I love crappie

bigugli

Nothing says spring like crappie fishing. 2 solid outings over Easter with some great results. Bite tended to be slow, but they were there. Bucktail jigs lightly twitched under a float have been very effective.

Lots of good sized crappie in the 9-11" range. Maybe 5 dinks in all.

had a couple of large OOS surprises, especially the 36"(appx) pike the son landed on 2lb line.

Still can't load pics. That will have to wait for the new computer.

what is going on in the kawarthas that the water is so low?

It has happened before. They lower the lake levels and lock levels in anticipation of a predicted snow load and it's following runoff. If it does not materialize, you are stuck with water bodies below the norm. It's a guessing game. They would do the same thing on Six mile Lake as a reservoir for Gloucester Pool on the Severn system. Some of the shallower channels would end up impassable.

Realistically, we only really saw one month of solid accumulation. That was February. January was snow and melt, and most of March was just dry.

Anybody want to give up some hints as to where some good crappie (or perch) spots are near Fergus? Not GPS coordinates for where to throw my line, but just some general ideas so I can get my line wet. Still new to the area and doing all I can to observe the locals. Today I saw someone with a spinning rod on the bridge over the Grand at Scotland Street. Didn't think that stretch of river would hold anything considering its pretty much locked in with dams. I know a lot of people go to Guelph Lake and Belwood Lake and Island Lake in Orangeville for ice fishing, but I'm not sure the ice is completely out at those places.

Just think, 20 or so years ago no one talked about crappie. Now you can't keep people away from them. LOL

Pannies have always been the spring ritual for me. Crappie, gills, perch.

The one question I would ask. Just how many of us owned computers 20 years back, and how much time did we spend online back then?

The one question I would ask. Just how many of us owned computers 20 years back, and how much time did we spend online back then?

There were very few crappies in the Kawarthas and most of Ontario 20 yrs. ago except bit of Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay around Severn area. White crappie in Welland area then as well.

About 15 yrs. ago the black crappie exploded through Kawarthas, etc. Caught my first Kawartha crappie on Pigeon incidentally in 1997. It was a 15 incher. They have been much smaller since.

Any idea what type of water temps you're seeing?

We did not have any real runoff yet in the channel and the bay is iced over still. But I think the temp may be close to 40F. Fingers weren't freezing when I was dipping my hands in.