Superstition

LostAnotherOne

Catching a fish on the first cast is a bad omen.. Always screws up the rest of my day (Unless I'm steelheading)

Ha, I agree with this, BillM. I always say it's like when you're golfing and you smoke your first drive right down the middle - rest of the round will be a disaster!

I have a lucky lure that has caught me more fish over the years than everything else combined. It's 'retired' now ... I couldn't stand losing it.

But it is always in my tackle bag ... in a jewelry box like a wedding ring would come in.

I feel naked if the boat if that lure isn't with me.

I have a feeling that one day the fishing will be so horrible that I'm driven to tie it on ..... and it will catch the biggest fish of my life.

Ha, I agree with this, BillM. I always say it's like when you're golfing and you smoke your first drive right down the middle - rest of the round will be a disaster!

Nonsense lol. Im the opposite. A good first drive and I play good all round.

Same goes for a good first put. Thats why i always hit the practise green for 15 minutes before a round. A few chips and flops, some puts. Easily saves 5-8 shots off each round

I still suck at golf though. I average about 92 lol. Never bothered to figure out my handicap, always just replied with "very handicap" when asked haha

ALWAYS DIP THE NET!!! ALWAYS!!!

S.

NEVER EVER let the net touch water until it is netting a fish.... The only thing worse than christening an empty net is if some idiot has a banana with 100yds of me while fishing. People have walked home when I am driving and they pull out the yellow kiss of death for success on a fishing trip LOL.

My life seems sooooooo dull not having all these superstitions to worry about before I head out for a day of fishing :lol:

Yip, more time for casting

When I lay tobacco its not actually a superstition. Its an aboriginal offering to the creator.

I just believe its an honourable thing to do.

If your gonna take, you gotta give back

Edited by manitoubass2

I would like to know where the banana superstition evolved from.... I have been hearing this for years here... Does anyone know the history behind it?

The banana curse is just one of many old sailor's superstitions.

Others would be opening a can upside down.

Leaving a knife stuck in wood.

Making a glass sing.

Never give a toast with water. Not even to the Queen.

The banana curse is just one of many old sailor's superstitions.

Others would be opening a can upside down.

Leaving a knife stuck in wood.

Making a glass sing.

Never give a toast with water. Not even to the Queen.

Two that I got from my father and have always observed - not strictly for fishing, just all purpose superstitions - don't put new shoes on a table and never throw your hat on a bed. Have no idea the origin or rationale for these, but I have found myself following them without even realizing it sometimes.