is your car one of the 34 million

spincast

Just a public service notice - the attached article gives details on an airbag recall affecting almost 34 million cars. In the article is a link to the manufacturer's website for both CDN and US registered vehicles.

The logistics and costs of this recall are mind boggling. I suspect it is going to take years to complete, and I can't help but wonder if Takata will be able to support that level of replacement requirements from either an operational or financial position. If I had one of the vehicles affected by this, I would be getting my spot in line as soon as possible. Don't wait for the recall card in the mail

article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/takata-now-has-biggest-recall-in-history-33-8-million-vehicles-1.3079490

CDN link:http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-defectinvestigations-1412.html

US Link: http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html

Thanks for the heads up. Just to get them deactivated would be good till there is a replacement.

You would think all news channels would procast this.

Makes me think about those 2 kids that got killed on the Red Hill Creek Expressway last week???

Edited by Fish Farmer

Just to get them deactivated would be good till there is a replacement.

You would think all news channels would procast this.

That's what I'd do, if I owned one of these cars equipped with that airbag.

But can you imagine the consequences of someone being injured or killed because the airbags were purposely disabled. I wouldn't want to be the person who made that decision to have 34 million vehicle's air bags disabled.

When GM was in the middle of their ignition switch fiasco and the replacement parts were not available after the announcement of the recall. All the owner of one of the affected vehicles had to say; I feel unsafe and I want a rental, until it is repaired. My wife is a service advisor at a GM dealership, they had so many cars on the lot; that they had to start parking them at the rental agency where they were getting the replacement car for their customers.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

my 2014 Silverado has had 10 recalls and 9 other warranty issues, GM offered the company I worked for a 1000.00 off on our next purchase of one vehicle, which the company has over 700 in the fleet, its a working vehicle that's been in the shop more then its been on the road.

I think I'd rather have a potentially defective air bag rather than no airbag any day.....there have been no reported issues in Canada so I think the risk is pretty low.

Edited by G.mech

I think I'd rather have a potentially defective air bag rather than no airbag any day.....there have been no reported issues in Canada so I think the risk is pretty low.

The risk,based on the currently available information may appear low, but consider a) statistics - significantly lower number of vehicles on the CDN roadways than the US, so it only makes sense that not only would the defect be discovered and identified in the US first, but the number of instances would be significantly higher; and B) this wasn't really identified as a situation to look for in accidents in Canada till now, so who knows how often it has happened and the facial lacerations were put down to other factors?

Then consider that the pressure from an exploding airbag that is not over charged will, by design have enough force to break a wrist if the hands are at the top of the wheel when they explode. These ones are exploding with such force they are splintering the metal container that holds them and turning it into shrapnel. Also, consider that an airbag will deploy at slow speed as well as high. So you driving to the store and have a fender bender at 40, and the passenger bag goes off and sends shrapnel into your passenger,blinding them or worse. Who is that most frequently in your car?

The car company / takata are paying for the repairs IMO - let e'm and the sooner the better

Is it just me, or do other people not want a Chinese explosive device in front of them to supposedly protect them or their passengers? Recall or not.

Over- regulation and a global economy.

I've got a crappy, wannabe truck and a baby in a car seat and I can't disable the airbags. I didn't have the option for the airbags in the first place.

The risk,based on the currently available information may appear low, but consider a) statistics - significantly lower number of vehicles on the CDN roadways than the US, so it only makes sense that not only would the defect be discovered and identified in the US first, but the number of instances would be significantly higher; and B) this wasn't really identified as a situation to look for in accidents in Canada till now, so who knows how often it has happened and the facial lacerations were put down to other factors?

Then consider that the pressure from an exploding airbag that is not over charged will, by design have enough force to break a wrist if the hands are at the top of the wheel when they explode. These ones are exploding with such force they are splintering the metal container that holds them and turning it into shrapnel. Also, consider that an airbag will deploy at slow speed as well as high. So you driving to the store and have a fender bender at 40, and the passenger bag goes off and sends shrapnel into your passenger,blinding them or worse. Who is that most frequently in your car?

The car company / takata are paying for the repairs IMO - let e'm and the sooner the better

I'm not saying not to get them fixed but I wouldn't have them disabled in the meantime. I'm sure thousands of these same airbags have deployed as designed and maybe even saved lives. Why disable something that is likely 99.99% fine and way more likely to save you than not?

Edited by G.mech

my 2014 Silverado has had 10 recalls and 9 other warranty issues, GM offered the company I worked for a 1000.00 off on our next purchase of one vehicle, which the company has over 700 in the fleet, its a working vehicle that's been in the shop more then its been on the road.

Don't walk away, RUN from away GM junk.

I'm not saying not to get them fixed but I wouldn't have them disabled in the meantime. I'm sure thousands of these same airbags have deployed as designed and maybe even saved lives. Why disable something that is likely 99.99% fine and way more likely to save you than not?

It might work fine, or it might load your face with shrapnel. I guess you get to make the choice.

Looks like my 04 RAM is on the list, that recall lists as being started in Dec 2014, what, did they run out of envelopes and stamps. I'm the original owner.

My 05 Pilot is on the US list as well, but after talking to Honda it's not on the Canadian recall list.

Your Ram could be the same. :dunno:

article today indicates that not all VINs have been added to the list of cars yet......

It may take several weeks for all cars and trucks in the expanded recall to be entered into the database.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/05/21/us-safety-regulator-to-take-over-takata-airbags-recall-to-speed-up-fix.html

hard to tell based on the comments in here how immediate the risk is - sounds like a degradation of the product overtime is causing / contributing to the situation? So the older your vehicle, the bigger your risk.?

It might work fine, or it might load your face with shrapnel. I guess you get to make the choice.

Or you can seal your fate with a face full of steering wheel....the choice is easy in my mind given the odds involved.