Driving on lake simcoe

northernpike56

a guy went through on simcoe just last week, found a spot that was only 1.5" thick, 10ft to the left or right was 12-15"

heres the pictures!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204824820993792&set=pcb.10204824822713835&type=1&theater

don't think that was Simcoe's Cooks Bay...having said that I don't think taking a vehicle on the ice is ever a good idea...a number of things can happen most of them bad!

don't think that was Simcoe's Cooks Bay...having said that I don't think taking a vehicle on the ice is ever a good idea...a number of things can happen most of them bad!

it was indeed cooks bay at Tonka, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007829447925&fref=nf scroll down a bit to the Feb 3rd post about this

This is more of a notification to those who ice fish than a status update. Went out to Tonka last night, Cooks bay, a solid 15-16 inches of ice, drove out but didn't drive home. SUV found a weak spot, ice was about an inch and a half thick.10 feet to the left 12", 10 feet to the right and in front of me the same, 11-12". If you look at the pictures you can see tire marks going right over it. Adrenaline had to be at an all time high. Front end broke through on passenger side and I gunned it, wedged the front end on some ice, airbags deployed, window wasn't going down, sunroof wouldn't open tried to punch threw it but it wasn't breaking, got the driver window down enough to get my hands in and I yanked it down, threw my dog out and climbed onto the ice, ice was up to the door handles by then. Made it out with only a couple of scratches on my face and bruised knuckles. Cliche to say no ice is safe ice, but it's true. Be safe out there. Middle of the lake, no pressure ridge, nothing to indicate it would be a problem. It was about 12 feet deep and took about a minute to hit bottom. Been driving on the ice since I could, always thought "could never happen to me, I'm careful. Maybe I should've just walked out.

Edited by FloatnFly

Also where is the best access spot to drive out (or walk out) on cooks bay from the Gilford side?

Thanks a lot,

Matt.

Hey Matt, I was out last weekend and went out at Cook's, The group of guys I was with went out from Gilford road where all the up operators are set up. There were between 20-30 there were truck, suvs and even cars parked on the ice near shore, but go at your own risk.

Another point you can access Cook's from Gilford is at the end of HWY 89, you can unload you gear right near the water, other wise it could be a long walk from where you would park along the side of the road on 89

hope that helped

LOL

Have a nice lugging walking sweating out of breath drop to your knees stroll Brian.

Thats what it,s like out there today.

Sorry to say,it will be the same Sunday and Monday.

HAPPY PERCHING

Edited by Brian B

I used to take my corolla out to long shoal all the time when I lived up there. The worst is when you hit a slush field . I never got stuck. But came damn close a few times. It's nice on real cold days sitting in the car with the heat on jig'n out the window :)

Edited by Freshtrax

Tyler,were you able to park on the ice there at the end of the rd ?

No Brian, had to park up the road and walk out. One truck was parked on the shoreline. Lake joe tomorrow then bbp tues I think

Edited by TDunn