10 X 50 binoculars

lew

I'm thinking of buying new binoculars just for general viewing around here and in the boat & am interested in this one and would like your opinions.

It's 10 X 50 but I've read a few things saying with a 10 power I may find excessive movement thru the lens and may need a tri-pod to make the image appear more stable. If that's the case I'll look at something different.

Problem around the Peterboro area is there doesn't appear to be many stores selling decent glasses. These are available at CTC and have a lifetime warranty.

I'm heading north next Saturday and want to get them before I leave so that rules out ordering them on line.

Any thoughts boys ??

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwjE38-_4ozGAhWKTJIKHR7FCqs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.celestron.com%2Fbrowse-shop%2Fsport-optics%2Fbinoculars%2Fcavalry-10x50-binocular&ei=Py98VYTEI4qZyQSeiqvYCg&usg=AFQjCNFl4F0iSeEmHzkAlecet7DhuqJFRg

10 power binocs can be a bit fiddly. I am a hunter, and use an 8 power as a general rule, I find 10's hard to focus quickly in the bush and you lose some field of view. I think 10's could be a bit difficult to focus with in boat that is bobbing around. I use 8 power steiners and have been very happy with them.

Edited by porkpie

They'd probably be ok Lew, but personally I would go a bit smaller. I have a pair of 8x42 (Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's from SAIL) that I really like and won't be near as heavy as those 50's. As with all optics, you get what you pay for. If you don't plan on using them too often I understand not wanting to spend a small fortune, but It definitely is more enjoyable with quality glass...brighter, clearer images and less eye strain for sure.

Thanks for the replies guys, seems like you're all in agreement with what I've read about the 10's.

SAIL have these glasses on for half price so maybe I should take a drive down there an have a look.

I currently have an old Bushnell Trophy but it's taken a beating over the years and it's time for a replacement and I want bigger glasses anyways.

http://www.sail.ca/en/orientation/binoculars-optics/regular/simmons-prosport-8x42-182887

Higher magnification means that any shaking is also magnified, but 10x50 binos are usually okay. Another thing to keep in mind is the diameter of the image at the eyepiece. To get that, divide the magnification, in this case 10x, into the diameter of the objective lens, in this case 50mm. That gives you a figure of 5mm, which is good. 4mm is also okay, but 3mm or less means that even the slightest movement of your face and you are seeing black, and it's hard to keep the image centred on your eyeball. With 7x50 you get 7mm, which is great.

I have a pair of 10 x 50s. I don't have trouble with shaking. They are big and heavy. Smaller ones would be better if you want to carry them anywhere.

A tripod may not help too much in a boat. If the boat is rocking then the tripod and binoculars or camera rocks along with it. You might get away with it if you are very still in dead calm water.

Edited by JohnBacon

8x42 Lew. Spend the extra money on them. Makes a huge difference. I have a pair of the Bushnell marine 7x50 withe the compass. Great glasses for the money I paid. Binoculors are one if those things that you really do get what you paid for. An extrs few bucks now will not be spent stupidly.

And try them out like anything else some will fit you right others not so good

Absolutely, and that's the reason I'll drive 100 miles to a store for a 1st hand look rather than order something from the internet and find it's not what I'm after.

10x50s offer very few advantages compared to the disadvantages. The 2 main issues with 10 power binos are the much smaller field of view, and the very shallow depth of field at close range. Unless you need very good detail at a considerable distance, 10 powers just don't offer much of an advantage over 8s.

I use 8x35 waterproofs for canoeing but also have 10x50's at the cabin for watching wildlife etc..

I'd go 8x42 and higher next time for lower light. if you can, look at image stabilised binos as well. more spendy but would be good for spying muskies ;) and I'd get German glass if I could afford it.

Edited by woodenboater

I took the drive down to Oshawa this morning...(140 mile round trip)...and had a long talk with the sales guy in the binocular section. I told him I was looking to spend somewhere in the $150 range and wanted 8 X 42 and he showed me 3 different glasses. I asked which would be his choice if buying them for himself and he suggested the Simmons ProSport 8 X 42 and said even without being on sale for half price it was still the best choice.

For what I'll be using them for I didn't need anything high end and figure these will work fine for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

http://www.sail.ca/en/orientation/binoculars-optics/regular/simmons-prosport-8x42-182887