Kayaking musky opener

jediangler

Hit the 401 at 4am with the Shipper & Impaler in tow for the 250km drive to Sturgeon lake for the musky opener. After stopping at Timmies in Port Perry we arrived at the launch and were on the water by 7am.

126092.jpg

Water temps at the launch were 63F but at our destination it was 70F. It was so still you could see bottom in 8ft of water.

126142.jpg

By 7:30am this 28" musky attacked my Mepps musky killer in a weed patch no deeper than 5ft of water. It wrapped itself in my line and came to the kayak hog-tied. The Shipper had one on a T1 spinnerbait that jumped and freed itself within seconds of being hooked. The Impaler had many follows on an assortment of different lures but could get none of them to strike. By 9am it was unbearably hot and humid so we found some shade to sit in while we ate an early lunch.

126093.jpg

I explained the details of my camera mount to the Shipper while he was parked beside me with his Sportspal. I wanted to continue fishing the same shallow area while the boys went to deeper water to try their luck. Before they got far I had another musky on the same bucktail.

126166.jpg

This one was even smaller at 25" but fought like a trooper. The Impaler has the big zoom on his digital so he took this pic from a fair distance away. We continued throwing baits until 12noon when we packed it in and called it a day. I felt I had a good opener getting two, even if they were tiny. The boys weren't as happy and proclaimed that Sturgeon lake sucks. Next time they want to go to Pigeon or Buckhorn. Missed brother Joonmoon this opener since he started a new job and had to work. Next time bro, and we'll get into some bigger ones.

Hope everyone had a good opener to the musky season.

Jediangler may explain the stringer thing himself but in order to get a quik shot while fishing alone in the Yak, you must first put a leash on the toothy critter whilst you prepare the quik release photo bracket and set the timer on the camera....or if you try to hold the fish in your lap you will lose something of value....like your camera...lol. The fish does remain in the water the whole time and is gently released right after a quik shot. No Musky were harmed when handling them this way and no digits were lost and no cameras went swimming either....lol. (happened before...the camera that is). If a larger fish is landed then this is the easiest way to deal with them then releasing them unharmed afterwards.

Good job Bro, sure wish I could have joined yas but someone had to make rubber, since the Impaler wasn't there to do it...lol. Soon we will get out and giver a shot.

Jediangler may explain the stringer thing himself but in order to get a quik shot while fishing alone in the Yak, you must first put a leash on the toothy critter whilst you prepare the quik release photo bracket and set the timer on the camera....or if you try to hold the fish in your lap you will lose something of value....like your camera...lol. The fish does remain in the water the whole time and is gently released right after a quik shot. No Musky were harmed when handling them this way and no digits were lost and no cameras went swimming either....lol. (happened before...the camera that is). If a larger fish is landed then this is the easiest way to deal with them then releasing them unharmed afterwards.

Good job Bro, sure wish I could have joined yas but someone had to make rubber, since the Impaler wasn't there to do it...lol. Soon we will get out and giver a shot.

Thanks for that clarification. One needs to be careful when doing that sort of thing with an undersized fished because if the MNR saw that they might consider that to be possessing an undersized fish & give you a ticket.

Great job out there!!! Seeing all these muskie reports is making chomp at the bit to get out there!!! Anyone know any good shore spots for them??? LOL. Awesome pics!

Oh great, now Cliff and Bly are going to start musky fishing, we're all doomed :rolleyes::lol: