Weekend Trip Report

solopaddler

I left for the cottage last Thursday by myself for a weekend of mostly work and a bit of fishing. It's so hard to get anyone to commit to going, seems as though all my buddies are just too busy....I think I'm going to have to start soliciting the board to see if anyone wants to come with me ;) .

Speaking of which there's a board member (FinS) who lives 15 minutes from my landing. Buddy, I tried to call you when I arrived, but my cel phone was completely non functional. I think I'm going to have to switch to Bell service as others don't seem to have the same problems. Anyhow, sorry I missed you...

Back to my report....I loaded the boat and headed up the lake arriving around 2pm on Thursday.

100_1213.jpg

I had to rebuild a flight of stairs as well as dig a hole for a new grey water pit.

Thursday and Friday the weather was really crappy up there: coolish temps, tons of rain, and millions of mosquitos. Not the greatest conditions to be working in, but I persevered.

Here's my hole :D . I'm quite proud of it actually....It's mostly filled with water from the rain, but it's a good 4' deep and was an unbelievable pain to dig!

100_1223.jpg

I did a bit of fishing late Friday evening and started out by catching this monster!

100_1215.jpg

Things started to pick up a bit after that. Nothing big, but nice eaters....

100_1216.jpg

100_1217.jpg

Kept a few for a late night fry.

100_1218.jpg

Mmmmmm......yummy!

100_1221.jpg

It's an interesting time fishing wise on my lake... The walleye are in transition from their early spring, opening weekend locations to their traditional summer spots like mid-lake humps, points, island saddles, etc.

For many that I spoke to on the lake, they were pretty frustrated with their results, but then they were fishing in the wrong spots ;) .

By and large the fish were most active in 8-10' of water, still quite shallow. The key though was to concentrate on large sandy flats that had the most new weed growth. 90 percent of my lake is clear, deep and rocky, so finding those kinds of spots is easy....there's only 2 like that on the entire lake.

Crawling slowly along with the electric with either a light jig or a spinner rig with minimal weight tipped with a worm was deadly....

Anyhow, when I get back up there in 2 weeks I expect the fish will be relating to more traditional locations. I generally find them much more predictable and easier to catch once they're on their summer spots.

Enough of the seminar :D!

After working on the steps on Saturday I managed to sneak out for a bit of fishing

100_1224.jpg

100_1227.jpg

100_1228.jpg

The walleyes were really on Saturday afternoon. Had an absolute blast probably catching at least 30.

Again none were huge, but still, lots of fun.

Saturday evening I cleaned the place up, cracked open a cold one, and cooked up an awesome dinner.

100_1233.jpg

A great ending to a productive trip!

cheers, Mike

great report bud, unreal how these kids of mine keep me hopin, so much so I cant even make the trip up

Louis, believe me I hear you! We'll just have to plan it well in advance. With enough notice you can squeeze anything into your schedule.

Next time bud ;) .

Amazing report. Loving the pics

I have a sudden urge for shore lunch.

Are those shrooms in the last pic? Always looking for some new idiot-proof recipes.

Yep, about as idiot proof as it gets. Mushrooms, potatos, Montreal steak spice, a little olive oil and butter, seal in foil and throw on the grill. Nothing to clean up ;) .

Great stuff Mike! I know all about them cottage repairs and haulin supplies via boat. Haven't mastered the fish catching in between though..... :D

Just look at things analytically Wayne. Apply yourself like I'm sure you do when you're building a plane and you'll be the next Izumi ;) .

Next time Give me a fair times notice i wouldn't mind going even if you need some help in regards to fixing up your cottage

the fishing looks like it would be worth it.

You bet Patrick, next time I'm heading up solo I'll give you shout.

Mike ...with a report like that I would be more then happy to go do some work up at your cottage ....as long as you take me to your fishin spots....dinner looks good...thanxs for the pics