The Bear

esoxansteel

I fully agree with the action of the police in this situation.

Sure, there is a good chance the MNR could have sedated the animal and brought it somewhere else (likely to get shot, just not in front of a bunch of city slickers).

But, if something bad was to happen, with all that media around, the cops would have been trounced. And I don't think that would have been fair.

They handled it well. It sucks the bear was shot - certainly, it does. However, the cops handled this situation safely.

they shot the turkey? You're kidding, right?

From what I heard about the Newmarket bear, it sounded like they were trying to scare it out of the tree, and when it did come down they shot it anyway? What was the thought process? (rhetorical question - there was none)

I think they need to make the entrance exam for the police force a little tougher. I had a friend growing up have their dog shot by a police officer because it was "on the loose" even though it was still on private property. It's stories like this that make you wonder how they would react in a real emergency...

Your funny man it's comments like this that make wonder how people like you can even get up in the morning and brush your teeth with out any trouble. Clueless man clueless

People keep mentioning a tranquilizer gun and the MNR, never really known a CO to have used one or even access to one. Maybe a research team funded by a University , but in the field , it's either a live trap or a gun depending on the immediacy of the situation. People been watching too many Animal Planet and Disney Documentaries. Might be bit of bad feeling within the MNR too, the cancellation of the spring bear was strictly a political move to appease certain groups never was based on science. The Ministry didn't create the problems we've had since the cancellation of the hunt with bears and they are darned if they are going to help, you made your bed you lie in it attitude.

from 2009 in Aurora

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/06/03/wandering_bear_in_aurora_tranquilized.html

No matter how much you disagree, personal insults like that are totally uncalled for!!

Thanks...

There was a lot to the story I didn't know about at the time, such as the proximity to the school, etc. But upon further investigation the end result was probably the only option. I was just going by what I heard on terrestrial radio at the time (102.1 FM and 590 AM - so yeah, two very reputable sources on the info). From what I heard, everyone mishandled the situation. Also, I wasn't there, and I doubt anyone else posting to this thread were there either. If this had happened where I grew up it wouldn't have even been a story, and probably nothing would have even come out of it, and the bear would have disappeared into the hinterlands.

I'm also pretty sure this really doesn't affect anyone, so taking the fact that people are upset about it personally is only going to hurt your own cause.

Thanks...

There was a lot to the story I didn't know about at the time, such as the proximity to the school, etc. But upon further investigation the end result was probably the only option. I was just going by what I heard on terrestrial radio at the time (102.1 FM and 590 AM - so yeah, two very reputable sources on the info). From what I heard, everyone mishandled the situation. Also, I wasn't there, and I doubt anyone else posting to this thread were there either. If this had happened where I grew up it wouldn't have even been a story, and probably nothing would have even come out of it, and the bear would have disappeared into the hinterlands.

I'm also pretty sure this really doesn't affect anyone, so taking the fact that people are upset about it personally is only going to hurt your own cause.

I was there and your origonal post was insulting and uncalled for. Ignorance at its best.

It seems to me that the police didn't have much choice given that (1) they are not equipped with tranq guns and transport vehicles(nor would you want them to be because that's MNR's role) and (2) MNR took forever to get there(arrived just in time be too late).

Thought I'd get my 2 cents in before the thread gets locked.

Going down fast! Bears will live and humans will argue. Aboriginals have hunted animals for centurie for food and shelter it was a way of life and stll is.

As I said if that bear had harmed a human, case was closed somewhat.