cooking thread...

E mail me a bowl of that stuff. Has anyone had Poor Mans Lobster using Pike? I've had it, it wasn't Lobster but it was good. I wasn't there when they made it. Boiled the Pike in copious amounts of Sea Salt then those cubes are drained dried then dipped in melted butter. How does it not fall apart boiling that long?

edit: tell your story, you have many friends here that care and would want to know.

Ill get around to it when im not in crazy amounts of pain.

Bedtime now

Got to love the Christmas season. The sweet aromas of breads, candies and cookies as they're being baked. Put up a couple of mounds of shortbreads and butterscotch snaps tonight. The exact same cookies my Gram and my mother always made. Good recipes always stand the test of time.

Sorry for the lack of pics. Me and p--bucket aren't getting along too well.

Got to love the Christmas season. The sweet aromas of breads, candies and cookies as they're being baked. Put up a couple of mounds of shortbreads and butterscotch snaps tonight. The exact same cookies my Gram and my mother always made. Good recipes always stand the test of time.

Sorry for the lack of pics. Me and p--bucket aren't getting along too well.

Christmas baking here today too Bruce. Snickerdoodles cookies, Shortbread cookies and chocolate xmas bark. Watching the granddaughter this weekend so no Rum and Nog for the whole christmas routine....so that will have to wait until next weekend.

I miss all the real deal cookies and cakes Mom made during Christmas. I bake 2 things, Pizza and Biscuits out of the package from the Dollar Store. My favorites were Rum Balls. They were meat ball size short bread cookies with walnuts in them and covered in white powder sugar.

We went to a Pot Luck Christmas party tonight and since T was working she asked me to make a dish. My second attempt at Mac and Cheese ala Giovani went fast.

I used Rotini pasta, curly cues.

My cheese sauce was 1 can of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup with 2 cans of 1/2 and 1/2.

Added a whack of good Old Canadian Cheddar from a local maker in Simcoe On.

Then I added a ball of Mottzarella cheese.

Then about 6 ozs, not positive, of Friulano cheese.

Slowly melted all these together for a thick creamy cheese sauce. Really thick so I added some milk.

In a fry pan I browned Italian bread crumbs in butter until golden brown.

Spread the crumbs on the top of the pasta and cheese sauce mixed together in a Pyrex baking pan. On top I spread some good Parmasion on that.

Put in oven for 20 minutes at 400F.

Done like dinner.

It wasn't a cheap dish. The good quality cheeses were maybe 25 bananas alone but it was a large dish with a pound of Rotini, (curly cues). Fed many so not really expensive in the long run. Someone mentioned using smoked bacon through out or on top. That got me thinking, how about some cooked strips on top or crumbled Prosciutto on top or in it?

Some Manga Cake lady made lazy Lasagna. Rather than lasagna pasta she used Rigatoni and not meticulously layered with 8 layers of pasta sheets and each and every little meatball the exact same size nor did it have 50 bucks worth of ricotta and mozzarella cheese in it or a white wine béchamel sauce. No way I was eating that mess. Ticha brought some home and I just tasted it. Man it was good I whacked it all out. I can't tell her it was any good, can I? The succo was good too. Man it was really good. No one with a surname starting with Mac can make lasagna like that and didn't spend 4 hours doing it, can they? And Rigatoni? It can't be called Lasagna, maybe baked Rigatoni, that I will give her. M an I can be a Italian cooking SNOB.

More please.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 1 month later...

← General Discussion

Ontario Fishing Community Home

»

Recipe thread for 2017

Old Ironmaker's PhotoOld Ironmaker

Today, 02:58 PM

I went back 7 pages and can't seem to find the old recipe thread started by M2B2 a few years ago. If someone does bump it please. It's good to read it and try a few.

Made what we call in the Family "Beans and Greens" which is nothing more than bean soup with greens. It takes minutes not hours if you use canned beans which isn't against the law. Dry beans are much more economical and better.

Toast some garlic, whole, crushed or sliced. Usually the rule of thumb for browning anything is hot pan, hot oil and brown whatever. Garlic is so easy to burn. I found the best way to toast garlic to a nice golden brown is cold pan, cold oil add garlic and then turn on the burner to medium and watch closely. Once browned remove it and add latter or quickly add whatever so it doesn't go beyond golden brown.

Toast 3 or 4 cloves of garlic in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (EVO)

Then add hot chili flakes to taste.

Slowly add stock, be careful pot is hot and adding too fast will cause a splash back of hot oil. Tilting the pot away from you is a good tip when adding liquid to a hot pot.

Add whatever beans you want. Dry Navy beans soaked over night is traditional, cheaper and better for you. I used 2 cans of $$ store mixed beans and a can of Navy beans for about 1.5 lts of chicken stock. Use your favorite beans, it doesn't matter. Another tip, open cans from the bottom, you get 100% of whatever is in a can of anything especially canned beans. I don't rinse them. Lots of flavour in the stuff at the bottom of a can. Some cans won't open from the bottom.

Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are done. The dry beans need time to get soft, canned are already soft.

Wash and cut up a bunch of greens. My favorite is Rapini or Swiss Chard. You can use anything like spinach including Romaine lettuce. Just remember it will cook down to about 10% of it's raw volume. Always looks way too much. Don't be afraid to use all the stalk. No reason not to. Mom says the stalks may be too bitter, I disagree but won't tell her that.

Your done.

Traditionally a piece of toasted day old bread is toasted and laid into a bowl, then ladle the soup on top. I will cook separately Pastina, Acini de Pepe (micro pipes), mini stars or elbow macaroni and put that on the bottom of the bowl, now you have a type of Pasta Fagioli. I always add to much pasta in a pot and it soaks up all the liquid, no good.

Drizzle with EVO and add grated parm or similar cheese.

Make some garlic bread or whatever type of toast.

I'll cut up leftover meat and add it towards the end. My favorite is to add cut up sausages. I will pre cook a few just for this. I added sliced pork chops we had this time. Chicken, anything really.

It should take you longer to prep than to cook unless dried beans. Fast, good, healthy and economical meal. A bonus too, 1 pot cooking.

Eat and fa cresece. (Ketchinany if you are reading, please give me a spelling lesson.)

This is a thick soup, add more stock or even water to thin it to taste. I will add water. There is enough flavor in this soup to handle it. In fact you can use water rather than stock, just simmer it longer. Many soups are started with water.

I do not recommend freezing it. Something happens to the greens and whatever it is I don't like the texture and taste once frozen.

If I told my Mom this was Beans and Greens she'd slap me, and tell me my Noni is rolling in her grave. I can't get it like Mom did and my Uncle still does so I don't try anymore and get disappointed. I need to get to New York and watch Uncle Angelo do it the way I had it as a kid.

Not doing any serious cooking today. I do however have a pork belly quartered and soaking in a brine for the past two days. Needs to sit in the brine for at least another day in the fridge before I put the pieces in the smoker. Not sure what wood I'll use yet. Have not looked in the bin to see what I've got cut. I'm hoping the bacon turns out as good as last year's.

The brine is simple: for a large 8-10lb pork belly

2 qts apple juice

2 cups water

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 lb pickling salt

1 tsp ground pepper

1 tsp chili powder ( make my own very hot version)

1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Last night it was home-cut french fries, fresh green beans, and BBQ Pork Chops with Iron Arse BBQ Sauce (thanks for that steer, smitty!) That is the BBQ sauce they sell to support the Ride for Dad charity, and it sure is good!

Doug

I always thought grilled cheese sangwitches were a slice of that plastic stuff they sell who's only relationship to real cheese is the color and never had one since I was a child. Then a couple of laid off Steelworkers in Hamilton bought a food truck and call it "Gorilla Cheese" get it gerilled cheese.. Had one at a street food fair on Ottawa Street some years ago and my interpretation of grilled cheese changed after 1 bite. Not great for the belly or heart but I now we love a good grilled cheese and soup for breakfast, lunch or supper. No fake Kraft slices ever.

They were on Dragon's Den but didn't get any money. They wanted to open a bricks and mortar place that wouldn't fly according to the Dragons because of costs and limitation of market. They never did open one.

Last night it was home-cut french fries, fresh green beans, and BBQ Pork Chops with Iron Arse BBQ Sauce (thanks for that steer, smitty!) That is the BBQ sauce they sell to support the Ride for Dad charity, and it sure is good!

Doug

Your welcome Doug. I wouldn't steer you wrong. It's the only BBQ sauce I use, it's the best. Thick, sweet and smokey.

Cheers

The other day I made meatloaf. Yah, meatloaf doesn't sound too sexy, so I bumped it up a bit;

-1 LB med ground beef

-1LB ground pork

-1LB ground sausage

-1 finely diced opnion

Mix the meat and onion just enough to combine them, don't overwork ground meats as they will go rubbery if you do. Add an egg to help bind, 1/2 a cup of ketchup, half a large can of tomato sauce, a dash of "What's this here sauce" 1/2 cup of good bread crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Again, gently combine.

Three hard boiled eggs get put into the middle of the loaf, once roughed out. As I had some Gorgonzola and Brie laying around, I crushed the Gorganzola into the meat mix and put the pieces of Brie, length wise in the loaf.

Pour the remainder of the tomato sauce over the loaf and put 1/2 pound of bacon, braided over the top. Bake in the oven to 1 1/2 hours at 375F, covered. REmove the cover for the last half an hour.

When you cut into the completed loaf, each slice will have melted Brie and a slice of hard boiled egg. Serve over noodles with Brussels sprouts, green beans etc.

HH

I always thought grilled cheese sangwitches were a slice of that plastic stuff they sell who's only relationship to real cheese is the color and never had one since I was a child. Then a couple of laid off Steelworkers in Hamilton bought a food truck and call it "Gorilla Cheese" get it gerilled cheese.. Had one at a street food fair on Ottawa Street some years ago and my interpretation of grilled cheese changed after 1 bite. Not great for the belly or heart but I now we love a good grilled cheese and soup for breakfast, lunch or supper. No fake Kraft slices ever.

They were on Dragon's Den but didn't get any money. They wanted to open a bricks and mortar place that wouldn't fly according to the Dragons because of costs and limitation of market. They never did open one.

God id never touch those plastic slices lol.

If it calls for cheese, it gets real cheese.

And yes a grilled cheese with prova on sourdough is next level tasty!

Not doing any serious cooking today. I do however have a pork belly quartered and soaking in a brine for the past two days. Needs to sit in the brine for at least another day in the fridge before I put the pieces in the smoker. Not sure what wood I'll use yet. Have not looked in the bin to see what I've got cut. I'm hoping the bacon turns out as good as last year's.

The brine is simple: for a large 8-10lb pork belly

2 qts apple juice

2 cups water

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 lb pickling salt

1 tsp ground pepper

1 tsp chili powder ( make my own very hot version)

1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Well the results are in. Probably had the meat in the brine a day too many, making it a little more salty. But, you can really taste the apple juice from the brine and the wood. The outside of the pork belly has a beautiful gold colour to the 2 lb. pieces. Got to have some good egg buns tomorrow for my sandwich.

Yesterday I was checking online for the difference between passata and tomato puree and tomato sauce after I saw passata mentioned in a recipe. Anyway, I saw a recipe for Puttanesca sauce mentioned on one site and i was very intrigued by the ingredients and by the very short preparation time required. Basically it's a meatless sauce made with anchovies, olives and capers, with a healthy dose of olive oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and a tomato source of choice, whether diced, crushed or whole ones through a sieve. Amazingly, all those strong flavors blend together very well, with nothing standing out too strong. You wouldn't even know there was anchovies in it, but they are essential to providing that final flavor.

So I did lots of research on it, specially checking out many of the comments on this site.http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11693/puttanesca-i/ The bottom line was that even people who didn't care for anchovies, capers or even olives raved about the recipe. Like many recipes it certainly has some versatility in quantities to taste, as well as a few additions. I added onion and basil flakes as well as plenty of extra garlic. :) ( I grow my own, that China crap is lousy) Plus I added a good shot of fresh grated quality Parm to my plate.

Here's some background on it. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/spaghetti-puttanesca-pasta-week-capers-olives-anchovies-recipe.html

So here is the recipe that I made up. I loved it big time, so did my wife. Had it again today lol. So good, and in less than 30 minutes it was finished.

1/3 cup evoo

4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped (1 small bulb in my case)

2 good pinches of hot pepper flakes (I should have used way more, it didn't really have much bite at all)

I can (50g) anchovie fillets, rinsed and finely chopped

3 tbs capers, rinsed

25 pitted kalamata olives, rinsed, medium chopped.

1 540ml can diced tomatoes

1 540 ml can crushed tomatoes

4 green onions, medium chop

2 more cloves of garlic, squashed and finely chopped. (just because I wanted to add some real fresh garlic flavor at the end)

1.5 tbs basil flakes. (It's all I had left, I probably would have added more) Fresh basil leaves, torn, would be nicer even I figure

Fresh grated Parm for the plate

So that's it. I used a deep non-stick pan with a lid and it worked great. It's thick right off the bat so I added the lid soon as it started spurting all over the stove.

Add the oil and heat to medium at most. Add chopped anchovies, garlic and pepper flakes.

Fry 3 minutes or so till garlic is just gold

Add tomatoes, olives and capers. Bring it up to a light simmer. I had to do some whisking to incorporate the oil at first, but after that you wouldn't have known the oil was in there, even on the plate, so my quantity was perfect. Then I put the lid on.

After about 5 minutes I added the 2 extra garlic cloves, green onion and the basil.

Cook on low heat for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat. If you had your pasta ready you can eat right away. I waited about 40 minutes before we did the pasta and just gave the sauce a quick reheat as it was still warm in the pan with the lid on.

The freshly grated parm was a nice addition I found. Quite pungent, way better than the shakers. It's all I use on my plate. IG brings in the "fresh" real Italian rounds

I really like my pasta, and I make plenty of sauces from scratch, but this dish really stood out for me, not just because it was a totally different kind of sauce for me, but because of the way some fairly strong flavors melded together to provide a real unique taste that was complex while not over powering in anything. Besides that, how about a dish so good that can be prepared in a half hour. Gotta love it.

I should add one thing here. The idea of no meat in a pasta sauce seems like sacrilege to me lol. So I had wifey saute up a pound of shrimp in garlic butter on the side while the pasta was cooking. :) Mixed some sauce in the drained pasta, then plated it. Added lots of shrimp cut in half, and then sauce and parm. OMG it was so enjoyable. The shrimp enhanced it to real high status for me.

Absolutely this dish is now on my menu. I love to discover new flavors. I can see the sauce being used for other things as well.

Hope you enjoy it too. Cheers

Edited by smitty55

Yesterday I was checking online for the difference between passata and tomato puree and tomato sauce after I saw passata mentioned in a recipe. Anyway, I saw a recipe for Puttanesca sauce mentioned on one site and i was very intrigued by the ingredients and by the very short preparation time required. Basically it's a meatless sauce made with anchovies, olives and capers, with a healthy dose of olive oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and a tomato source of choice, whether diced, crushed or whole ones through a sieve. Amazingly, all those strong flavors blend together very well, with nothing standing out too strong. You wouldn't even know there was anchovies in it, but they are essential to providing that final flavor.

So I did lots of research on it, specially checking out many of the comments on this site. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11693/puttanesca-i/ The bottom line was that even people who didn't care for anchovies, capers or even olives raved about the recipe. Like many recipes it certainly has some versatility in quantities to taste, as well as a few additions. I added onion and basil flakes as well as plenty of extra garlic. :) ( I grow my own, that China crap is lousy) Plus I added a good shot of fresh grated quality Parm to my plate.

Here's some background on it. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/spaghetti-puttanesca-pasta-week-capers-olives-anchovies-recipe.html

So here is the recipe that I made up. I loved it big time, so did my wife. Had it again today lol. So good, and in less than 30 minutes it was finished.

1/3 cup evoo

4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped (1 small bulb in my case)

2 good pinches of hot pepper flakes (I should have used way more, it didn't really have much bite at all)

I can (50g) anchovie fillets, rinsed and finely chopped

3 tbs capers, rinsed

25 pitted kalamata olives, rinsed, medium chopped.

1 540ml can diced tomatoes

1 540 ml can crushed tomatoes

4 green onions, medium chop

2 more cloves of garlic, squashed and finely chopped. (just because I wanted to add some real fresh garlic flavor at the end)

1.5 tbs basil flakes. (It's all I had left, I probably would have added more) Fresh basil leaves, torn, would be nicer even I figure

Fresh grated Parm for the plate

So that's it. I used a deep non-stick pan with a lid and it worked great. It's thick right off the bat so I added the lid soon as it started spurting all over the stove.

Add the oil and heat to medium at most. Add chopped anchovies, garlic and pepper flakes.

Fry 3 minutes or so till garlic is just gold

Add tomatoes, olives and capers. Bring it up to a light simmer. I had to do some whisking to incorporate the oil at first, but after that you wouldn't have known the oil was in there, even on the plate, so my quantity was perfect. Then I put the lid on.

After about 5 minutes I added the 2 extra garlic cloves, green onion and the basil.

Cook on low heat for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat. If you had your pasta ready you can eat right away. I waited about 40 minutes before we did the pasta and just gave the sauce a quick reheat as it was still warm in the pan with the lid on.

The freshly grated parm was a nice addition I found. Quite pungent, way better than the shakers. It's all I use on my plate. IG brings in the "fresh" real Italian rounds

I really like my pasta, and I make plenty of sauces from scratch, but this dish really stood out for me, not just because it was a totally different kind of sauce for me, but because of the way some fairly strong flavors melded together to provide a real unique taste that was complex while not over powering in anything. Besides that, how about a dish so good that can be prepared in a half hour. Gotta love it.

I should add one thing here. The idea of no meat in a pasta sauce seems like sacrilege to me lol. So I had wifey saute up a pound of shrimp in garlic butter on the side while the pasta was cooking. :) Mixed some sauce in the drained pasta, then plated it. Added lots of shrimp cut in half, and then sauce and parm. OMG it was so enjoyable. The shrimp enhanced it to real high status for me.

Absolutely this dish is now on my menu. I love to discover new flavors. I can see the sauce being used for other things as well.

Hope you enjoy it too. Cheers

Well this is whats for supper tonight!!! Sounds like a great dish!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Rick. Fresh Walleye or Pike fillets would work great too, or chicken breasts even. Just make sure to rinse the 3 items. I could just pick out a bit of saltiness in mine, just right. Plus I know you like some good heat so make sure to up the chili flakes, or if the kids are touchy use Tabasco on your plate like I did. Btw that amount worked out to be enough for about 4 average servings. Next time I might use some of my marinated olives in it too. Many folks on the All Recipes site used Anchovy paste instead. Apparently 1 fillet is equal to 1/2 tsp of the paste, but that's just a guideline as all fillets are not created equal.

Cheers

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Rick. Fresh Walleye or Pike fillets would work great too, or chicken breasts even. Just make sure to rinse the 3 items. I could just pick out a bit of saltiness in mine, just right. Plus I know you like some good heat so make sure to up the chili flakes, or if the kids are touchy use Tabasco on your plate like I did. Btw that amount worked out to be enough for about 4 average servings. Next time I might use some of my marinated olives in it too. Many folks on the All Recipes site used Anchovy paste instead. Apparently 1 fillet is equal to 1/2 tsp of the paste, but that's just a guideline as all fillets are not created equal.

Cheers

Im just gonna use sardines and my specialty olives I posted in this thread probably 50 pages ago lol. They have habenero heat.

Id use shrimp but Im not using frozen crap and I dont have a fresh source.

No fish either as im injured and I dont freeze fish either lol

So i think Ill go chicken breast route.

I showed this to my wife and shes excited to try it!

didn't OIM write about his putanesca sauce here a while back? Quick and hot like the ladies for whom the dish is named..............

Or am I just dreaming this?

Doug

Pretty sure he added a seperate thread and I moved it in here...

Should only be a page or two back unless im thinking of something else

Pretty sure he added a seperate thread and I moved it in here...

Should only be a page or two back unless im thinking of something else

Nope that was something else. I am sure OIM used that same name putanesca, because it is named (in Italian) for the whores. Unless my memory is completely gone, which is highly possible.

CALLING OLD IRONMAKER, COME IN PLEASE?

Doug

Nope that was something else. I am sure OIM used that same name putanesca, because it is named (in Italian) for the whores. Unless my memory is completely gone, which is highly possible.

CALLING OLD IRONMAKER, COME IN PLEASE?

Doug

Yeah I see that now. I was searching but couldnt find it.

We need a recipe book!???

Hard to find a post that might be 30 pages ago.

Try searching the word in the search function and see if it turns up!