cooking thread...

And canned moose for an afternoon snack!!!

Why Doug? Why?

WHY DID YOU ONLY GIVE ME ONE SMALL JAR?????

thats my type of eats right there! Sooooo good!!!!

Thanks a million!

Yes indeed and did I already tell you the smoked sturgeon was delicious!!!!

When you get that moose meat this fall I will talk you through the canning.

Doug

Yes indeed and did I already tell you the smoked sturgeon was delicious!!!!

When you get that moose meat this fall I will talk you through the canning.

Doug

Awesome! How much do you usually can? Id be really happy having 40 or 50 jars for the year.

Mind you I might burn through that pretty quick lol

And speaking of sturgeon I got one lb left. Perfect for a days snack with the kiddos?

Rick, a standard canner load would be nine jars the size of the one I gave you, and that would take about fifteen pounds of boneless fatless moose. If you have a gas stove or an older model, but NOT a ceramic top stove, you could up-size to a double canner. The weight of a double is too much for a glass or ceramic top stove.

Doug

Rick, a standard canner load would be nine jars the size of the one I gave you, and that would take about fifteen pounds of boneless fatless moose. If you have a gas stove or an older model, but NOT a ceramic top stove, you could up-size to a double canner. The weight of a double is too much for a glass or ceramic top stove.

Doug

Darn thats pretty good!

In all honesty I think 50 jars would be ideal.enough to get through winter

What part(s) of the moose are best? Id think for this application id be using some "spare parts" or am I wrong?

Just me thinking out loud, pretty sure it doesnt matter.

If you screw up moose meat your pretty much useless???

Rick, any muscle meat is fine. You want it lean, ie no fat, and you don't want much gristle so the shanks would not be very good. Any non-gristle stew meat would be just fine.

And for your crew you'd want to can it in one litre jars, seven at a time.

When you get your moose meat we can chat over the phone about spices etc etc.

Doug

It's interesting that the cooking thread is less visited during the summer months. We eat a heck of a lot more in the winter. A few ripe tomatoes, a Vidalia onion, fresh basil, olive oil, oregano a can of good tuna and I'm good to go. Throw in a crusty Portuguese bun and ferget aboud id.

Rick I wasn't going to say anything but you have gained a few chins there kiddo. Good you are going to do something about it. The older we get the harder to diet and exercise it away. The guys used to bug me when I gained weight. "Hey Johnny D. you have more chins than a Chinese phone book", actually a good one. If I had to cook for a dozen I would gain weight just taste testing those gorgeous meals you make them.

It's interesting that the cooking thread is less visited during the summer months. We eat a heck of a lot more in the winter. A few ripe tomatoes, a Vidalia onion, fresh basil, olive oil, oregano a can of good tuna and I'm good to go. Throw in a crusty Portuguese bun and ferget aboud id.

Rick I wasn't going to say anything but you have gained a few chins there kiddo. Good you are going to do something about it. The older we get the harder to diet and exercise it away. The guys used to bug me when I gained weight. "Hey Johnny D. you have more chins than a Chinese phone book", actually a good one. If I had to cook for a dozen I would gain weight just taste testing those gorgeous meals you make them.

Oh a couple chins brotha? Im 37 pounds above my "set point". Thats very fat and easily the heaviest ive ever been(210.7lbs).

Not only is it bad on me and for my kiddos, its sucks for work.

Anyhow, I know the ropes and can knock it off in a few good months. Its not easy by any means, but ill getter done.

Im just happy im done smoking

(And for the record, ya told me im fat on the phone a week or so back???)

Pressure canned 6 pints of lake trout the other day. 2 plain, 2 with a bit of olive oil and 2 with siracha. Tastes great. Similar texture to canned tuna with flavour similar to canned Salmon. Great way to use trout.

Can't seem to upload th pics.

Edited by Consigliere

Yup way to hot to cook inside,

Whole chicken for 6 bucks. Did as I may with it. Split and rubbed it down good with some spices. Little bit of this, a little bit of that and a whole bunch of homemade family recipe sauce. Some fresh corn from Chappels farm, and a couple baked taters.

DSCF3317_zpsdh56pbo2.jpg

DSCF3321_zpsx6kipwai.jpg

Bit of crispying

DSCF3322_zpsnwciftrr.jpg

Suculant to Say the least. Cant beat fresh Ontario corn. DA BEST.

DSCF3326_zpseg2pow4m.jpg

I really don't get this sweet bi-colour " Peaches and Cream" type corn, I much prefer corn that tasted like corn and was all yellow like the variety " Seneca Chief " that was a popular variety in my youth. I purposely pick out the older ears in the bin to get some corn flavour.

I really don't get this sweet bi-colour " Peaches and Cream" type corn, I much prefer corn that tasted like corn and was all yellow like the variety " Seneca Chief " that was a popular variety in my youth. I purposely pick out the older ears in the bin to get some corn flavour.

I hear ya Dave. All my years growing up it was yellow sweet corn. To be honest, these cobs were nice and plump and tasted like sweet corn. Not a big fan of P&C corn. Niblets are smaller. Theres an organic grower I go to for REAL sweet corn. Chappels was just on my travels.

I hear ya Dave. All my years growing up it was yellow sweet corn. To be honest, these cobs were nice and plump and tasted like sweet corn. Not a big fan of P&C corn. Niblets are smaller. Theres an organic grower I go to for REAL sweet corn. Chappels was just on my travels.

Yeah, those you did up looked pretty good and mature, often I think they pull it too soon. The bags of frozen corn at the supermarket are often all yellow kernels so some one is still growing it but it doesn't make it to the fresh market.

Edited by dave524

IMG_20160820_162838_zpsyv47aeub.jpg

Messin' around this weekend and threw these together. They didn't last long... Hot banana peppers, seeded and the white parts removed; feta cheese mixed up with a fork till it is consistency of cottage cheese, scoop of minced garlic, diced sweet red peppers and tomatoes, drop on the Q till the bottom starts to turn brown and blister. Be sure to get two before putting out for everybody else, Wash down with your favourite ice cold ale.

Well my goodness. I was thinking of you while watching a movie. Music related of course.LOL

This will be on my grill this weekend bud. Not sure about the hot peppers for the udder half, but Im sure what I use, it will come out just fine. You do know though, I might have to wrap in BACON. :lol: Walked into Zhers tonight for some vittles and they had Sniders bacon on sale for $2,35. There were packs marked with 50% off that. Lets just say, the freezer is stocked up. LOL

Oh ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DUET , Ya it,s B rated but, ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing like some smoked turkey soup on a wet damp day.

DSCF3394.JPG

DSCF3395.JPG

DSCF3397.JPG

DSCF3398.JPG

Getting happy happy.

DSCF3399.JPG

Will remove turkey, sperate the meat, put it back in, simmer for about 2 hours then add the noodles.

Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.

Good for a couple of dinners for us.

Sure got alot of meat off that leg. Meat in, noodles in, and just the way I like it. Bit of brooth, and lots of noodles. Just enough brooth to sup up with bread. A few shakes of the hot sauce and good to go.

DSCF3400.JPG

DSCF3401.JPG

DSCF3402.JPG

Would ship you a bowl full rick, but not sure of the ETA. LOL

Sure got alot of meat off that leg. Meat in, noodles in, and just the way I like it. Bit of brooth, and lots of noodles. Just enough brooth to sup up with bread. A few shakes of the hot sauce and good to go.

DSCF3400.JPG

DSCF3401.JPG

DSCF3402.JPG

Would ship you a bowl full rick, but not sure of the ETA. LOL

Hahahaha, no worries bud!

I got some pork steaks cooking in a pepper vinagrette with potatoes, celery and carrots. We'll survive

???

That looks mighty tasty though Brian!

That soup would have been VERY welcome a few days ago. I was up in the mountains near Fort Steele BC on an elk hunt and we had heavy frosts most nights. One member of our party shot a nice 6 x 6 bull elk, so eventually I will have some elk meat. It is my favourite of the antlered game, by far.

Tonight I am back in the camper in Greenwood BC along the Crowsnest Highway. Next hunt is up the Athabasca River for whitetail deer and black bear, in less than two weeks.

But NO halibut, and NO elk for yours truly this trip, guess I will just have to do this again.........

Doug

That soup would have been VERY welcome a few days ago. I was up in the mountains near Fort Steele BC on an elk hunt and we had heavy frosts most nights. One member of our party shot a nice 6 x 6 bull elk, so eventually I will have some elk meat. It is my favourite of the antlered game, by far.

Tonight I am back in the camper in Greenwood BC along the Crowsnest Highway. Next hunt is up the Athabasca River for whitetail deer and black bear, in less than two weeks.

But NO halibut, and NO elk for yours truly this trip, guess I will just have to do this again.........

Doug

Sounds like a great excuse doug!!!

Best of luck on the future hunts. Lay down some tobacco on the north side of a tree, see if that luck changes!

I made 5 gallons of chilli with 4 seeds of ghost pepper 4 days back and brought it in to work for the guys/gals in the field. Boy o boy did they appreciate that!

My niece lives in Prince Rupert and made a stop at my place a couple of weeks ago on her way to a three week trip across Europe. She over-nighted here at my place in Toronto and when she opened her luggage here at the house, half he bag was filled with frozen, vac packed fish.

She has been in "the Rupe" for a number of years and has be-befriended a number of First Nations folks. Many are fisherman and have invited her to go out and fish with them. They eat fresh seafood as often as they like.

So, her little care package contains;

-15 pounds of Pacific Halibut

-a number of Chum Salmon fillets

-half a dozen Pacific Black cod

The Halibut was simply delicious, prepared with my own coating. I have yet to cook any of the Cod, could use some advice on a good recipe if anyone has one!

HH

So, her little care package contains;

-15 pounds of Pacific Halibut

-a number of Chum Salmon fillets

-half a dozen Pacific Black cod

The Halibut was simply delicious, prepared with my own coating. I have yet to cook any of the Cod, could use some advice on a good recipe if anyone has one!

HH

Lucky you! :D