Lost dock - Severn Sound GBay

irishfield

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought docks should somehow be licensed so in a case just like this the owner could be held responsible for not properly securing it or removing it from the water before freeze.

That huge dock is gonna be floating around GBay for awhile unless someone drags it to shore, or some poor schmuk is gonna be running down the lake in a month or 2 and hammer that thing and maybe kill himself.

Might not be a bad idea Lew but to be honest with you I'll bet the owner of that dock would be really happy to have not lost it in the first place. My dock was only 30' long by 5' wide, it is going to cost me close to $2500.00 to replace it by the time I get done with buying the materials and I'll do all the labour myself.

In the 15 years we have been living here we have never had a problem leaving the dock in until freeze up. It makes life so eazy when you can just walk out onto the ice, pick up the panels and frame and carry them back to shore. This year the ice formed early then broke up, a bad shift in the wind and there it was, gone and all smashed to pieces.

It wouldn't have made any differance if my dock was licensed or not (oh and BTW that was another tax that has already been proposed) when you own one the last thing you want to have to do is replace it never mind about having to pay a license fee and a fine on top of the cost.

I hear ya Cliff, but IMHO it's up to whoever owns a dock to be absolutely 100% sure it's secured so it doesn't break free or else get it up on the beach.

I know a person who's dock broke loose when the ice went out and he couldn't have cared less, he just built a new one. A month later I found his dock 1/2 way down the lake in a back bay. I told him where his dock was and he said as long as HE didn't smash into it, it made no difference to him if anybody else hit it or not.

Yup, that's why mine is up on shore.

It's a pain taking it out and putting it in every year but I have too much $$$$ invested to have it destroyed by the ice.

10489825_940612742631732_589275892087927

Looks like you have the right conditions to put that main dock on hinges anchored to the shoreline rock. Then just crank it up for the winter.

Might not be a bad idea Lew but to be honest with you I'll bet the owner of that dock would be really happy to have not lost it in the first place. My dock was only 30' long by 5' wide, it is going to cost me close to $2500.00 to replace it by the time I get done with buying the materials and I'll do all the labour myself.

In the 15 years we have been living here we have never had a problem leaving the dock in until freeze up. It makes life so eazy when you can just walk out onto the ice, pick up the panels and frame and carry them back to shore. This year the ice formed early then broke up, a bad shift in the wind and there it was, gone and all smashed to pieces.

It wouldn't have made any differance if my dock was licensed or not (oh and BTW that was another tax that has already been proposed) when you own one the last thing you want to have to do is replace it never mind about having to pay a license fee and a fine on top of the cost.

I agree. The last thing we need is more taxes, fees or licenses.