New Personal Best Carp!! June 5th

ccmtcanada

I'm not trying to boost my post count...haha...I actually did catch these fish tonight...and apparently missed an interesting thread!!

Anyhow, our built-in babysitter is away at camp for the next week and a half, so I wasn't sure how much fishing I'd get done. I'm so used to fishing with Bly, that it never really entered my mind to fish by myself tonight. After we put our little one to bed, Bly said "If you want to go out, by all means go....I feel the urge to go, so I figure you must too!!". She's the best wife ever!!! haha. I got the winter gear out because it was a blistering 7 degrees out there!! LOL.

Earlier today, Nipissing mentioned that the water temps in his area dropped DRASTICALLY from this extreme cold front that came through. Now, I know that cold fronts are usually not great for fishing, but I had a thought. I wondered if the drastic change in water temp might knock the Carp off of spawning temporarily and get them feeding again. The spot I went to tonight has been very quiet as of late...a few skunks, but I knew they were there.

Anyhow, I got there later than usual...at about 9pm...I gave myself 1 hour to test my theory. I threw my line out to the spot that usually produces and waited. I didn't have to wait long!!! A carp after 10 minutes, took my bait and the fight began!! Bly is usually with me, so I wasn't sure I'd land it with a net. It took me about 15 minutes to land....I put the net out there and got it!! It was HUGE by my standards...a new personal best at 37" and weighing in at 24 pounds!! Here's the pic....and another OFC Tourney entry!

gallery_60_23_39733.jpg

I only had enough chum with me for 3 casts...so that was the first one. I quickly threw my line back out there and within about 10 minutes, I felt a few line bumps...then it got quiet. Still, at least there were line bumps! I brought it back in because my feeder was empty. I then put the last of my ground bait on the spring feeder and cast it back out. It was now 9:50pm and I gave myself 10 minutes...my fingers were getting numb from the cold. Right at 10pm, line started peeling from my reel and I landed this little guy...a 27" 10 pounder.

gallery_60_23_71399.jpg

This one, even though was smaller was really tough to get into the net...it was pitch dark out and I didn't have the luxury of Bly there with the net and flash light to net him.

Anyhow, that's it for today...my theory seemed to work....too bad these EXTREME cold fronts during spawning season are very few and far between!!!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Congratulations on the PB carp. Your posts this year have been inspiring but now I'm just getting depressed - need to get out there and break my 2007 carp skunk! LOL :wallbash::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Good shooting Cliff.

If we could use me as our carp entry, we'd win for the heaviest and also the ugliest carp

in the tourney. ;):lol:

I expect to add a few inches to the tourney totals as well.....one day. :rolleyes:

Excellent news! Congrats to yet another personal best! C-c-c-cold out tonight! Man, I should really tighten up on my time management. In the first hour of my fishing, I'm just starting to untangle myself from the spools of line, rooting through the bags trying to decide my first cast, eating snacks that are supposed to last me the entire day, looking for things I just had a moment ago, catching my breath because too much is going on at one time but really nothing is happening at all, and again looking for that cake that I had a second ago ... did I already eat it? In that time, you managed to arrive, set up, catch your personal best, pack up, and depart. Piece of cake! Now where did that go to?

Congrats again!

Excellent news! Congrats to yet another personal best! C-c-c-cold out tonight! Man, I should really tighten up on my time management. In the first hour of my fishing, I'm just starting to untangle myself from the spools of line, rooting through the bags trying to decide my first cast, eating snacks that are supposed to last me the entire day, looking for things I just had a moment ago, catching my breath because too much is going on at one time but really nothing is happening at all, and again looking for that cake that I had a second ago ... did I already eat it? In that time, you managed to arrive, set up, catch your personal best, pack up, and depart. Piece of cake! Now where did that go to?

Congrats again!

LOL...thanks! Your reply almost made me spit out my drink....LOL. That was a hilarious reply...thanks for that.

BTW....I think maybe H2whoa! hid your cake....check with her!!!

Congrats Cliff, those carp really are fun to catch. And I only caught 4 on the weekend, my first ever carp but each one beat the other topping out at 25.6lbs and my wife catches one and it is 28lbs. Man those fish are big and ugly.

Way to go Cliff and I couldnt imagine trying to get one on shore alone, that must be a pain.

:thumbsup_anim: Just when I thought I heard it all, you go out & catch carp, during an extreme cold front, and land 'im in the pitch dark . . . . . single-handedly?? To make it more fair (for the carp) you should start tying one hand behind your back, and use a bent safety pin for a hook!! Oh yeah, and a Frabil ultra-light ice rod! My bet is this wouldn't even slow ya down!! The way you have successfully gone after carp makes me figure you might be ready to ship out to Loch Ness and go after the biggest carp of 'em all!! (I've always thought 'Nessie' was just a big ol' leather carp anyway! :Gonefishing: )

I told Carol last night that I always love when you get out fishing because I have something to look forward to reading. Wow, you both are amazing. Even with no babysitter you find a way to head out and look what happens.

Congrats on your PB. The two of you motivate the heck out of me!

Cheers,

Jen

Congrats on the PB Carp. :thumbsup_anim: Excellent report as always. Thanks for sharing. Keep those inches coming. I can see it now...bly gets a 37.5 incher down the road, then you get a 38 incher, then bly gets a 38.5 incher and so on. It's only a matter of time.

FOTB

:Gonefishing: