Ice hut/trailer?

DanD

Hey Everyone.

I would like some suggestions on this build I’m doing?

I found this light duty trailer frame at Harbor Freight, last weekend. At $367.00 I couldn’t pass it up; it’s a 4X8 tilting platform frame, rated carrying weight of 1720Lbs. What I wanted it for was a snowmobile trailer; but now that I have the frame assembled, I’m thinking a fish hut/trailer?

Trailer 001.jpg

Here’s what I want to do and I would like you people to tell me what I might be missing? The one thing I already know is its height at 21 inches from the ground (ice) to the trailer decking; is high for a fish hut.

Do you think that I would be just asking to loose fish, pulling them up that far out of the water, before getting them inside the hut? Perch or crappy wouldn’t be any big deal; but something larger, might prove to be an issue?

The dimensions of the hut will be 7’X10’. The deck will be 5/8 tongue & groove plywood. Walls and roof will be 2X2 on center, with 3/8 plywood sheeting. A double door with an opening of 4’; one will be for use as entry into the hut while fishing and then both open to load and unload the snowmobile. One of my customers has a spray foam business; that’s willing to spray the hut for me in exchange for some vehicle repairs; so insulation is looked after. I’ve found two used RV style louver operating windows for light and ventilation.

Last thing is a set of skis that I might need, if I find the wheels are no good in the snow? The idea I have for them is two 5’ sections of an old extension ladder I have. Rivet aluminum sheeting to the foot crossers, between the side rails. Cut notches and weld the side rails to give me a 30 degree upward angle at each end to form a ski? A ratchet strap to fasten the ski to the wheels. Would a 14” wide X 5’ long ski be too much resistance for pulling compared to a narrower ski? Or would a narrower ski not hold the hut/trailer on top of the snow?

There’s no feelings here to hurt guys tell me what you think?

Dan.

I would look into drop down axle systems. They are what is used on the commercial ice houses on wheels.

The system drops the hut down closer to the ice when you get to your spot.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=drop%20down%20ice%20hut%20axle

The skis might work but will lift you even higher. ;)

I would use corregated sheet metal attached you your 2x2 frame to save on weight. For both the walls and roof. Can still be insulated with foam. And is fireproof should you add a wood stove.... Keep the foam away from the opening in the roof of course. I would also add vents at both gable ends.

You could get away with 1/2" ply to save on weight adding reinforcement to the frame where needed.

As for the height? I wonder if you could set up a locking pin system to drop the springs. Lowering it's overall height...

Or just pull the wheels if you plan this to be a permanently placed hut... Place the trailer on blocking and wrap the hubs.... When you want to move it jack it up and put the wheels back in place.

Just a couple of quick thoughts that have popped into mind....

G

I don't think being almost 2 feet off the ice will work out very well. The wind and snow will be blowing under your hut too.

Another option would be having the trailer as a flat bed to carry an ultra light, custom made hut with no floor. Drive to your spot, pull the hut off the trailer, put it back on the trailer at the end of the day.

Edited by chris.brock

Fish house supply has some great ideas. I also say that it will be too high off the ice. Perhaps sonotube from your floor to the ice?? I saw a drop down axle on 1 of the boards - very simplified. The hub was on a steel plate "cam", with a pipe lever the owner was able to pivot the wheels to an upright position so the hut sat on the ice. Sorry I don't have a pic or link. This unit might not be sturdy enough for trailering down the highway, but OK on the ice at slower speeds. PM me if you wish. I could sketch it, take a pic of the sketch & send it to you. Another idea for you. To keep cold air from entering your hut holes - cut the bottom out of a 5 gal pail & place it in the hole. If your trailer/hut is going to be up high would a longer pail inserted in the floor to reach the ice - would that work? Keep us posted as you build. I love home builds.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys.

Drifter

I've seen those dropdown axles before and they would be ideal for this; but this trailer frame is light duty (remember its a $400.00 trailer frame) and I don't think the frame rails could handle the stress of these axles; not without twisting it like a pretzel. That Idea will have to wait for the next build when I start from scratch.

glen

It would be nice to go 12' but I don't think this frame could handle it? Not without welding extension supports to the rear and then re-enforcing the side rails from the rear to up past the axle. That's more work than what this frame is worth. As for the height, I'll have to live with that and find my gaff. LOL

Gerritt

I like the idea of the sheet metal; but haven't found a cheap source for the material? I'll ask the guy at the RV wrecking yard, if he has anything that would work?

chris

I'm with you on the height thing and if turns out that bad; I'll sell the trailer and build something different for next season. I was going to do that last summer but the time just flew away?

Not a bad idea of a light hut to pull on and off the trailer; but it defeats the purpose I had in mind. I want to be able to crank up my lines, start the sled and move to a different location. I still have my 6 man pop up and I must be getting lazy; because once it's set up; the idea of breaking it down to move just doesn't appeal to me.

wormdunker

Thanks for the offer of the sketches; but like I've said I'm stuck with the height for this year; good or bad?

Is all sonotube cardboard or is there plastic; cardboard would likely turn into mush after a couple of uses?

Thanks again guys.

I'll update this as I go along.

Dan.

Dan - My son in law has that exact trailer. You're absolutely right about the frame being rather light duty. I welded a couple cross braces of 1" x 1" x 1/8" th steel angle. Made a big difference to strengthen it. Sonotube does have a heavy wax coating on the inside. I would think you get a full season out of it. If you leave sonotube out in the pouring rain it will soften up. For your application I would use it. Also keeps the cold air/wind from entering your "palace"! I do like your idea as I have thought of this many times, cause I want to be portable - quick, easy moves! Even with my flip over - to me it's cumbersome & time consuming to move.

If I had a choice to keep the height I'd just take a measurement and bend up a piece of metal the height of the trailer off the ground with flanges just to pop into the hole and keep the air out, you could probably have one made up for $20 or under

I'm thinking 10" or 12" stovepipe? My auger is an 8 inch, so no worries about the pipe going through the ice hole. Keep the trailer level with stabilizer jacks on both rear corners and one on the tongue. Then the pipes should always be the proper length, once cut and thin enough metal to cut through the snow down to the ice surface?

Dan.

They do make plastic sonotubes. Infact they are quite popular... They have a slight taper but that should not be of concern for your application... And they remain flexible in the cold...(meaning they won't crack at -20) available at most major building suppliers

G

I was thinking along the lines of Brians idea too.

I saw a guy on simcoe with skis on his ssnowmobile trailer, but the wheels went thru the wheels just enough to make contact with the road as well. Pretty slick idea, and worked like a charm.

S.

Both great Ideas and something I do not have too make a commitment to now; both could be added at the end of the build. I'll have to wait till the weekend, when I'm closed, before I can get back on this project; the shop is filled with customer's vehicles and I need to get them done before I can play. My biggest problem now for this weekend is, what should I do; build the trailer or go fishing???

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made anywhere near the progress I wanted too on the trailer; not complaining but work got in the way of playing.

Got the deck on and that's about it, other than some temporary things (A front vertical as a stone guard); so I can use it as my Ski doo trailer for now.

Deck 002.jpg

Sled on Trailer 003.jpg

7'X10'x 3/4" plywood with a 2X4 skirt around the underside of the plywood. There will be metal braces from the trailer frame to the edge of the plywood to support the 18" overhang on both sides and the rear.

Here's what I'm thinking for a floor plan.

Graf-page-001.JPG

I'll be using the framework from a 20'X10' portable tarp garage, for the wall studs and roof joists. A buddy has donated it and I'll modify the piping to fit the deck. Still not sure what I'm going to skin it with; but I've been offered 22 gauge galvanized sheet metal at a very good price?

I'll update as I go along.

Dan.

Dan, for the walls, floor and roof look at the material they make Sunroom walls of. You can get R-22 in a 3.75" wall thickness and they are very, very light weight. Google Temo Sunrooms and see if there is a dealer near you to source the materials. We did have a Temo dealership 10 years ago and one of the installers made a ice hut with the product. With the wall system and the aluminum connectors a 6X8 foot weighted almost nothing. Heating it was a breeze. The system is hurricane rated. I know Leisure Living out of Hamilton/Burlington is still in the business and they also had a Temo dealership up to 5 years ago.

I'll check into it; trying to do the project on the cheap?

Once I get to the point of insulation, I think I may go with spray insulation; if my customer who owns a business of, comes through for me?

If not I'll stuff in the cheapest styrofoam board that I can find in between the suds and then line the inside with Reflectix.

I can get 4'X10' rolls of the stuff from another customer of mine at a fairly decent price.

21478.BP48010_4.jpg

Dan.

I had a chance on Friday to make up a pair of skies for the trailer. Instead of the 5' ski length, I went with 9' thinking that I can always cut it shorter if need be.

Saturday morning we get to the lake, unload the snowmobile, connect the trailer to the snowmobile; then added the skies. Toss all our gear on the trailer/sled and the two guys that were with me jumped on. With fingers crossed I hit the throttle, had to look back thinking it had become unhooked; nope it just pulled that easy.

After about a 1/4 mile, I stopped to ask the guys how the ride was? They said it was nice and smooth; that they could feel the trailer's suspension was doing its job and that they didn't even have to hang on.

I was happy that it worked as well as it did; wasn't sure whether the ladder runs would hold up; they did with only a few dents in the sheeting, between the rails.

image5.jpeg

Sled1.jpeg

The fishing itself was slow; like it's been all winter on Long Point Bay; only 2 perch for our efforts; but it was a good day and no equipment got broke.

Dan.