Transmission coolers

Beavertail

With the upcoming boating season on the horizon, I'm thinking of installing a transmission cooler on my "new to me" used Sante Fe. Seems like cheap insurance to me but was wondering if any members had some opinions on the matter. Good idea? Waste of money? Let's hear it...

How many K's...factory warranty left...what type of boat...

90,000km on the vehicle, 10k left on the warranty. The vehicle didn't come with the tow prep package from the factory but I did have a hitch recently installed. My boat doesn't weigh too much, approx 1500lbs but I may upgrade to something bigger in the future.

Trans coolers are rarely a bad idea and usually increase the life of a trans even if you don't tow.

However, unless you are going to be towing those 1,500 pounds up and over some really big hills, you probably don't need one.

Does your car have a trans temperature gauge? Those are REALLY useful if you tow a lot.

The vehicle does not have a trans temp gauge. Spoke with a guy from a local independent transmission shop...granted he is a bit biased but, he even installed a cooler on his wife's sedan. I guess it couldn't hurt and I do plan on driving this vehicle until the wheels fall off.

My new F150 came with a cooler and two temperature guages. One is a regular analog gauge and the other a digital read out. I love having this option as I towed an 18 foot house trailer (5000 lbs) all over the South last summer. That thing held it's temperature like a rock!

when I had my 2005 SF I asked the dealership about installing one as I was pulling something about the same weight as you had. They told me mine already had one. I'd check with them first, and be sure to ask if it will affect the warranty.

Years ago I towed a large pop up trailer out west and over the Rockie Mountains. I was very close to the max weight of the 2002 Ford Escape's towing cap. That Escape already had a towing package with a external tranny cooler. However, since I knew I was pushing the limits especially in the mountains I added another tranny cooler AND a tranny temp gauge that I installed on the dash. Normal tranny temps were around 140 but when I crossed the continental divide (twice) that Escape struggled to make it to the top and the tranny temp gauge spiked at 280 degrees. I sweated it out and we made the trip without any issues. However, once we made it back home I dumped that tranny fluid and refilled with new fluid. Heat is the # 1 issue that kills trannies.

Now getting back to your concern. What is the towing cap on the vehicle you are using. I am guessing it's 3500 lbs........if so and you don't intend to tow over mountains, I would not bother with a tranny cooler........but if you would sleep better with one, do it yourself for around $100 or less and sleep like a baby when your not fishing.

It probably already has one that is plumbed into the radiator. A ton of vehicles use this setup. The tranny cooler is it's own little section of the radiator. This isn't the greatest setup because it gets quite a bit of heat soak from the coolant going through the rad. This is because your engine coolant is about 100 def F hotter than your tranny fluid regularly is. It's really only there to keep you from frying your fluid under extreme circumstances.

If I were I would bypass the OEM tranny cooler altogether and run a standard aluminum cooler anywhere that it'll get good airflow utilizing the stock lines if you can. That's what I did on my 850R and installed a temp probe on the hotside and it kept the temps way lower than the OEM cooler did. Even attaching it through the radiator so it sits in front as close to the cold side of the rad as possible with insulator brackets will be a lot better than the OEM cooler.

Even if you do run a cooler, you're tranny fluid is going to go through a lot harsher temperature cycles when towing and replacing the fluid on a regular basis is going to be your best insurance. Not as hard as it seems. All you need a hose fitting, a bucket, a funnel, and some tranny fluid. If your tranny doesn't have a dipstick you need to measure what you take out and put the same amount in. Easy Peasy. I used to do mine with every oil change, only took about 10min.

Edited by Wagoneer

One thing to remember for those with aftermarket tranny coolers, check the connections monthly. I know of two tranny failures because of hoses coming off the tranny on one and the hose coming off the cooler on the other......oops. Trying to save the trannies was the death of them.