Poor Man's Filet Mignon (NF)

solopaddler

For those of you who like to cook you might find this interesting. It may be common knowledge to some but I just learned this trick myself a couple years ago and it really works!

You can transform the cheapest, toughest cut of beef into ultra tender steak by tenderizing it with coarse salt.

Cover the cut of meat with salt and let it sit 1 hour for every inch, so if it's 11/2" thick you let it sit for 11/2 hours. The salt draws moisture out of the meat and breaks down the protein molecules making it unbelievably tender.

Thoroughly wash off all the salt, season it as you wish and grill it. You won't believe how good it is. :)

There's a youtube video describing the process:

Thanks for sharing Mike, lets hope that the weather will allow us to test the theory really soon. :D

John

A true Canadian barbeques year round John! Keeping the back patio cleared of snow and the barbeque going is my way of saying "screw you winter!" :)

Have you actually tried this? I'm a butcher of 15 years, and in my experience, salt dries it out too much causing the meat to be tougher, you want to keep all the juices in it that you can.

Another tip for cooking any meat other than birds, leave it sit on your counter top for at least 2 hours prior to cooking, bringing it to room temp causes the the muscle fibres to relax and cook more evenly and be more tender and juicy.

You can also pick up a pack of Frenchs Marinade for $1.50, just add water, or any other liquid you want, let the meat sit in it for an hour or so.

When it comes to meats, you truly do get what you pay for.

Try to buy AAA or better, pick out a steak or roast with good marbling, don't pick out the leanest piece in the counter. Animal fats are natural fats and are actually good for you and for your joints. There's a reason why prime rib is more tender than sirloin, and its because of that marbling.

Have you actually tried this? I'm a butcher of 15 years, and in my experience, salt dries it out too much causing the meat to be tougher, you want to keep all the juices in it that you can.

Another tip for cooking any meat other than birds, leave it sit on your counter top for at least 2 hours prior to cooking, bringing it to room temp causes the the muscle fibres to relax and cook more evenly and be more tender and juicy.

You can also pick up a pack of Frenchs Marinade for $1.50, just add water, or any other liquid you want, let the meat sit in it for an hour or so.

When it comes to meats, you truly do get what you pay for.

Try to buy AAA or better, pick out a steak or roast with good marbling, don't pick out the leanest piece in the counter. Animal fats are natural fats and are actually good for you and for your joints. There's a reason why prime rib is more tender than sirloin, and its because of that marbling.

Been doing it for over 2 years now, and yes it works.

That's awesome Mike! Definitely gonna try that with one of those cheaper blade steaks. By the way I am fussy when it comes to good quality steaks but when rib eyes are $40.00/kg I get nervous. I purchased a whole loin the other day - all steaks $7.99/ lb. Aged 21 days. Most grocery stores age their beef only 7 days.

A true Canadian barbeques year round John! Keeping the back patio cleared of snow and the barbeque going is my way of saying "screw you winter!" :)

My back deck is 50' x 14' and is the 1st thing shovelled after every snowfall and the BBQ is used all year long.

Nuthin better than looking out the window and watching the Mrs. BBQ T-Bones in a snowstorm. :lol:

Edited by lew

My back deck is 50' x 14' and is the 1st thing shovelled after every snowfall and the BBQ is used all year long.

Nuthin better than looking out the window and watching the Mrs. BBQ T-Bones in a snowstorm. :lol:

I'd be relegated to the couch!

Ewwww gross! I'll take care of the beef on our trips this year okay? :lol:

And how do you think (the Keg or whoever) ages their meat for 28 days?

I haven't tried the "salt" thing but I do know it dries meat out, I use it all the time for making jerky/fish/bacon for just that reason but I am willing to give it a shot.

Pre-salted meat will always be more tender. That's a fact. If you salt your steaks just prior to or during the cooking, it'll toughen them up. Most people who know anything at all about this will salt their tougher cuts a few hours prior to cooking. Some "purists" prefer to salt them a couple of days prior to cooking.

Ive done this for large family gatherings and it works perfect(call me cheap but im not buying 30 new york strips lol)

I prefer to salt the day before, rinse, then add tome turmeric or bromalaine and again let sit and rest/rinse.

I always have my steak at or near room temp before cooking.

The only thing ill use for marinade is worchestshire sause (however the heck ya spell it lol)