cooking thread...

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is serious about loosing weight all you have to do is watch a marathon of " My 600LB Life."  Those poor folks with a food addiction have it bad. The thing about that addiction unlike drugs, alcohol, gambling etc. is you don't need the aforementioned to live but one has to eat everyday.

If anyone here has Type 2 Diabetes talk to your Doc and look into taking Jardiance. An automatic weight loss of 10 to 20 lbs.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

I had forgotten just how tasty  drippings from the pan could be when soaked up with fresh crusty bread.:wub:

Oh I will not give up my eggs and bacon on the ice Bruce. I am allowed to have one bad thing, well maybe 2, wait,3, ah the hell with it. Im eating. LOL

I had forgotten just how tasty  drippings from the pan could be when soaked up with fresh crusty bread.:wub:

The absolute WORST heartburn I ever had would have been back in the early 80s in a hunt camp back of Haliburton.  Our cook, who was probably in his 90s at the time, had roasted a lovely big bird (think it was probably a capon) for supper and was about to make gravy.  He skimmed all of the fat out of the pan and left it in a gravy boat, intending to throw it out later, AND he told all of us it was fat and not good to eat.  But it sure smelled good, and a buddy and I had a wee taste of it with fresh bread.  YEAH!  It was DELICIOUS!!!  And buddy and I ate the whole container, probably 2 cups worth, with bread, BEFORE supper.

NEVER did I have heartburn like that, not before or since...................<<<<<OINK>>>>>>

The absolute WORST heartburn I ever had would have been back in the early 80s in a hunt camp back of Haliburton.  Our cook, who was probably in his 90s at the time, had roasted a lovely big bird (think it was probably a capon) for supper and was about to make gravy.  He skimmed all of the fat out of the pan and left it in a gravy boat, intending to throw it out later, AND he told all of us it was fat and not good to eat.  But it sure smelled good, and a buddy and I had a wee taste of it with fresh bread.  YEAH!  It was DELICIOUS!!!  And buddy and I ate the whole container, probably 2 cups worth, with bread, BEFORE supper.

NEVER did I have heartburn like that, not before or since...................<<<<<OINK>>>>>>

We got one of those Instant Pot electric pressure cookers on sale and did our first meal ........... Baked Beans :thumbsup_anim:  navy beans, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard, worcestershire, tomato paste, bacon or ham, chopped onion ... lots of variation if you google recipes.  50 minutes in the pot and 10 minutes cool off, tastes just like you soaked the beans all night and cooked all day. Wife is a southern gal so she whipped up some cornbread and we served the beans over a slice of cornbread. Yum.:canadian:

• 2 weeks later...

Never gets old, well old,,,,er. Smoked turkey soup.

Those that know, trying to keep a whole onion in tack while doing a soup, is a bit of work.  Gentleness in the stiring.I put three in this pot and managed to get one to stay together. This was my grandfathers and pops, one thing they would get in their bowl. I too, love a whole seasoned onion . Nothing sweeter. 

Some course chopped carrots and celery, added seasoning and it,s all good and belly warming. I like a bit of pasta instead of taters. 

ZJobbpr.jpg?1

That Is my lone survivor onion. ALL MINE.:thumbsup_anim:

1p6Cibe.jpg?1

Large fresh Italian loaf of bread and butter on the side.

I had turkey noodle soup for lunch, just what the doctor ordered for a snowy damp day.

I have never tried, nor even heard of, leaving an onion whole in a pot of soup.  Mind you, I generally cook with extra large vidalias or other sweet onions, not sure how a softball-sized onion would make out in my stock pots.  I also like to simmer my soups for quite a while.  I can see how trying to keep an onion whole would be challenging!

Tonight it will be re-heated pulled pork I made a couple days ago.  It's had time to really let the flavours soak in, should be lovely!

Doug

The trick is to not cut off the head or root ends to much Doug. I botched 2 of the 3. Just ate it. So sweet. Soup was great. It seems I can never make this wrong. Hell, it soup, what can go wrong?  I do not add salt to the soup. I prefer to add to taste, when eating it. I find salt these days to be very over powering. If that makes sense. 

And here I am just finished up making a cold Italian pasta salad with feta, peppers and onion for my lunch for the next few days and now want a turkey soup...  

As for the whole onion thingy, hell I an SO going to try that next time I make anything in the slow cooker! 

34 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

I always cook an extra onion or 3. Sooo good!

I'm sauteeing a bunch of garlic right now for some shrimp, smells so good in here!

I've always cooked with garlic, but it seems I'm using more and more these days. If you crisp it on the skillet it's very good on almost anything

Rick, what do you mean, exactly, "crisp it on the skillet?"  Whole cloves?  Crushed?  In EVO?  Dry pan?  etc..........

4 hours ago, misfish said:

The trick is to not cut off the head or root ends to much Doug. I botched 2 of the 3. Just ate it. So sweet. Soup was great. It seems I can never make this wrong. Hell, it soup, what can go wrong?  I do not add salt to the soup. I prefer to add to taste, when eating it. I find salt these days to be very over powering. If that makes sense. 

No different than whole onions in the roast pan. Always put in 5-6 cooking onions in the pan with turkey or roasts. Cut off as little as possible from the ends.

• 3 weeks later...

I never did a shoulder, but I certainly have done pork roasts in the smoker.  For me, it has always been the boneless loin halves that come on sale a few times a year.  Last week they were on for a buck a pound!!!

Brine:  a couple quarts of apple juice, about four cloves of crushed garlic, about a cup or so of brown sugar (or maple syrup) and a cup or maybe a hair less of white salt, I put it all in a big plastic bag with the roast and get the air out of the bag so the roast is immersed, into the fridge for overnight, then into the smoker.  I know some folks rinse the brine off, I do not see any good reason to do that.

For a loin about six or seven pounds, I smoke it for two pans of smoke in my Big Chief, which would be smoke for two to two and a half hours.  Too much smoke makes it taste like creosote........  I have used maple, cherry and apple all with good results for pork.

Then into the oven in a COVERED roasting pan until you have 180 on the meat thermometer.

And smoked pork roast GRAVY is absolutely awesome.  Hell I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.....

Doug

thanks Doug - that sounds really interesting - the sweet / salt combo sounds like it ought make for a really full flavour. 

The shoulder comes with the skin and a thick layer of fat (makes awesome crackling) , unlike the loins, (last night's supper - 1/4 of one of the shoulders, rubbed with seas salt, paprika and garlic. - well received by family :) )

68O9eNO.jpg

gonna have consider how I deal with that - thinking crosshatch down to the meat before I marinade, or maybe just trim it off

10 minutes ago, fish_fishburn said:

a dab of bacon fat or butter and put in a corner of the barbe

Thanks!  I am going to try that.  I have done potatoes like that, including ones that I hollowed out and put bacon, vidalias and butter on the inside, but never tried to cook a whole onion.  I like the idea!

Doug