Advise from the Musky Experts?

KraTToR

Its well known that there are several very successful Musky fisherman on this forum, can you please help out a newbie!!

What's your style for reeling in the fish once it's on? crank it in hard so It cant put up a fight or play it so it doesn't go nuts boat-side? I have all the right gear but i'm wondering if the fish is ripping the bait out of its mouth because the rods are so stiff and the lack of stretch in the braid..

I lost a fish of a lifetime yesterday and 2 others when they were 1/2 way to the boat

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

I really need to start increasing my landing success...

Thanks in Advance.

super sharp hooks are key #1. sharpen anything out of the box and retouch anything if it feels in the least bit dull.

i lock my drag down for the hookset but will back it off a bit once the fish is on. if the fish wants to run I let it and control it with my thumb if needed. they don't make long runs but they are strong so i think a little 'give' is good especially as you get closer to the boat.

going 0/3 leads me to believe key #1 was the culprit not your drag setting.

Edited by Raf

It's not always so black and white

My gear is heavy duty and drags pretty much locked... But the 49" fish I hooked boatside Saturday only got one of the points on the back treble of my bucktail...

Once I realized this I had to free spool and attempt to get another hook into her...

I wasn't successful getting a second hook in so I had to take it easy and make wide smooth motions with my rod to get her into the net...

I'm sure most musky guys have LOADS of stories about failures... The good musky guys learn from the failures and grow from them...

But losing fish that far out in your retrieve I'd say sharpen your hooks...

I'm gonna agree with Raf and let the fish have room to run a bit if required, specially for bigger fish.

If you keep everything locked up solid something gonna let go and it could very well be the hooks ripping free from her mouth.

Pretty helpless feeling when everything goes slack and that big girl is waving "bye bye"

As was previously said, sharpen hooks: all the way to the barb. In order to get a good hook set the hook must enter past the barb.

They probably got off because the hooks were not set properly, so if your hooks sharp, make sure you set the hook, sometimes multiple times, especially if you are using rubber. After a while you should be able to get a feeling of whether you made a good hook set or not.

Set the hook hard, and I mean as hard as you can. A musky's mouth is all teeth and bone. I have seen people literally jump off the ground, and run to the back of the boat on a hook set. When I am fishing with someone I can generally tell if they set the hook or not.

Once you have a good hook set you should be able to horse them in, which is a my preferred method. Get them in the bag as quickly as possible. It is much better for the fish. The net acts as a livewell.

I hate it when people say you have to play the fish. I have heard people say that they don't want the fish thrashing in the net, but that is why you have bolt cutters and other release tools. Cut the split rings, cut the tips off of hooks. With this done it becomes easy to unwrap the fish and allow it to revive in the net. I would recommend a pair of Lindy fish handling gloves, they literally allow you to lip a musky without getting cut, ask Fisherpete. Get in there with the gloves and cut away until the fish is loose.

Sounds right here as well. I've lost a fish or two due to not having a good hook set. Either that was my own fault on the hook-set or the hooks were not sharp enough for proper penetration. I keep my drag tight, but ust loose enough should the fish want to take a run. Always try to keep the line tight and not give any slack line. Some good reminders as I prepare for my opener this week-end up north.

IMHO keep the fish on the line and as long as you do that, you will land it! Sounds simple but it isn't always! You have to keep the line tight enough that the fish can't spit the hook out but loose enough that you don't rip it out.

Remember that a fish with your hook in it's mouth is your fish until you do something to remove the hook! Light but steady pressure, no slack line, keep the rod tip high and be ready to drop it quickly.

BTW, I am no expert! X usually = an unknown and a spurt is just a drip under pressure!

To the OP (sorry forgot your name, my bad) What rod, reel and line are you using?

Sharp hooks are indeed a key - but so is the right setup to drive them home - just curious what equipment you are using. Especially if throwing big baits with hooks that are 7/0 or bigger.

Pete

To the OP (sorry forgot your name, my bad) What rod, reel and line are you using?

Sharp hooks are indeed a key - but so is the right setup to drive them home - just curious what equipment you are using. Especially if throwing big baits with hooks that are 7/0 or bigger.

Pete

Hiya Pete, its Patrick and I think we planned on hitting LSC together once this year..lol

Anyways, these are my muskie setups.

1 - SC Mojo Musky 8' MH w/Revo Toro Winch and 65lb braid -> this is the rig I lost the big one on. Floro leader and a brand new Super Shad Rap.

2 - Fenwick Elite Tech Muskie Glass trolling w/Diawa Millionair II level wind -> this is my trolling rig w/36" floro leader and 80lb PP. This is the rig that lost 2 others on a Medium sized Jake in Perch.

3 - SC Legend Tourney "The Jerk" 7.5' XH w/Abu NaCL 60 HS. 80 lb PP with Musky Husky JB leader.

4 - Shimano Terez Waxwing SW rod. XF 8' heavy action w/Calcutta D 400 with 80lb PP.

Thanks to everyone.. After reading the feedback and talking to my fishing buddy, I've concluded that with the no stretch line and pool cue rods we were just too aggressive.

I've done a ton of drift fishing using 6lb mono on a 13' pole, landing 35lb salmon.. Lots of line stretch and lots of give to the rod.

I have to start relying a lot more on my drag of course, learning!

Being only 2.5 hours away from Belle River, I'll be giving it another go in a few weeks.. with sharpened hooks and a whole new plan.

Cheers!

Edited by KraTToR

Any better musky anglers than myself, whom have shared time on the water, if trolling, are "two-hand drag" guys. They're also hook-sharpening freaks. The reason is because that's what works best most, but, nothing you do will be 100%, all of it needs to be considered and adaptable to any and all variables, and end of the day what will put more fish in the boat IMO is experience, confidence and knowledge.

You lost some fish this time, you'll only learn from that and do better next time.

I have to start relying a lot more on my drag of course, learning!

As outlaw said above, reels have drags for a reason.

It's all part of the learning process and time on the water is your best teacher.

Sorry about that Patrick, I absolutely remember meeting you that day but a I have met up with so many OFC members over the past few months that my brain fails from time to time! Nothing wrong with those setups, a super shad rap on that MH rod is fine as far as hooksetting goes. I prefer a minimum of 80lb test myself. Like others have said, we all lose muskies - it's just a part of the game. On my LOTW trip last year on day 2, I hooked and lost two 50+ fish in 15 minutes and was heartbroken. The next morning at our first spot I nailed a 48.5" and at the second spot a 51". Don't read too much into lost fish - and the fact that you are contacting fish is half the battle! Keep those hooks sharp, and remember that hooksets (and second hooksets) are free :)

Cheers

Pete

and the fact that you are contacting fish is half the battle!

Very very true...

Your getting them to strike which is more then some other anglers can say...

Im sure the rest will sort itself out because you sound like you'll rack your brain until you figure it out...

I used to lose fish and choke on follows ALL THE TIME... But year after year I got better and now my opportunity to success ratio has improved a lot...

Another thing I do is use 50lb mono for trolling... I literally cannot remember ever losing a fish on that rod... And I troll a lot... I run braid and mono and I lose some fish on the braid rod but the mono rod keeps em hooked up better... It also helps keep your baits up higher... Gives you some options to play with...