Water Temps - Really Low

AKRISONER

Finally hit the softwater for the first time this past weekend with the floats and needless to say, things are wayyyy behind on GB.

First day on the water on Friday it was snowing and the water temps were ranging from 35 to 38. Needless to say a change of tactics ensued.

The fish were still suspending in winter mode in 40 FOW.

moving along a rock wall drop off my buddy hooked into a 35 inch pike on his panfish gear and the pike was shooting roe. I dont think I ever remember a year where the Pike hadnt even spawned at the begining of May.

Tough sluggin to say the least! By the late afternoon saturday the sun helped the water reach the 39-41 range, but looks like it might be a tough opener this year!

Yes water is cold for sure I could not find water yesterday over 45 degrees !!!! Even the back bays on my Kawartha lake were very cold really slooooooow day sposed to be warmer for the rest of the week so it will help for sure & get the pannies moving I hope !!!! Fish-on

Wow, that is cold. I found 60 degree water last weekend, but still slow fishing. We managed enough for a crappie dinner, but not much more!

This week will get things rolling. Warm nights and light winds with sunny days....slay time!

S.

I noticed this as well on Sunday while up at Georgian Bay in the Port Severn area. The good news is that the water level seemed to be up quite a bit from last year but the water was still very cold. The usual spots around the boat slips where Pike have come into spawn previous years showed no signs of fish yet. It looks like it will be a late spawn this year. With that being said the forecast looks promising for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it will warm up the Bay.

ill be heading back up to Pointe au Baril next weekend, we are hoping by then the water will be into the mid 50's maybe even 60 (fingers crossed)

I am kind of hoping that this week will get the spawn out of the way so that the pike are hungry, this weekend might be a complete bust with the pike spawning rather than eating.

The lake looks very very dead, even when we found the panfish suspended deep they were not interested at all.

Re water levels, the water came up so high during a storm this spring that our marine rail system got submerged and our winch ended up filling with water and then freezing. Our fibreglass now is stuck on the rail until further notice.

Im hoping that all of these crazy high water levels are going to provide some fantastic spawning habitat for the fish as many of the small shore trees and reeds are now submerged. I found one spot that 4 years ago was tall reeds and small saplings with a river flowing out through them, that now holds 2 feet of water...and the river is now back 100 yards into the bush.

Edited by AKRISONER

Back bays were 8-9 degrees at the surface and open water was 7-8 degrees on Sunday where we were. Brrrrr, I must be getting older cause it felt like liquid nitrogen when I stepped in. We didn't see any fish in the shallows yet either.

I'm surprised the temps were that high. After all, the ice just went out. I live on the Notty and the temp last week reached 10 or so but that's a river w/o all the mass of lake water to heat up.

ill be heading back up to Pointe au Baril next weekend, we are hoping by then the water will be into the mid 50's maybe even 60 (fingers crossed)

I am kind of hoping that this week will get the spawn out of the way so that the pike are hungry, this weekend might be a complete bust with the pike spawning rather than eating.

The lake looks very very dead, even when we found the panfish suspended deep they were not interested at all.

I will be heading up there as well, hopefully those temps increase.

I'm surprised the temps were that high. After all, the ice just went out. I live on the Notty and the temp last week reached 10 or so but that's a river w/o all the mass of lake water to heat up.

I was a bit sceptical as well but the thermometer and the sonar matched up.

I remember my dad going to Lady Evelyn lake one year for the walleye opener in May, the camp owner told him the ice just got off the lake the week before.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/44253

Note the change in the prevailing winds, maybe it will warm up a bit up north too? It hasn't been a warm spring yet here either.

Pike have been known to spawn under the ice. You could find pre, post and spawning fish with this weather. Also, look for muskies :)

This is true, not all pike spawn at the same time and some are dropping eggs before the ice is even gone.