Gore tex

mike rousseau

So I was wondering...

Is gore text gore tex? Lol

What I mean is all gore tex pretty much the same?

Is there a difference in the actual material when comparing a $100 jacket and a $300 jacket...? Or are we paying triple for better zippers and pockets...

I'm in the market for a new rain suit

I love my cabelas guide-wear (got on clearance) but unfortunately I didn't treat it as well as I should have and need a new suit... but the price is overwhelming... I don't really wanna drop $700 on a suit... But I will if it keeps me dryer....

So let's here your opinions on gore tex and your experience with suits both good and bad

Goretex is the best of the breathable fabrics, IMO. There are other less expensive brands with similar characteristics, but they all have one thing in common, and that is you have to take care of them, to maintain the breathability, and repellency. If you don't it's just a waste of money.

I always hang the gear, (waders or rainwear) to dry when home, and wash in the approved method with either Graingers or Nik Wax products at least once a year. Waders usually a few times to keep them clean and fresh.

I wont buy anything else.

I wear Cabella's home brand hunting rain suit and have absolutely 0 complaints. The jacket feels exactly like goretex and is just as breathable. Not to mention has kept me perfectly dry in the worst conditions.

theres no need to pay for the Gore-tex Branding IMO, just dont cheap out.

Apparently, Gore-tex doesn't refer to a specific fabric but "a specific set of performance characteristics". That's probably one of the reasons you see different prices.

Personally, I am just confused by it all, lol.

GORE-TEX®the new Product Ranges

The Gore naming system is targeted to performance characteristics and end use and not dependent on specific technology. Choice of face fabrics and construction help define the product and which category it qualifies for.

GORE-TEX Pro Shell

Engineered with the most rugged, most breathable fabrics for extended and extreme conditions. GORE-TEX Pro Shells meet the demands of outdoor professionals and serious enthusiasts.

Pro Shell includes the latest technology improvements. Finished garments also have to meet rigorous standards in: breathability, strength to weight and durability to weight.

Most closely related to previous XCR category.

2L and 3L - key 3L feature is the new Micro Grid woven backer technology – improves internal abrasion and snag resistance, enhances breathability and decreases garment weight.

NOTE: because the Micro Grid backer does not stretch it is not possible to have a stretch Pro Shell product.

GORE-TEX Performance Shell

Designed to provide comfort and durable waterproof protection. GORE-TEX Performance shells are ideal for a wide range of outdoor activities.

Performance Shell includes - Z-liner, 2L and 3L with the traditional tricot backer.

Performance is similar to previous Classic category.

GORE-TEX Paclite Shell

Featuring the lightest, most packable fabrics. GORE-TEX Paclite Shells are extremely breathable and are ideal when weight and space is critical.

PacLite shells must be less than 16 oz to qualify.

GORE-TEX Soft Shell

Constructed with soft and warm fabrics. GORE-TEX Soft Shells are designed for reduced layering and improved freedom of movement in colder conditions.

GORE™ Comfort Mapping Technology

Improves comfort through intelligent garment design. Viewing the human body as a map with several different climatic zones, specific GORE-TEX fabrics are uniquely combined to increase breathability, comfort against the skin, warmth, and/or fit, precisely where they are needed most.

Total Comfort – Gore goes the extra mile to assure the final garment performs for the consumer. They have established maximum Ret’s for their fabrics and for the linings that may be used in 2L garments.

Pro: overall garment <6 Ret - lining <2.5 Ret

Performance: overall garment <13 Ret - lining <3 Ret

Was that the qualifier line up Lew...

And I'm still loving that 2 tone musky.. Such a cool fish

I've had it a long time Mike and can't remember the model but it was $300 for bibs & jacket.

It's light weight and great for summer but with a fleece it's fantastic in cold weather too and I always wear it when I'm running the snowblower.

As for the 2 toner, it was definitely a cool fish indeed.

There are lots of waterproof breathables on the market, all based on the same principle as gore-tex (pore size that allows tiny vapor particles to get through, but keeps huge water droplets out). IMHO, some of them are just as good as Gore-tex. I have been using the Patagonia shells for years and find them just as good as much pricier gore-tex based shells.

Outerware companies figured out pretty quickly that the membrane (which is different than the fabric it is attached to) was only as good as the water resistant coating on the outside of the garment; if rain/spray doesn't "bead up" on the outside of the garment, then the garment can't breathe. That is one of the reasons for keeping waterproof/breathables clean and conditioned. High-end companies put a lot of research into selecting the fabrics that the membrane is bonded to, often getting a fabric custom made for a specific garment. Lower priced companies have a tendency to buy "off the shelf" fabrics that may or may not function well as a waterproof/breathable.

Purchase nothing but a Cabela's name brand with either Gore Tex or Cabela's Dry Plus and here's why.

ALL CABELA'S NAME BRAND CLOTHING HAS LIFETIME WARRANTY THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT.

You can't beat that warranty with a Ugly Stick :)

I got a killer dealer on some Guidewear in the fall from the US site. Can't wait to use it this spring! I had no idea it had a lifetime warranty.

GUIDELINES:

Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship.

All other Cabela's brand merchandise and National brand boots and shoes are guaranteed for one full year under normal use and against defects in materials or workmanship.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ReturnsPolicy&WTz_l=Footer

Now where did I put that Ugly Stick....... :)

Sounds like cabelas has a great option.

My gear is stormtech, wasnt too expensive but I got it for my bday so thats a bonus.

Its crazy to think about how far these products have come.

In my stormtech suit I can fish in a downpour for hours and your still dry as dry can be.

I picked up the pro qualifier set from BPS last year, definitely the best purchase I made that year. Worked amazing in the rain. I preferred it over Guidewear/100mph as it was just a shell which allowed me to wear it in warmer temperatures, the coat atleast. And in the fall I just layered underneath with a sweater and fished until season end. And if you needed something thicker, the 100mph liner zips into the pro qualifier. Tried the Simms, nice coat but the BPS set was good enough, half the cost on sale also.

There are lots of waterproof breathables on the market, all based on the same principle as gore-tex (pore size that allows tiny vapor particles to get through, but keeps huge water droplets out). IMHO, some of them are just as good as Gore-tex. I have been using the Patagonia shells for years and find them just as good as much pricier gore-tex based shells.

Outerware companies figured out pretty quickly that the membrane (which is different than the fabric it is attached to) was only as good as the water resistant coating on the outside of the garment; if rain/spray doesn't "bead up" on the outside of the garment, then the garment can't breathe. That is one of the reasons for keeping waterproof/breathables clean and conditioned. High-end companies put a lot of research into selecting the fabrics that the membrane is bonded to, often getting a fabric custom made for a specific garment. Lower priced companies have a tendency to buy "off the shelf" fabrics that may or may not function well as a waterproof/breathable.

^

^

Best answer to OP's question