They're baaaaaaack! (nf)

I've had dogs all my life, and only seen one tick ever, and that was last summer on my chocolate lab. He also passed away last summer. I don't blame the tick, just found it ironic.

Nasty critters. I hope I never get one on me.

S.

As anicdotal , not suggested as reliable, B1 vitamin seems to discourage them. I used it one year visiting my relatives in Minnesota where even with strong DEET you got ate by mosquitoes and it seemed to help some with the mosquitoes. At sunset they mosquitoes rose like clouds and strong Deet and the B1 change it to slow Macarana instead of slap dancing. We went to an Uncles cottage and got stuck in the pine sand on the way back to it. So I was hot and thirsty and cut across the meadow and my Dad stayed to the road, later I also walked over to the creek to try casting a few flies. Now to the point... my Dad had stopped taking the B1, he had 3 ticks and all had bit, by the end of the day I had removed 75 and none had bit. I was taking 300mg in the morning and evening for a couple days before I went there so it was in the sweat. If you can't avoid them it MIGHT be worth a try for a week or two to see if it works (how ever long a bottle lasts).

Edited by mosquito

As anicdotal , not suggested as reliable, B1 vitamin seems to discourage them. I used it one year visiting my relatives in Minnesota where even with strong DEET you got ate by mosquitoes and it seemed to help some with the mosquitoes. At sunset they mosquitoes rose like clouds and strong Deet and the B1 change it to slow Macarana instead of slap dancing. We went to an Uncles cottage and got stuck in the pine sand on the way back to it. So I was hot and thirsty and cut across the meadow and my Dad stayed to the road, later I also walked over to the creek to try casting a few flies. Now to the point... my Dad had stopped taking the B1, he had 3 ticks and all had bit, by the end of the day I had removed 75 and none had bit. I was taking 300mg in the morning and evening for a couple days before I went there so it was in the sweat. If you can't avoid them it MIGHT be worth a try for a week or two to see if it works (how ever long a bottle lasts).

It not just vit b1. Your better off using a b complex. All the guys that work in the bush round here use it and it repels spruce bugs etc.

It is anecdotal as studies suggest it doesnt work.

But try it yourself(b complex is good take take daily regardless)

And see how well it works.

Which reminds me I better start taking mine again lol

Edited by manitoubass2

I've never gotten one on me or my dog ever, never seen one. Guess I've been lucky!!

I've never had to deal with them or seen one either. Looks like it maybe the norm soon. I'm guessing the banning of all of the pesticides and herbicides has helped the tick to reproduce more?? (Or maybe global warming?? Someone had to say it. :D) Thanks for the tip on the supplements M and MB2.

Why no matter how cold or hot, when Im walking rivers through the bush,I always wear my hoodie with log sleeves. It does get hot,but best way for me any ways, to keep them off the skin. Always have a hat on as well. Not sure that will 100% prevent one attaching to me,but been working so far.

BITE BACK ROLOF

K9Advantix is the way to go.

Revolution is not great for ticks -although great for everything else.

There are also oral medications that are effective.

Can't depend on flea/tick collars. New info suggests they are also potentially toxic

Hotspots for Lyme disease is the north shores of Erie and Lake O. Especially Long Point, Prince Edward County, Kingston and up the St Lawrence.

Nasty disease.

Be careful. You and your dog.

K9Advantix is the way to go.

Revolution is not great for ticks -although great for everything else.

There are also oral medications that are effective.

Can't depend on flea/tick collars. New info suggests they are also potentially toxic

Thanks for that info capt, our vet usually refers to it as heartworm medication . I've never had a tick in my yard here in 31 years but Elsa does like to run with the pack at the local dog park and she was a rescue initially , so the heartworm is a plus for me. To get rid of the fleas in the house I spread Borax on the carpeting , worked it in with a broom and vacuumed a few days later, lot cheaper than the specialty product at the pet store.