The Bear

esoxansteel

Andy Donato's comic in the SUN, said it best today regarding the shot Bear

It said Thanks for calling the MNR, if you are having a problem with a nuisance animal are hours of operation are 9am till 5pm, after hours please call the police and they will come out and shoot it. So sad but true.

Same thing happened in Peterborough a few back where the MNR office is, and the cops still had to come out and shoot the harmless Bear, which was 5 minutes away from the office,

Also happened with a Turkey at the junction of the Hwy 115 and Hwy 28, again the OPP's shot the turkey as it was on the side of the road getting gravel, and they thought the Turkey would be a distraction for drivers.

Im sure it happens all over

they shot the turkey? You're kidding, right?

From what I heard about the Newmarket bear, it sounded like they were trying to scare it out of the tree, and when it did come down they shot it anyway? What was the thought process? (rhetorical question - there was none)

I think they need to make the entrance exam for the police force a little tougher. I had a friend growing up have their dog shot by a police officer because it was "on the loose" even though it was still on private property. It's stories like this that make you wonder how they would react in a real emergency...

Always lousy when they kill the bears when it's not necessary but I spose sometimes they don't have much choice unfortunately.

The said they killed the Newmarket bear because kids were on the street going to school but from what I understand the police were there at 6:00 AM when they called MNR. Seems to me they could have been driving around the neighborhood getting peoples attention with the siren and then broadcasting to stay indoors.

And I believe that bear was in the area for a couple days so it would seem the MNR would be aware of what was going on and could have been ready to head there faster rather than taking a couple hours.

I dunno know, maybe I'm wrong.

And Steve, that story about them killing the turkey is nothing short of insane.

Edited by lew

MNR was called 48 hours before the bear was shot and they wouldn't come out. Yrp called animal control, u of Guelph, Toronto zoo and several other services with no help. The bear was up a tree not far from a school and everyone and their kids ran out of the house to watch the bear.

MNR was called again, and they took 2 hrs to respond

Scared and confused bears can turn violent pretty quickly. Had the bear turned on a child in the area then police would have had to answer why the bear wasn't put down. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Always easy to armchair quarterback net minder especially after the MNR a was called several times and they never showed up. Actually they showed up ten minutes after the shooting. The blame should be placed on the MNR. They never show up when they are needed. I have called for them numerous times in 8 yrs and they've showdd up once

Edited by FishnNAutographs

The blame should be placed on the MNR. They never show up when they are needed. I have called for them numerous times in 8 yrs and they've showdd up once

Can't blame the MNR as they were handcuffed when the Lieberals took away their funding.

Now they are down to one CO posted in Moosonee and need to have bottle drives to afford gas for the '71 Pinto he drives!!!!

This event was poorly handled from the start.

BUT,

Don't blame the cops!

We need to hound our MPPs as to why the MNRF is unable to respond to these events, in due course.

It's all about the money.

Especially since these events will be happening with more frequency, because of the cut off of the spring bear hunt.

I was a hunter years ago. I would not shoot bears because my family would not eat them, and I didn't want a rug in front of the fireplace. I have no qualms about those who do, or did.

The Province, and the economy lost a lot of dollars when the hunt was cancelled. The same groups that objected to the hunt, now object to the result of the handling of the bear problem. Their objection didn't help in the first place, and is no help now. Are they out there helping to raise funds for the MNRF to provide services to areas with over population of bears? In a word....NO!

Don't blame the police. They were put in a position that is truly outside of their normal mandate, by the politicians who were pretty scarce when the event unfolded. Typically.

Thats my 2 cents worth, for today.

The Liberal govt is turning the whole province into a joke. All they want to do is pass laws restricting our freedom and expanding their unaccountability.

How does the Hydro one CEO still have his job

How come our insurance coverage is limited by law just because Kathleen promised to get insurance rates down

At least the cops will take care of a bear before a kid gets mauled

Now, when are the OPP going to arrest Kathleen for election fraud

I just don't get it,no one has a phone?,no conversation, I don't believe for a minute that there was some kind of a timeline from the MNR.Short of staff I get it.No one as of this morning has come out and said why they could not wait longer and mnr for there lack of no show.Just sayin .

The MNR doesn't want to be involved anymore...its a bear, let the police deal with it.

We have them all over town, nobody bothers anymore.

They did trap one a couple weeks ago because it was right downtown and would never find its way out.

If there is no trap, shoot it..just make sure you use a 30-06 so you stop it right now instead of a 38 special and chase it around

Edited by Dara

I just don't get it,no one has a phone?,no conversation, I don't believe for a minute that there was some kind of a timeline from the MNR.Short of staff I get it.No one as of this morning has come out and said why they could not wait longer and mnr for there lack of no show.Just sayin .

According to the dispatchers they were calling non stop and getting "we are on the way" but no ETA was given

According to the dispatchers they were calling non stop and getting "we are on the way" but no ETA was given

Maybe,funny how they showed up 10 mins later.I just think this was a easy way out.Loads of cops,Bear was going no where.Agree if it headed towards kids or someone ,ok.Sad anyway..

Yep, rally is because of the bear shooting. I also read a release about this that said the MNRF and other non essential services are facing a further 5.5% budget reduction- who the heck gets to decide that MNRF and our natural resources are non essential?