifters help

Latest start to our fishing season ever but going to try tommorow

QUESTION

Saw a really cool rod holder on a boat in town,,,I have the one where u rotate the collar on the end to get the rod out and have saw the ones with the rubber bands.....BUT this one folded into itself like a clamshell sort of idea

The guy showed it to me,,,with the rod in and closed when trolling and u have a hit u simply grab the rod in front and behind of the rod holder and lift up,,,holder pops open and instant hook set all in one upward pull,,,the guy said he purchased three years ago in Toronto ,,,he fished alot on Lake Ontario

I tried the ctc site but striking out so far, I do not know where he lives so I cant double check with him

Help appreciated

John

Those Orca's are really cool too and operate somewhat like the Salty's....

I want to get two for my toon. Not only for just rod holders, but when I want to drag a harnness and dont want to hold on to the rod. I know they are over kill, but what the hell. :)

They are Salty down east holders I believe and they are bulletproof:

http://www.down-east.com/website_006.htm

Not exactly sure who sells them but they are available locally somewhere I'm sure (well maybe not in Yellowknife but somewhere....)

I have 1 of those and I like it too. clamps to my canoe gunwale or a boat---very portable .not sure where I got it many years ago.

Canadian Tire sells them but you might have to order them in....51 bucks. When you said you saw them 3 years ago it threw me a bit since I thought the Orca's were newer than that.....I guess I was wrong (again today)....they came out in 2012.

Edited by G.mech

I have never used the salties & am somewhere between a newbie & veteran fishing Salmon on LO. Have hooked and landed all my biggest fish on Orcas holding wire dipsey combos off both sides of the boat & lead core down the chute. If drags are set proper, you will never have an issue with the Orcas.