cooking thread...

Back to Big Cliff.....

...........yes, you should smoke your side bacon with maple wood chips for sure. Hickory will definitely give you a pretty darned smokey product and (in my view) detract from the flavour. (and don't even THINK about mesquite...)

Cold smoked, with maple, it turns out FABULOUS.

How much are you paying for your pork bellies? Last time I asked my butcher quoted me six bucks a pound...............and I can buy awesome smoked side bacon from a German butcher for seven bucks a pound.............

Doug

I already have a cabnet full of cook books, I could always use one more and $20.00 would only be a SMALL dent in what I have already paid!

I own one cookbook lol.

The rest is trial and error or things I get on here or from friends.

Of course a few dishes are also passed down. Nobody, and I mean nobody could fry klick like my grandpa ???

Edited by manitoubass2

It was crushed... I just wish I added more onions, man o man that complimented the meat

I love whole onions done with a roast, whether beef, pork, or game. The flavours are just so good together. Gotta put in at least a pound.

I love whole onions done with a roast, whether beef, pork, or game. The flavours are just so good together. Gotta put in at least a pound.

Yep, I added 6, wish I woulda doubled that. 3 of my kids wont eat them, but the others and me just cant get enough.

Im kinda weird with mushrooms, garlic and onions. If cooked I could just make a plate of all three and chow down lol.

Yep,

Im kinda weird with mushrooms, garlic and onions. If cooked I could just make a plate of all three and chow down lol.

I've been known to sit down to a big pan of wine saute'd mushrooms and garlic all by my lonesome. Wife won't touch the things. Won't go near a plate of liver bacon and onion either.

I've been known to sit down to a big pan of wine saute'd mushrooms and garlic all by my lonesome. Wife won't touch the things. Won't go near a plate of liver bacon and onion either.

My wife just shakes her head lol. More for me.

Alot of dishes I make have a combination or all three of these components.

Sauteed criminis in butter, with just some sea salt and cracked pepper is a favorite for me.

Edited by manitoubass2

Something I do when I bake a deer (or moose) heart: I first of all trim all of the fat, then I cut out everything inside the heart, leaving the walls and about half of the top. I cut the sinewy bits off the parts I have cut out, then dice them up fine, add celery, onions, bread crumbs and seasonings (always including summer savoury) to make a stuffing for the heart. Then wrap the stuffed heart with bacon and cook in the oven, covered, at low-ish heat for a couple to three hours depending on the size of the heart. Delicious!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Shag that sounds like good heart.

The gang I moose hunt with have a bit of a tradition.

For years we have been cooking moose heart the night of the harvest (if lucky enuf to get a tag & lucky enuf to put an arrow into a moose)

It has become a learning experience over the years & some have been better than others.

The last few hearts were stuffed with a mixture of wild rice,onions,celery,garlic & some chopped apple.

Wrapped in bacon,foil wrapped & slow cooked over the coals.

The recipe is constantly evolving,maybe because there is allways some celebratory drinks involved & our memories are not as good as they once were.

Back to Blue Lk, that moose heart sounds delicious!

I did not mention it, and neither did you, but for the benefit of somebody reading these recipes, it is VERY important to rinse the heart thoroughly and get your fingers into all the nooks and crannies. Otherwise you end up with big ugly blood clots in your cooked heart - which won't harm you but they are certainly unappealing.

Doug

Trying your ribs tonight..... Slow cooker was not big Enough for the two slabs I had......

So...

Used a electric Turkey cooker we got for our wedding.... (I knew we'd use it!)

The house smells amazing right now.....

About an hour to dinner!

G

Trying your ribs tonight..... Slow cooker was not big Enough for the two slabs I had......

So...

Used a electric Turkey cooker we got for our wedding.... (I knew we'd use it!)

The house smells amazing right now.....

About an hour to dinner!

G

Awesome!!!! I hope you enjoy! Good or bad post it up!

Be careful pulling them out so they dont fall apart lol. That dish is the definition of "fall off the bone".

And cook the sauce going after, whatever is left cheese cloth it and save it. Its good on other foods as well

And post a pic if ya can!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

PSX_20150315_171037_zpsacrlra1n.jpg

Here is how the chilli looks one hour in

1.5lbs cooked beef, seasoned with cracked black pepper, onion powder, and garlic.

Added to crock pot after I added 3 cans stewed tomatoes. 3 cans of kidney beans, 2 cans black beans, 15 chopped mushrooms, 4 tablespoons of minced garlic, two small cans of tomatoe paste, 1/2 cup sugar, a ton of paprika, turmeric, chilli flakes, and pepper, and two dimes of dried habenero. Lol I think thats it? Oh 2 cups of local corn

But the dish is far from done...

Edited by manitoubass2