cooking thread...

Im on a streak of tasty and effective(havent been feeling well lately)

Remember OI im cooking for 9 everynight. Sometimes ya gotta slow down and chill out lol.

Time to make a big pot of chicken stew with dumplings then, if that don't cure what ails you not much else will :dunno:

OK, I am going to share this one with you but I haven't shared it with many others and even when I do you might be missing one of the key ingredients:

Do you like French Onion Soup? Well here is a recipe that I use and so far no one has complained and many have asked for it again. There is a bit of cheating involved and when I can, I make my own beef broth from scratch so here goes!

This will serve about 6 but the recipe doubles or tripples perfectly:

6 Tbsp butter

2 1/2 lbs (about 6) cooking onions peeled and sliced nice and thin

1 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 Tsp pepper

8 cups beef broth (now here is where I cheat sometimes, I use the bottled or cubed concentrate to make my stock but it works well)

2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (that stuff is expensive so I sometimes use a mixture of Swiss and mozarrela 50/50) it works just as well.

You will also want about 4 to 5 cups of crutons, I make my own but store bought ones work too.

An lastly, here is the one thing that you might have trouble finding but that makes mine that extra special: 1/4 cup of dehydrated powdered puff ball mushroom. (it is good without it but......)

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and sugar and saute over medium/low heat just until golden brown stiring often.

Mix the flour salt, and pepper and sprinkle it over the onions stirring and cooking for about 5 minutes.

Now, put your beef stock in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Add the contents of your frying pan and the 1/4 cup of dehydrated puff ball. bring it to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Devide into 6 bowls, add the crutons, and the cheese evenly between the six bowls.

Broil until the cheese just starts to brown and melt.

If you bring me puff balls (must be firm and pure white inside) in the fall I will dehydrate them and split the bounty, (I can never get too many) if you come to my house I will give you 1/4 cup if I have it to spare.

As for the cheese

The best.

http://www.saputo.ca/

I can remember being a busboy when I was 15 at a great Italian resturant in Brampton. I was also in charge of making the garlic bread and prochetta for the customers. The cheese was thinly SLICED, not shredded.

To this day, I still use the same recipe I was taught back then. Many have asked for the prochetta mix, but I just cant give it away.

Edited by Brian B

Some of the meals I've been eating, I love eating.

First off the brisket I smoked was delish! Had it many ways over several days starting with this.

Warm home smoked brisket over a couple thick slices of smoked gouda cheese, some creamy coleslaw, vine ripened tomato slices, a touch of horse radish on a lightly toasted bun.....YUM!

LT3X5yC.jpg

The next evening, smoked brisket steamed to warm it through topped with horseradish, buttery baked potato with sour cream and tossed salad.

o4AQZ1n.jpg

Then the next evening. A a great grilled sandwich.....

Slice onions
Slice fresh Calabrese bread and butter it
Saute onions lightly
Cut thick slabs of smoked gouda and place on bread
Place hot onions on the smoked gouda
Place smoked brisket on onions add top piece of buttered bread
Place in hot pan till golden brown on both sides then serve with coleslaw

xP4ZlcV.jpg

36bw84t.jpg

pmzaWVG.jpg

bYP6OPM.jpg

E0fPQuL.jpg

There were a few more brisket meals but I ended up wanting something else so portions were frozen and I moved on.

Recently I was given a wild turkey and spent another day (or three) cooking.

On the back burner a large Cottage Roll with all the trimmings for dinner.

Up front a gallon of brine that will soon have a 20lb wild turkey bathing in it until it meets the smoker tomorrow afternoon.

3mzfmoZ.jpg

After brining over night it was allowed to res on the counter for 90 minutes then the wild turkey is about to meet the smoker. Breast down with several strips of thick sliced bacon pinned over top and the rest of the 1lb of bacon shoved into the cavity I anxiously await dinner. Smoking will be done at 325* using an 80/20 mix of Apple and Hickory chips until the bird is ready.

EXvsqtn.jpg

Three hours later.....

RAxkYT6.jpg

After covered resting/cooling it was placed in he fridge over night. The next morning it met my old school meat slicer.

Set for a 1/4" thick all the white meat was ready for what ever I desired (way tasty, way moist).

O07aEWR.jpg

rdgNQ5S.jpg

At his point no pictures but the first meal was a great big Smoked Turkey Club House sandwich using smoked Gouda, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, the cavity stuffed bacon and of course wild turkey with a side of Chef Salad...... *drool* Ended up eating the same meal again at midnight that day..... *drool*

Oh and the boiled Cottage Roll dinner was stellar, ate it for 3 nights and froze 2 portions ( somebody burp me .... ;) )

Oh I forgot. Somewhere in there before the turkey was also my first home made Corned Beef, it was also awesome!

End thread lol

I was asking yesterday for tou to post the pics spiel, glad you did

All of that looks amazing!

Thanks Bud.

But I want this thread to go on (as I know you do). The inspiration and drools, well worth it. ;)

I think I'm ready to move onto a pasta diet for a while. :P

Hahaha.

Of course spiel, of course.

Im feeling a little better today, gotta beef stew going for tonight.

If all goes well its philly cheese steak night tomorrow?

I like the look of thise sandwiches man. If I had to live on one "genre" of food it would be sandwiches. Sooooo many possibilities...

And coleslaw, always... whether its on or off to the side, yum

Edited by manitoubass2

Great thread, I can't seem to get down to my summer weight because of it.

That is a feast Speil not a meal. Hey Speil I have an idea, the Parrot Head at the end of Kohler Rd. is for sale, you should open the restaurant again. You can't make any money there but everyone around here will be happy, and fat, or fatter should I say.

Brian B, yes Sapputo sells real Mozzarella. Real mozzarella can not be shredded because it is wet and as soft as a cloud. Bufalo mozzarella isn't made from Water Buffalo in Canada I don't think, it's cows milk. I only use Bocconcini on my pizzas because that's the only real Mozzarella I can get around here until I can go to Hamilton. I think the word you are looking for is Bruscetta. All it means in Italian is toast. There are as many recipes for it than there are different types of bread. Some have tomatoes some don't. If you want garlic bread in Italy you ask for toast with garlic and olive oil, Bruscetta con l'ail et olio di oliva.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I toast thin sliced bread and when it,s done, I top it with a tomatoe salad I will call it, then lay a thin slice of cheese and put under the broil for a short time. Just enough for the cheese to melt and a tint of brown. ;)

Nice feasts there chris.

Edited by Brian B

I toast thin sliced bread and when it,s done, I top it with a tomatoe salad I will call it, then lay a thin slice of cheese and put under the broil for a short time. Just enough for the cheese to melt and a tint of brown. ;)

Nice feasts there chris.

B you are talking about bruscetta right? I have the same recipe I think. I make it way ahead of time so it marinates.

Tomatoes diced, garlic and onion, parsley, or basil, sal t pepper and oregano (touch) olive oil and a splash of vinegar mix and refrigerate when this goes on the bread juices soak into the bread and heaven.

If you guys have mint, when you make mashed potatoes don't mash them. Cut into bite size chunks. Add salt pepper olive oil abit of red wine vinegar (I make my own so it's readily available) and then add lots of fresh mint, just tear the leaves.

It's to die for. I three sonlinlaws that can't get enough of it.

Right now mint is at its best. You can freeze it on a cookie sheet for the winter. last year I froze it in ice cubes not that good when it thaws out :(

B you are talking about bruscetta right? I have the same recipe I think. I make it way ahead of time so it marinates.

Tomatoes diced, garlic and onion, parsley, or basil, sal t pepper and oregano (touch) olive oil and a splash of vinegar mix and refrigerate when this goes on the bread juices soak into the bread and heaven.

LOL

The owners of the establishment, lived in Woodbridge at the time and I believe one still.

Yes, you would be correct. bruscetta. Made with only fresh. The longer it sits, OMG. MOTO BENI.

Edited by Brian B

LOL

The owners of the establishment, lived in Woodbridge at the time and I believe one still.

Yes, you would be correct. bruscetta. Made with only fresh. The longer it sits, OMG. MOTO BENI.

Yup we're on the same page! I grow everything that is needed, it tastes even better, Molto bene yes.