refilling 1 Lb propane tank

icefisherman

Holy crap you guys will go threw alot.

Whats the price for 1lbers over der?

Last I picked up was 3 for 10 (just like those wacky smokes used to be).

Also do you guys run your friggen heaters all day??? One is gonna enough for a day for me??????

I'd rather spend 3.33 per and be safe/legal

$5.49 per 1lb tank at Canadian Tire here...

Or $1 to refill...

You save $4.49 per refill...

I use 1-2lbs a day depending on how long I'm out... So that's $4.49-$8.98 a day in savings... That adds up...

If my extremities get cold they shut down on me... I've had days my hands couldn't hold my truck keys to start it... I'll even slur my words when my face gets cold... So I almost exclusively fish in a hut with the heater on high...

Been doing it for years. Bought my fill valve in the US. Be sensible, don't fill near open sources of flame, don't fill inside, wear gloves and safety glasses and pay attention to what your doing. If you follow that advice, your very unlikely to be a statistic.

X2. Before we tried it for the first time we weighed a brand new 1Lbr and weighed every one we re-filled. All but one were within the weight of the factory filled tank. I have a brand new adapter but I'm hangin on to it. Just checked and EBAY has 3 pages of listings of availability. Good luck.

$5.49 per 1lb tank at Canadian Tire here...

Or $1 to refill...

You save $4.49 per refill...

I use 1-2lbs a day depending on how long I'm out... So that's $4.49-$8.98 a day in savings... That adds up...

If my extremities get cold they shut down on me... I've had days my hands couldn't hold my truck keys to start it... I'll even slur my words when my face gets cold... So I almost exclusively fish in a hut with the heater on high...

Wow that's pretty expensive! Maybe prices went up here too I'll check today.

If the weather is that hard on ya I don't blame you. I guess we all have our limits (age/health etc)

No... you'd just be wasting propane in the hose (and the end for the 1 on a hose is male, not female). Adapter is a 2" long brass fitting.. screws into the 20 lb tank and the other end the 1 lb screws into it. So you fill, close the big tank valve and then unscrew the 1 lb

You can buy it on Amazon.ca "ships from Ontario".. .lol $39.50 + 6.78 shipping. Twice what it's worth... and you can probably find it on ebay for 1/2 that with shipping Emil.

Cheapest I just found 1 lb tanks was 2 for $7.00 at TSC store. So $3.50 each - $1.20 max per fill using the adapter = $2.30 savings on every tank. Pays for itself pretty quick... and you can use it for your soldering torch tanks, etc as well. The most convenient part of the adapter, there is generally a BBQ within striking distance for the 20lb tank no matter where you are. A store with 1 pounders, on a -30C day, not so much!

Bud, I dont care if you all refill.

Im still looking for a 5 pd at a decent price,then will have it filled at Costco.

Start leaving hints to your family that you want one. It's bound to show up for father's day...your birthday...or next Christmas.

If my name ever changes to Nancy.... :angel: ..... and I need a heater...I'm with you Brian. The kids at Costco can fill my 5LBr.

Start leaving hints to your family that you want one. It's bound to show up for father's day...your birthday...or next Christmas.

If my name ever changes to Nancy.... :angel: ..... and I need a heater...I'm with you Brian. The kids at Costco can fill my 5LBr.

:tease:

Ya Dave.

I went to my local one. Know the owners well. They tried to get me one. They are refurb. To get one would be in April,,,,,MAYBE.

I will try to get that 11 pd at ctc. I have the smitty to drag my stuff out (Im a walker) so it shouldnt add to much weight, as it slides very easily.

Irishfield, no, I don't wear gloves with my BBQ, but it is natural gas and I never unplug the hose. As for the forklifts, they actually run the liquid propane through the valve into the carberator somewhere, maybe before to allow the liquid to expand into a gas first? Either way, there is a high likelihood of leaking liquid propane.

I understand how it works... you shut off the valve on either before you disconnect the hose making it a non-event. That is unless a stuck check valve on the fork truck lets the hose blow back the bit of pressure left in it, hense the gloves at work in case that 0.000002% chance happens. As noted I do have fork trucks, 4 of them to be exact in the plant that are all electric now... except I did keep one propane truck and it's in my hangar at home to unload trucks.

Refilling the one pounders.. as stated before. The adapter is 2" long. The 20 lb tank valve gets opened to fill and then closed again to stop the fill. Then unscrew the 1 lb tank holding the bottom of the tank. There may be a little squirt... 10" away from your hand at the top of the tank. None issue. While you're still holding the bottom of the tank...check for leaks, if in the rare event the tank is leaking or spitting propane for some reason, toss it to one side. You are filling outside after all, well or in my porch.

We seem to beat this horse every winter... and like all the others you either are comfortable doing this, or you are not. It's your wallet (and landfill).

Edited by irishfield