illegal traps (nf)

manitoubass2

Well isnt that nice, my kids take the dog for a walk on the backside of our property?.

Im outside feeding my other husky while all the sudden my son comes running full tilt in tears.

So turns out my dog get her foot clamped in a trap. Not to sound insensitive but thankfully it wasnt one of my kids.

I follow his lead and get my poor dog out. Luckily shes not hurt to bad. Pretty pissed off but ok.

Sure enough the kids show me multiple traps and snares, all on our property.

Now im really upset about all this, but just to add to it, its on our friggen property so if anyone else found these it would appear to be me that had set them!

What in the heck is with some people?

Seriously, setting traps on a families property that has kids???

I mean illegal is illegal either way but wow!

Cant wait to see what the MNR has to say about this

Hopefully it's just someone that doesn't know the boundary and put them on your place by mistake. Many guys run trap lines for mink, marten, etc this time of year.

In our case it was Ducks Unlimited trapping beaver by putting the leg trap just into the water off shore in the controlled swamp. Now if they had of told use they'd done so.. on our property... then Leah wouldn't have taken him down to the dam for a swim.

Edited by irishfield

Well, first of all I am glad to hear that your dog is ok and that no one got hurt. Since there doesn't seem to be any damage to your dog's leg/paw it sounds like it might have been a Modified leg hold trap. Unlike the old style they are now available with offset jaws, or lamination, or both, which decrease pressure on the animals' legs.

Traps are also available with a padded jaw, which has rubber inserts inside the jaws to reduce animal injuries It sounds like the one your dog found was set for coyote or fox, was there any bait hanging above it?

Do not try to confront the person that set those traps or try to remove them yourself, you have no idea who or what you could be dealing with, simply call MNR or the police and let them deal with it! If nothing else any existing traps will be removed safely and the trapper informed that he/she is tresspassing.

That really sucks.

I would be putting out a trail cam & catch them in the act.

I also was going to suggest a trail cam to see who they are but I would also collect all the traps and secure them. When the those who set them can't find them they will be milling all around that area and your trail cam will definitely have many pics of them or better yet a video with sound as MANY cameras now do.

A return of the traps is your option, but if it was me I would have them pay a fine to me for trespassing and for the pain your family dog went through. If they don't like those conditions, then call the police and turn the traps over to them so they can handle the matter.

I also was going to suggest a trail cam to see who they are but I would also collect all the traps and secure them. When the those who set them can't find them they will be milling all around that area and your trail cam will definitely have many pics of them or better yet a video with sound as MANY cameras now do.

A return of the traps is your option, but if it was me I would have them pay a fine to me for trespassing and for the pain your family dog went through. If they don't like those conditions, then call the police and turn the traps over to them so they can handle the matter.

Might also be a good way to loose a trail cam or get yourself hurt! What happens if who ever set those traps comes along while you are removing them? What happens if you miss one or two and your dog or one of the kids does get hurt? IMHO let the MNR and/or the police handle it, they will insure that the traps get removed safely and that the person who set them is dealt with accordingly. It's a much safer solution!

A proper set up of a trail cam several feet up a tree should not be noticed and should always be locked down as all mine are. Never lost one YET.

And when it comes to protecting MY land, MY family and MY dog I don't coward down and "hope" someone else will take care of it.

But everyone is different.

A proper set up of a trail cam several feet up a tree should not be noticed and should always be locked down as all mine are. Never lost one YET.

And when it comes to protecting MY land, MY family and MY dog I don't coward down and "hope" someone else will take care of it.

But everyone is different.

Well, I am anything but a coward but old age and experience has taught me that confrontation isn't always the best solution especially if this individual is already aware that he/she is trespassing and involved in what could be illegal activity.

As for the trail cam; well someone that is experienced enough to be trapping has probably spent plenty of time in the bush and it would take one VERY well placed trail cam for them not to spot it. High up in a tree and well secured won't stop a .22 from destroying anything that might be on it.

But you are right, each to their own.

An experienced trapper always carries a gun and a knife with them, especially for coyotes. if you want to confront someone with weapons, go for it. traps will sometimes have identification markings on them that the mnr will be able to track the trapper down, its happened to a friend of mine. call the mnr and local police, have them come out that day! put up large signs that say private property, no trespassing. not sure how much land you have, but it could be as simple as someone not realizing that they are trapping on your property.

I tend agree with Big Cliff. If someone is illegally trapping, they aren't probably too worried about a good tongue lashing from a home owner. If you really think you are bullet and knife proof then by all means be sure and feed your ego by confronting them.... Of course you might just wind up doing your family more long term harm than good, it things get ugly. Criminals have a lot less to lose than an honest home owner.

Also didn't you just move there Manitou? Maybe the trapper had an agreement with the previous owner? I know when my grandfather trapped he went EVERY YEAR to all the landowners and made sure in writing it was still OK to keep trapping.... Maybe this trapper didn't know the property was sold and it is an honest mistake. BTW if the rivers on your property are navigable he might think he has a right to trap the river bed.

The other thing is, I wouldn't expect the police or the MNR for that matter to have the expertise to find each and every trap without the trappers co-operation... Just because they have a badge it won't necessarily make them an expert on removing a trap line. So at some point it would be best if the trapper does help them with the removal.

I'd throw the book at em. I'd be so angry that they didn't post signs or talk to nearby property owners.

There is a certian responsibility with hunting, fishing, trapping etc and they clearly avoided it.

It may be an 'honest mistake'. But you have a level of responsibility when you are doing anything that could cause harm to people or property.

I'm so glad no one or your dog were seriously hurt.