It's always jig season

Roy

Well, for most people anyway. Around this time of the year I start to crank them out for the soft water season and for friends who use them. It'd be nice to get tying tips from people who make their own. I buy the best materials/components I can find. I pour my own lead, paint the heads, choose and tie appropriate bucktail, seal everything with epoxy and all is well. :) I use Gamakatsu 604's for the models shown in the pic. They work really well. I make the tails a lot thinner than I used to and it makes an enormous difference. Let's hear how you guys do yours.

006.jpg

Look great Roy. I've learnt, as well, that there is such a thing as too much bucktail on the jig. I like to glue the threads twice when tying.

Sorry, no pics for now, this old loaner can't post up pics, too outdated for photobucket or my camera program.

Edited by bigugli

Funny you mention you glue after every wrap,I started tying in 1975 up until 2 year ago I never glued a jig,now after I finish tying a jig I add head cement.I wholesale to several stores,and sell to a lot of fishermen in the area.

Edited by gaspumper

Funny you mention you glue after every wrap,I started tying in 1975 up until 2 year ago I never glued a jig,now after I finish tying a jig I add head cement.I wholesale to several stores,and sell to a lot of fishermen in the area.

You're not the only person I heard that does not glue their strands.

Nice looking bucktails there Roy that is all we ever used for walleye fishing the many lakes on Parc de La Verandrye when I was a young lad it has been a while since I have jigged with bucktails now it is jigs with twister tails or with some form of artificial bait.

Cheers Mitch...

I make the tails a lot thinner than I used to and it makes an enormous difference.

Hey Roy, just curious...why are thinned out tails on bucktails more effective? Seems counter-intuitive to me. I just ordered some online, since quality jigs are rare in stores around my neck of the woods. I've never used them before, it's been all plastic up till now. I'm pretty excited to try them out this season. BTW, your jigs look mighty fine.

Hey Roy, just curious...why are thinned out tails on bucktails more effective? Seems counter-intuitive to me. I just ordered some online, since quality jigs are rare in stores around my neck of the woods. I've never used them before, it's been all plastic up till now. I'm pretty excited to try them out this season. BTW, your jigs look mighty fine.

Thinner hair allows more hair movement, and pulsing when jiggin, or with any movement ie wind induced current etc, as its not all bulked up, it will also allow for a quicker penetration into the weeds, on the fall, as theres less resistance with less hair, which can be a benefit, or not depending if you want a slower fall, or a faster fall, i tie both for active fish i want a fast fall, and for neutral or inactive fish a slower fall my 2 cents for what its worth

My first impression was they sure look well made, the second was that sure looks to be many jigs. I was going to ask do you guys sell them or do you guys loose a lot? And my question was answered by gaspumper. Do you sell them Roy? No I don't work for the IRS. When we fished near north and the Ottawa we made our own and poured plastics as well. Other than a Tube I haven't used either plastic or Marabou since moving to Erie. That's a lie, I haven't used other jigs since I find certain tubes out fishes other jigs 10 to 1.

Roy I bought the standard molds at a great price south of Niagara Falls NY. They were of better quality of those I bought up here. No imperfections and the molds seemed to last forever. It was an advantage to have a massive Tool and Die shop at the plant and an oldtimer there loved fishing and made me all the molds for my plastic Beetle Spinner Shads, twister tails and worms. I had him mold a spot in the grub heads and worms to take a small piece of Alka Seltzer. I wonder if anyone still uses Alka Setzer or Brioski (sic) in their Tubes or plastics?

Edited by Old Ironmaker