Spring Fishing Report - Some Nice Fish

mattyk

The kids and I have been out fishing a few times this spring and we have done pretty well. My son and I went Shad fishing on the Susquehanna River about 3 weeks ago and we caught over 24 fish (both american and hickory shad.) I let my son reel in every fish and he had so much fun. We were literally catching fish every cast for about 15 casts and it was amazing. We were just using a 1.5" white twistertail. My son was so very excited with every fish! We are also very fortunate to live 5 minutes away from a state park with a some decent bass and bluegill fishing. We have caught several nice largemouth in the past two weeks. My daughter caught two big fish and were caught on back to back casts. I hear her scream that she has a big fish. I go over to help her and we land the fish, take a quick pic and let it go. THen I go help my son with a bluegill. I hear my daughter scream again that she has another big fish, so I run over and its an even bigger bass. We land it and take a quick pic and let it go. She landed both big fish on a 5 foot ultralight ugly stick rod with 6lb line and a small piece of a worm. It is a catch and release pond and there are is no closed season here for bass.

med_gallery_396_700_526533.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_403037.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_418981.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_1772455.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_119513.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_518754.jpg

Big bass 1

med_gallery_396_700_1347570.jpg

Big bass # 2, caught on the very next cast. All on night crawlers.

med_gallery_396_700_1635937.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_488198.jpg

Edited by Mattk

Nice! The kids look like they're having a blast. It's nice to see the kids so willing to hold the fish at that age. I was surprised when my 3 year old caught her first rock bass and was willing to hold it up for her first picture. One of my faves.

Those are some nice pigs right there too! (The bass, LOL)

I said I wasn't going to post anymore tonight butI can 't help post on this thread. Those Largies are bigger than she is. Man she nabbed those on an Ultra Light, she is one great angler in the making. That is a great feat for the most seasoned angler. Give those 2 a hug from us all.

Are you anywhere near Ardmore PA? My sis and brother in law just moved to S.E. Pa. and I have folks in Ardmore. Nice area south eastern Pennsylvania. Philly fans are nuts though.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We had a blast! Some great memories for sure. Ironmaker I live 30 minutes away from Ardmore PA. We have lived here for about 6 years. It is a nice area and you're right about Philly fans they are passionate about their teams here.

...you're right about Philly fans they are passionate about their teams here.

In his autobiography 'Catcher in the Wry', Bob Uecker spoke about getting traded to the Phillies: "So I was going to Philadelphia, where at Easter they boo the kids who don't find eggs." :P