Hope you dont have anything in for repairs

spincast

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/future-shop-stores-closed-across-canada-some-to-become-best-buy-1.3013534

The company said it was shutting down 66 Future Shop stores effective immediately. Meanwhile, another 65 stores will be closed for a week while they are converted to Best Buy stores.

"Due to the consolidation, approximately 500 full-time and 1,000 part-time positions will be eliminated," Best Buy said.

"We were called into a meeting [at 7 a.m.]," said one man employed as a computer sales representative at a Future Shop in Quebec City. "They did offer you choices ... but it was the package deal I took, so that's it."

"I'm keeping my job. I'm a customer service rep," a woman at the store said.

Future Shop was purchased by Best Buy in 2001 for $580 million.

In a statement announcing the latest move, the Burnaby, B.C.-based retailer said it reviewed all locations for both retailers and found some were so close in proximity they shared the same parking lot.

Two years ago, Best Buy spoke of how it had to adapt to a "changing retail landscape" where online stores were winning a greater share of the electronics market as it closed eight Future Shop and seven Best Buy big box stores across the country.

I never understood them running both Best Buy and Futureshop after they merged to be honest. Surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Ditto, the one I really miss is the old Radio Shack, where you could get CB's, scanners , shortwave radios, coax cable , antennae and all manner of electronic parts. The new Source as they call it is pretty much a cell phone retailer and some lower end home entertainment stuff.

There was even a few Radio shacks that sold leather working supplies going way back.

Yeah the old Radioshacks were the best!

I remember getting my first wood burning kit there.... How times have changed

G

Wonder what happens to those that purchased extended warranties on their products....?

Edited by Gerritt

G

Wonder what happens to those that purchased extended warranties on their products....?

They'll be honoured via Best Buy I'd think.

Yeah the old Radioshacks were the best!

My very first computer was a Radio Shack TRS 80. No hard drive, no floppy drive, no software, you had to write all your own programs in basic and store them on a cassette recorder. Cost me $1780.00 and that was back in the late 70's.

The writing was on the wall when FS was bought out. Too many retailers with slimming margins because everything is becoming a commodity and disposable. My neighbours are all on their 2nd or 3rd flat screen tvs and I still have my old Panasonic 27 inch tube tvs that give me no issues.

Best Buy will honour all existing repairs, warranty work, gift cards and online orders. Since Best Buy is the parent company all their systems seem to be integrated so that's one good thing about it.

Showing up for work Saturday to closed doors with no warning at all....well that just sucks!!

A few years ago Future Shop in the Ancaster location was closed on a Monday AM without warning. Best Buy popped up a few sign changes latter. More than a few customers had their PC's and other electronics in there for repair and it was a nightmare to get their stuff back. I never purchased another big ticket item from them after that. I just don't understand the workings of big retailers. There seems to be a Shopper Drug Mart and Tim Hortons on every corner. Competing against one self is something I don't understand. The parent company gets it's franchise fee every month and cuts it's nose to spite it's face. So maybe I do understand the business model.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

G

They'll be honoured via Best Buy I'd think.

This is correct I heard on the news that Best Buy will in fact honor them

yeah, I'm sure the message is we'll honour any FS warranty or service - but you will likely have to go through hoops to prove it. Same as getting anything back from the repair shop. They just aren't structured to deal with this type of situation, so it will be done poorly. ccmt hit it on the head - its not like Best Buy didn't know this was coming - just a low class way to treat your employees. Yes, its difficult when your closing - but whose fault is that? Gonna be a lot of retail staff looking for work

One good thing Spincast is their warranty and repair is all done by the same "company"....Geek Squad. That should make any pending service easy to deal with. It's the stuff that was just dropped off for service on the days leading up to the closure....who knows if that stuff ever made it out of the store.