cooking thread...

I've a great baked bean side dish to go with any meat dish. Great variation at camp too.

Hawaiian baked beans

1 large onion, chopped and lightly saute'd to soften

1/2 lb diced bacon

1 can pineapple tidbits and juice

3 cans maple(my preference) beans

1 tsp crushed garlic

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp crushed hot pepper flakes (choose your poison)

Mix together in a 10 x 14 pan and bake in moderate oven til cooked through. I like to cook these casseroles at a lower temperature of 300F so they don't dry out too quickly.

Then you can have a good old "Blazing Saddles" campfire.

I've a great baked bean side dish to go with any meat dish. Great variation at camp too.

Hawaiian baked beans

1 large onion, chopped and lightly saute'd to soften

1/2 lb diced bacon

1 can pineapple tidbits and juice

3 cans maple(my preference) beans

1 tsp crushed garlic

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp crushed hot pepper flakes (choose your poison)

Mix together in a 10 x 14 pan and bake in moderate oven til cooked through. I like to cook these casseroles at a lower temperature of 300F so they don't dry out too quickly.

Then you can have a good old "Blazing Saddles" campfire.

What not to eat before ice fishing in a small hut!!!

You folks are beauties. I have gained about 10 freekin pounds because of this thread. Mods please take this down for the sake of all of our elasticized pants!!

Yeah, Yeah! Sure, sure! Blame the fishing gang for trying to be helpful. It's like me blaming the hangover on my son because he cracked the case open. Lol.

Tonight's supper will be curried rabbit with apples and raisins on a bed of basmati rice, should be tasty. Now whether a PICTURE will convey the tastiness, I guess we shall see.

I am an older man, my phone does not take pictures, and my camera does not work as a phone, and this whole idea of taking pictures of the food I eat is <<ahem>> pretty odd for me..........but I remember Red Green's Men's Prayer:

"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Doug

Don't you hate when they do that? And when they throw the cap of the Crown or Smirnoff away. I have to blame someone Bruce, might as well be a nice group of people, I almost said guys.

I was taught that leftover wine and booze is never the same once you crack the cork. Leaving any in the bottle is just wasteful. At least that's what Zio Tonine told me when he cracked open that 1 gallon jug of 10 year old Marsala.

About 30 years ago there was a place in Milton called Hogshead Brew Club, I think it was on Nipissing Rd.

That was back in the days when you actually had to go in and measure things out and brew it. I enjoyed doing it and started playing around with recipies and developed one that a lot of people seemed to really like.

They actually took out a full page add in the local news paper with my picture on it inviting people to come in and try Bignell's Pilsner. I have a laminated copy of it around here somewhere. I don't know if they are still in business or not and my copy of the recipe is long gone but it was a lot of fun at the time.

Crap I've never had my picture in ads about about beer! I was featured in Typography advertising and new business pitches many times and still am.

But many years back on the way to the Sportsmen show 'we' for some reason ended up at the Brick Brewery in the Liberty Village.

My good friend just walked in Are we going to get arrested and bad feeling until the BIG guy came out, Mr Brickman himself.

Beer was free!

So there I was, in the kitchen last evening, taking a picture of supper, and my wife happened along......

Wife: Whatcha doin' hon?

Me: Taking a picture.

Wife: A picture of WHAT?

Me: (feeling sheepish) Well, of the supper.

Wife: And why, EXACTLY, are you taking a picture of the supper?

Me: Well, I am going to put it on this fishing website that I visit.

Wife: Oh, so people take pictures of their cooked fish?

Me: Er, um, not really, like this is rabbit.

Wife: What does rabbit have to do with a fishing website?

Me: Well, folks take pictures of their food and post it for other people to see.

Wife: That's pretty weird.

Me: emmmmmm

Wife: And this is a FISHING website you're talking about?

Me: yep

Wife: And people are posting pictures of food, that has nothing to do with fishing, on this website.

Me: yep

Wife: That is really odd.

{At this point dearly beloved looks at the supper, clearly wondering if her husband has finally gone over the edge, and whether she should call the people in white jackets to get him committed...}

Me: Well, it's kind of interesting to see what other folks are cooking........

Wife: that's nice dear.

back to Old Ironmaker..................thirty-five years, and all to the same woman. That's ten more than a life sentence.............

and back to bigugli.............that may be true for your "wimmens" but mine is not and has never been a cook nor a baker. She did not marry me for my looks - she married me because I could cook! :angel:

Doug

and back to bigugli.............that may be true for your "wimmens" but mine is not and has never been a cook nor a baker. She did not marry me for my looks - she married me because I could cook! :angel:

Doug

Judy tain't no Betty Crocker neither. Lol

Tonight's supper will be curried rabbit with apples and raisins on a bed of basmati rice, should be tasty. Now whether a PICTURE will convey the tastiness, I guess we shall see.

I am an older man, my phone does not take pictures, and my camera does not work as a phone, and this whole idea of taking pictures of the food I eat is <<ahem>> pretty odd for me..........but I remember Red Green's Men's Prayer:

"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Doug

That sounds awesome Doug. Been a while since I had rabbit.

Tonight's dinner (and future dinners) was thrown together from some freezer items and cupboard items that needed to be used up.

Took out some frozen turkey stock I made a few months back.

Added a bunch of frozen turkey meat I had put aside for the soup.

Added a few veggies, diced carrots, celery, onion and some frozen blanched green beans and snow peas from the fall.

The bulk of the soup is mushrooms and green lentils.

It'll be served shortly with some fresh sliced buttered bread. :)

jPtuEYi.jpg

oyTDJ1b.jpg